• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Waterworks Street

chocks2

master brummie
I spent many happy hours at my Grandparents house in Waterworks Street, Aston, back in the early 60's.
Sadly now my memory for names and places is starting to fade. I remember that on a Sunday lunchtime Gran would give me a large jug and send me down to the pub (The Church Tavern I think it was called, on the corner of Lichfield Rd & Waterworks St) for two pints of Nut Brown Ale and even though I was only about 8 years old I was always served without a problem.
Opposite the pub was a cafe and by all accounts it was famous for its bacon butties. Just up the street was a little general store on the corner of Montague Street and Mrs???? who used to run the store always used to cut a 2oz piece of cheese of this huge block for my sister and I. I don't think I ever saw her weigh the cheese and I don't think that I ever saw her wash the knife either, she just used to wipe it on her apron.
Sometimes I wish I could just turn the clock back to those good old days but i suppose we all think the same.

p.s. Does anyone remember what happened to the wooden ship at the back of The King Edward pub

heres a photo of waterworks rd, unfortunately a bit further up, Aston hall rd school is on the right, the lady who kept the shop on the corner of waterworks st and montague st was called Mrs Harrison and her hygiene did leave a lot to be desired, if you search the threads youll find a photo of the last chance cafe, which was on the opposite side to the Church Tavern

Last edited:
Mr Harrison Yes, Thats the woman.I remember her very well but her name was gone from my memory. Thanks for the info Astonite and the photo is great

the last chance was not oppersite the king edward
you mean the church tavern the king edward was on the junction of aston hall rd
facing the private block of flats by salford resser [ in those days they was private
kathy hollond and her husband was care takers in in the fifties ] there ,
best wishes astonian ..

sorry Astonian, had my wires crossed, should know better, I lived on Lichfield rd for years, my Mom worked at both pubs in the fifties, I remember a Les Freeman being the gaffer of one of them ,think it was the Church tavern.

hi astonite
you do not have to opolgise. i knew that you was geting your wires crossed
i often do it myself when you are typing in fast
it was nice to let me know about your dad
yes aston.when you become a publican its in your blood and you cannot
get it out of your system ,i,m speaking from experience my self
i left brum and still moved into a club i still keep my hand in
with other gathers and long time friends i get people asking me to
take a pub on for them ,and i have got my old dutchess
she keeps asking for me to go back in permantly,mind you she is years
younger than me she,s abit of a dolly bird with looks and more
energetic than me now
i would not want to go pemantly i made my shilling
so i will leave it to the younger ones
by the way when i was a little kid i used to help the postman down
water works rd pushing is bike and posting some letters through doors
before going to school in the morning
i would dash back home and get ready for school in them days
the post man would come at the crack of dawn
i lived up by thompson the butchers on the lichfield rd
and i went to upper thomas st ,
best wishes astonian ;;;;;

Ray
The photo is great, the man in the pic is opposite where my grand parents lived but friends of ours lived in one of the houses pictured.
Much of my pocket money was spent on sweets in that little shop on the corner of Union Road. Thanks! it really does bring back happy memories.

I lived in a back house in Aston Hall road but we jumped over the wall and cut through into Waterworks Street where the were an Irish family called Mullins and a Coloured family called Searchwell .My name is Ivan Johnson and we lived at 7/147 Aston Hall Road and went to Aston Hall Road School from 1960 -1966 ,the headmisteress was Miss Smith .

I lived in a back house in Aston Hall road but we jumped over the wall and cut through into Waterworks Street where the were an Irish family called Mullins and a Coloured family called Searchwell .My name is Ivan Johnson and we lived at 7/147 Aston Hall Road and went to Aston Hall Road School from 1960 -1966 ,the headmisteress was Miss Smith .
Hello Ivan. I used to live next door to the searchwell's (the other side of the entry). I also knew the mullins's. Fancied carmel mullins. Always spent time together.My dad did not like the family, so kept me & carmel apart. She had a brother Kieran.

I was at Slade Road school with a lad called Searchwell. Also recall a Sulivan from Waterworks Street and a Read form Grosvenor Road.

I vaguely remember a lad named Ivan from our area.You are a year younger than me. I think you may have hung around with me & my brothers.

