• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Waterloo Street

Anita Boydon

Hi
My ggg grandfather was a tailor at 13 & 18 Waterloo Street in 1800s. Does anyone know if this would have been a business address or would he have been working from home?
His son (also William) and his son(Joseph) continued in the same trade.
Thank you

Hi Anita and welcome to the forum.
What was the surname? can you narrow the year down at all? 13 & 18 would seem to be businesses but haven't found a tailor in the years I've looked at.

Hi. Sorry I missed his name off. He was William Swift and was there in 1873. I'm ashamed to say I don't really know Birmingham too well - I was born in Walsall so not a million miles away

No 13 in the years surrounding that seems to be listed as being occupied by solicitors or accountants, though there could still be flats occupied as homes in the building (Directories of that time only listed firms and gentry or well off businessmen). No 18 does not list the occupant, so was probably residential. Incidentally , probably no connection, but in the 1876 directory there is a William Swift , architect & surveyor at 17 Bennetts hill, not very far away.

hi anita...when and where was william born...do you have him on the census years

lyn

There is a Tailor named William Swift born Birmingham 1838/1839 he married Harriet Horton in stafford in 1862 she was born in Penkridge, thay had a son Joseph in 1863 who also became a Tailor.
1871 they are living in Lapley Staffs
1881 they live in Penkridge
1891 in Stafford.

thanks alberta that could be the family...reason i asked it because there are service records 1889 for a william swift on ancestry but the writing is very bad but looks like father william joseph...mother looks more like juliet other siblings of which one could say joseph

lyn

just had a look at williams siblings on the 71 and i think siblings names match those on the service records i have found

lyn

Back in the late 50’s early 60’s my Mother being separated from my Father worked two jobs in this street . First job start at 6am finish 8am that was 5 days a week . Second job start at 10am finish at noon then back again at 3pm finish 6pm this was also was 5 days a week . No time for sickness in those day’s, no work no eat , god bless her .

In 1958 I started my first job at No, 5 Waterloo Street, Edge and Ellison,solicitors.
My Mother worked for a company Cottrell & Kentish , I’ll have to look the other company up . How long were you there , you said it was your first job , did you work for lots of solicitors then ? I had that firm do some conveyance work for me in the 80’s

Last edited:
No, I only stayed a few years then went to work for a company in St Pauls Square..

At first I was an office junior and would take documents to clients in Waterloo street, a couple I remember were the American consul at No 14 and Jack Cotton & Co, property developers at No 39.

No, I only stayed a few years then went to work for a company in St Pauls Square..

At first I was an office junior and would take documents to clients in Waterloo street, a couple I remember were the American consul at No 14 and Jack Cotton & Co, property developers at No 39.
Thank you , much appreciated

Back