• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Waterworks Street And Grosvenor Rd Aston

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
as promised photos of waterworks st aston..

Attachments

• NEED ALLEY..BARR ST.CLIFTON RD. WATERWORKS ST 026.JPG
    NEED ALLEY..BARR ST.CLIFTON RD. WATERWORKS ST 026.JPG
    258.2 KB · Views: 83
  • NEED ALLEY..BARR ST.CLIFTON RD. WATERWORKS ST 027.JPG
    NEED ALLEY..BARR ST.CLIFTON RD. WATERWORKS ST 027.JPG
    386.4 KB · Views: 79
  • NEED ALLEY..BARR ST.CLIFTON RD. WATERWORKS ST 028.JPG
    NEED ALLEY..BARR ST.CLIFTON RD. WATERWORKS ST 028.JPG
    337.4 KB · Views: 77
  • NEED ALLEY..BARR ST.CLIFTON RD. WATERWORKS ST 029.JPG
    NEED ALLEY..BARR ST.CLIFTON RD. WATERWORKS ST 029.JPG
    244.7 KB · Views: 77
  • NEED ALLEY..BARR ST.CLIFTON RD. WATERWORKS ST 030.JPG
    NEED ALLEY..BARR ST.CLIFTON RD. WATERWORKS ST 030.JPG
    287 KB · Views: 78

JackiePritchatt

master brummie
Hi Lyn, great photo's of all streets father-in-law will enjoy. There was a cake shop on Lichfield Road Mountford Bakery. You wouldn't happen to have a photo of shop. He use to play with the owners son John Mountford. They use to do deliveries to smaller local shops in big wicker baskets with large wheels. Mountford Bakery took over the fruit shop on the corner of Sutherland street/ Lichfield when they expanded. My father-in-law played with John they were both in the same class at school 1930's, John was a month older than Len, John born in August of 1927. When John came from school John didn't play out in the street, they both played in the Attic with John's toys. Weekend they would go and see John's Grandad Mountford on the tram no 2. 2p from Aston Station to Erdington, to take cakes, bread and biscuits for the weekend. They both had a cake for the journey. Mrs Mountford would tell Len to go through to John through the shop to the house, many occasions he had his tea there. Mrs Mountford had high standards but down to earth, she said to wash hands before meals. On occasions he went home with a few treats (cakes, broken biscuits what was left over from the day. Len left about 12/13 years to Turpitts Lane, but always returned to see John and
Mrs Mountford and his cousins, they talked about the Matinee, pictures on Saturdays 2p to enter Astoria, Aston cross.

Jackie

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi jackie thanks for posting your dad in laws memories...really enjoyed reading them...afraid i dont think i have a photo of that bakery on lichfield road but i will check my files.. maybe one of our other members may have one...fingers crossed...

lyn

cookie273uk

master brummie
I to remember Mountfords, had many a bun there, unfortunately I have no photo, in fact all of my old pics are of family members, hardly of interest to the members !!! Eric

The Baron

master brummie
My late Aunt Edith Lamb was Post Mistress at Water works Post Office for a number of years. ( I think it woild be around the 50s? )

ASTONITE

master brummie
Lynn, thank you so much for the photos in post#21-#22, to say that I was gob-smacked is an under-statement. Where on earth did you find these gems?

JackiePritchatt

master brummie
HI Astonite, showing my father-in-law this minute, thanks for photo, checking out the shops. Bringing many memories, he said that the off license (Barnes rings a bell). We can see the photo of Mountford. Thanks

Jackie

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
Lynn, thank you so much for the photos in post#21-#22, to say that I was gob-smacked is an under-statement. Where on earth did you find these gems?

hi astonite i got them from where i get most of the photos i post...from the library..sometimes the photos may not be as good as they could be(would be better scanned) but i have take photos of them with my camera for which the library charges and then upload them at home so it can be tricky but on the whole i am pleased enough with them

lyn

Lady Penelope

master brummie
I work at Cuckoo Wharf and have to pass these roads on my way to the station on the days I get the train. There's nothing, apart from the road signs to say that this community was ever there. I was pleased to see the cooling towers in picture 4 of post #22 as these were always part of my visit to my grandparent's when we got of the 78 tram.

Annalise sanday

Hi Lyn, great photo's of all streets father-in-law will enjoy. There was a cake shop on Lichfield Road Mountford Bakery. You wouldn't happen to have a photo of shop. He use to play with the owners son John Mountford. They use to do deliveries to smaller local shops in big wicker baskets with large wheels. Mountford Bakery took over the fruit shop on the corner of Sutherland street/ Lichfield when they expanded. My father-in-law played with John they were both in the same class at school 1930's, John was a month older than Len, John born in August of 1927. When John came from school John didn't play out in the street, they both played in the Attic with John's toys. Weekend they would go and see John's Grandad Mountford on the tram no 2. 2p from Aston Station to Erdington, to take cakes, bread and biscuits for the weekend. They both had a cake for the journey. Mrs Mountford would tell Len to go through to John through the shop to the house, many occasions he had his tea there. Mrs Mountford had high standards but down to earth, she said to wash hands before meals. On occasions he went home with a few treats (cakes, broken biscuits what was left over from the day. Len left about 12/13 years to Turpitts Lane, but always returned to see John and
Mrs Mountford and his cousins, they talked about the Matinee, pictures on Saturdays 2p to enter Astoria, Aston cross.

Jackie
Hi,
John mountford was my grandad. Unfortunately he passed away September 2011. I found this site looking for photos of the bakery. I used to love hearing his stories about his childhood and the bakery and my eldest daughter did a school project on his evacuation during the war. Fascinating. My auntie still has one of his school photos. I can send it you if you would like to show it to Len? His cousin Edward mountford is still alive and lives in wales

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi analise and welcome..if you could post a photo of your grandad on here that would be great especially as his name and shop has been mentioned..thank you

lyn

Coleman

As I've posted before, my Grand Uncle and Aunt - Henry and Ada Fowler - had a small shop on both (or at least 1) streets in the 1950s. Last time I went to Birmingham I went to see if there were any of the old houses still standing although I had been told that there weren't. I should have listened. My memories were dashed when I saw the monstrosities there now. I don't suppose anyone has any pics of the streets in the 40s, 50s or 60s?
Hi all
Just found this info from way back
I lived in waterworks St upto age 7 so about 1962. Think it was Ño 65. Next to the shop opposite the school.

JackiePritchatt

master brummie
Hi,
John mountford was my grandad. Unfortunately he passed away September 2011. I found this site looking for photos of the bakery. I used to love hearing his stories about his childhood and the bakery and my eldest daughter did a school project on his evacuation during the war. Fascinating. My auntie still has one of his school photos. I can send it you if you would like to show it to Len? His cousin Edward mountford is still alive and lives in wales

michaelwicks54

Aston bred & proud.
Thank you Lyn. These photo's are brilliant, though they were before my time there. The last one is the best, as I can recall my house was right by the street lamp on the right.We had a large entry leading up to some garages, where my bedroom was over the top.I remember the shop on the corner of Sutherland street that is shown in photo 3, though the shop on the other side was not there when we lived there.

michaelwicks54

Aston bred & proud.
as promised photos of waterworks st aston..
The first photo has taken me right back. That was the back of our house, where the garage is. My dad built a large fence all the way from the house, knocked the garage down & took the fence all the way to the top. I used to run & jump over that wall without touching it, just to keep fit. I used to jump over, down the alley in sutherland street. all the way round & over again. What memories. A massive thank you Lyn.