I spent many happy hours at my Grandparents house in Waterworks Street, Aston, back in the early 60's.
Sadly now my memory for names and places is starting to fade. I remember that on a Sunday lunchtime Gran would give me a large jug and send me down to the pub (The Church Tavern I think it was called, on the corner of Lichfield Rd & Waterworks St) for two pints of Nut Brown Ale and even though I was only about 8 years old I was always served without a problem.
Opposite the pub was a cafe and by all accounts it was famous for its bacon butties. Just up the street was a little general store on the corner of Montague Street and Mrs???? who used to run the store always used to cut a 2oz piece of cheese of this huge block for my sister and I. I don't think I ever saw her weigh the cheese and I don't think that I ever saw her wash the knife either, she just used to wipe it on her apron.
Sometimes I wish I could just turn the clock back to those good old days but i suppose we all think the same.

p.s. Does anyone remember what happened to the wooden ship at the back of The King Edward pub
I sometimes wish I could back the clock to those days. Such brilliant times. Always made our own fun without causing trouble. I used to go into that little shop. I, like you, have difficulty remembering names from those days, but that lady who ran that shop was really lovely.She knew how to look after her lovely customers.I used to live just down towards the church tavern from her shop (same side of the road, by the big entry). We used to think they were hard times, but looking back now, they were the best. How I miss those days.

Hi, I’m new to this forum but it is fascinating! My family lived in Guildford St, New John Street West (where I was born), Allesley St then Waterworks Street where we had a corner shop before being moved to Kingstanding in 1969. My brothers went to Elkington St and Upper Thomas St and I went to Alma St and the Aston Hall Rd. Dad was on the buses at Millar St. It seems really strange to see the names of all these places again. I wasn’t born until 1960 so don’t remember as much as some people on there but it’s great to read about all the same. Thanks

Hi, I’m new to this forum but it is fascinating! My family lived in Guildford St, New John Street West (where I was born), Allesley St then Waterworks Street where we had a corner shop before being moved to Kingstanding in 1969. My brothers went to Elkington St and Upper Thomas St and I went to Alma St and the Aston Hall Rd. Dad was on the buses at Millar St. It seems really strange to see the names of all these places again. I wasn’t born until 1960 so don’t remember as much as some people on there but it’s great to read about all the same. Thanks
hello alwin and welcome....if you use the search box you will see that we have a thread for both guildford street and new john street west which you may find of interest as there are lots of photos to look at...always start reading a thread from post 1 so that you do not miss anything

lyn

hello alwin and welcome....if you use the search box you will see that we have a thread for both guildford street and new john street west which you may find of interest as there are lots of photos to look at...always start reading a thread from post 1 so that you do not miss anything

lyn
Hello Alwin, & welcome to this wonderful forum. I see that you lived in waterworks street. I used to live there too, & remember the lovely corner shops.. What number did you live at. I used to live at number 26, by the large entry which led upi to the garages. I had 2 brothers who went to aston hall road school, though they often played truant.

Hello Alwin, & welcome to this wonderful forum. I see that you lived in waterworks street. I used to live there too, & remember the lovely corner shops.. What number did you live at. I used to live at number 26, by the large entry which led upi to the garages. I had 2 brothers who went to aston hall road school, though they often played truant.
Hello! I can’t remember the number…I used to but it has just dropped out of my head. It was a general shop selling food and sweets and all sorts. It was painted red and on the corner with Aston Hall Rd. There was an advert board on the side and they used to paste film posters on it.The school was just across the road. There was another shop further up Waterworks St by Montague St which was run by Mrs Harrison(?) who had grey hair and I was a bit scared of her. I think there was another shop in front of us…a chip shop? We were only there 1966-69. There was an old man called Horace who wore a flat cap and came in every day for troach drops. When we were shut people would just knock on the side door and Mum would always give them whatever they wanted. Good to know someone else remembers the street …sometimes it all seems like a dream and there is nothing to see there now.

Hello! I can’t remember the number…I used to but it has just dropped out of my head. It was a general shop selling food and sweets and all sorts. It was painted red and on the corner with Aston Hall Rd. There was an advert board on the side and they used to paste film posters on it.The school was just across the road. There was another shop further up Waterworks St by Montague St which was run by Mrs Harrison(?) who had grey hair and I was a bit scared of her. I think there was another shop in front of us…a chip shop? We were only there 1966-69. There was an old man called Horace who wore a flat cap and came in every day for troach drops. When we were shut people would just knock on the side door and Mum would always give them whatever they wanted. Good to know someone else remembers the street …sometimes it all seems like a dream and there is nothing to see there now.
Yes, it is nice to find someone who lived in the same street. Mrs Harrison was lovely. I always got sweets from her when I used to go in for 5 park drive for my mum. I remember the shop on the corner opposite the school, & the one on the corner of waterworks street & union street. I have a photo of this somewhere, & I think, of the chippy. I remember old Horace. Such a wonderful gentleman. I miss those days. I agree. It is all just a dream now. Everything we knew has long gone & replaced with rubbish.

Yes, it is nice to find someone who lived in the same street. Mrs Harrison was lovely. I always got sweets from her when I used to go in for 5 park drive for my mum. I remember the shop on the corner opposite the school, & the one on the corner of waterworks street & union street. I have a photo of this somewhere, & I think, of the chippy. I remember old Horace. Such a wonderful gentleman. I miss those days. I agree. It is all just a dream now. Everything we knew has long gone & replaced with rubbish.
Oh wow! Can’t believe there is someone who remembers Horace and Mrs Harrison!! My Mum smoked Park Drive too…and my brother did until relatively recently! The names Betty Chadwick and Susan Blakemore spring to mind…ring any bells with you? I don’t know why but we have no photos which is a shame. Perhaps because we didn’t own a camera

Oh wow! Can’t believe there is someone who remembers Horace and Mrs Harrison!! My Mum smoked Park Drive too…and my brother did until relatively recently! The names Betty Chadwick and Susan Blakemore spring to mind…ring any bells with you? I don’t know why but we have no photos which is a shame. Perhaps because we didn’t own a camera
I have just checked a map of the area. I think your door number was 67. Susan Blakemore sounds familiar. I know the feeling when it comes to photographs. Thankfully, my mum lept a few, but were lost when she past away. Here is a couple from the street for you. The shop on the corner of union street was called perries.

Attachments

• Waterworks Street,Aston..jpg
    Waterworks Street,Aston..jpg
    379.6 KB · Views: 30
  • Waterworks street..jpg
    Waterworks street..jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 31
This a photo (from another thread) of 67 Waterworks St, occupied by Charles and Rose Duffill from the 1930s to the 1960s...

Waterworks.jpeg

...the other corner (barely in shot) was no. 64.

This a photo (from another thread) of 67 Waterworks St, occupied by Charles and Rose Duffill from the 1930s to the 1960s...

View attachment 170634

...the other corner (barely in shot) was no. 64.
Oh my! We took over from the Duffills in 1966. I don’t remember there being a name above the door. Perhaps we covered it over. The McGuinesses lived next door, I used to play in their yard. Ours was covered over to use as storage for the shop. I didn’t see it again after we moved out in the summer of 1969. It is strangely upsetting to see it like this but I’m very glad to see the photo all the same. Thank you so much.
I have just checked a map of the area. I think your door number was 67. Susan Blakemore sounds familiar. I know the feeling when it comes to photographs. Thankfully, my mum lept a few, but were lost when she past away. Here is a couple from the street for you. The shop on the corner of union street was called perries.
Yes, it was. Our next house was 68 so I thought I was imagining if it was 67 but you’re right. Thanks so much for the photos! It’s amazing to see after all this time. PS please forgive me if I’m not answering in the right places but just getting used to the site.

hi alwin can you confirm your family name so that someone can check the electoral rolls to make sure of the number you lived at in bracebridge st...not sure if you are talking about waterworks st and we do have a thread with photos for that...our paths could have crossed as my cousin lived at no 71 bracebridge st and there is a photo of her house on this thread..i was always visiting her and having sleep overs

lyn

hi alwin can you confirm your family name so that someone can check the electoral rolls to make sure of the number you lived at in bracebridge st...not sure if you are talking about waterworks st and we do have a thread with photos for that...our paths could have crossed as my cousin lived at no 71 bracebridge st and there is a photo of her house on this thread..i was always visiting her and having sleep overs

lyn
Hi, I lived at 67 Waterworks Street but posted here as when I searched for Waterworks St, all I could see were posts about Bracebridge St and Michaelwicks54 said he lived in Waterworks Street.

Hi, I lived at 67 Waterworks Street but posted here as when I searched for Waterworks St, all I could see were posts about Bracebridge St and Michaelwicks54 said he lived in Waterworks Street.
so did you ever live in bracebridge st im getting a bit confused now

lyn

Back