• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Washwood Heath Road

Great photo. In 1961 when I first married We lived in a flat right next to the bridge ,St Marks was the other side I remember the crockery trembled when the trains went by.
The shops were wonderful,the one I lived over sold lino and carpets,it was owned by the shop across the other side next to the police station (Ernie Lucas Hardware)

Hi,

Only just noticed this post, and I remember the shop very well, as it was a second hand goods shop
in the 70s/80s run by an Irish guy called Mick. I visited it daily whilst I was working at the Met, as I
was a keen record collector at the time, and Mick always seemed to have plenty of fresh stock.
Coincidentally before I moved to Norfolk, I did a carboot to get rid of a load of things I didn't want
to take with me, and Mick visited my stall. I hadn't seen him for 32 years, and he hadn't changed a bit.
I wish I could say the same for me!
I remember how that shop used to vibrate when trains passed too.
The last time I passed the shop it was a religious centre.

I also remember Washwood Heath Police Station, having received a caution there in my
naughty youth.

Kind regards
Dave

Does anyone remember Scattergoods the travel agents .Booked all our coach trips with them,even overnight to Torquay

Does anyone remember a Caffe were the x is, it was owned by a nice greek family, we called him pop.

Attachments

• caffe.jpg
    caffe.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 27
hello. I was thinking about whr last night. my nan called it "the main". (short for the main rd) please as anyone got any photos, of the shops etc from drew lane to the fox and goose. they would be appreciated.
Hi there, my Nan used to call it the main as well. I used to go up there from abt 1969 in the good old days

Wondering if anyone in this thread has historical information on personnel who worked or lived at The Fox and Goose, Washwood Heat, in the early 1900’s (1920-1935)

Thats it for now!
IMG 15813 was apparently taken on September 1950 on Washwood Heath Garage forecourt, just a week or so before the abandonment of the 8, 9 and 10 tram routes which were replaced by buses on 55 and 56 routes. Tram 788, built in 1928 survived until 1952. Bus 1088 CVP 188, of 1937 and withdrawn in 1952.

Hi there, my Nan used to call it the main as well. I used to go up there from abt 1969 in the good old days
i remember me and my wife had a meal in a restaurant there is was horrible,so we got up and left, the owner chased us shouting.(%*&$^*&*%) you no pay. i told him it was disgusting,and am going to report him.he shut up and went inside. :grinning::grinning:

On the last image on post 5, I lived above the shops in 1961 when I first married. The window with the Bovril sign next to it was my front room.
My exhusband was a driver and my sister was a conductress at Washwood Heath, my sister had her wedding reception at the Cross Guns.
Wonderful photos of Washwood Heath Road,. Alberta

This is simply labelled Ward End. Does anyone know where exactly ? There’s a laundrette on the corner at #764, so the this must be a junction with a long, main road. Viv.

1609DC1C-3A7B-492B-B02C-FB02988FF53C.jpeg

Hi,

Only just noticed this post, and I remember the shop very well, as it was a second hand goods shop
in the 70s/80s run by an Irish guy called Mick. I visited it daily whilst I was working at the Met, as I
was a keen record collector at the time, and Mick always seemed to have plenty of fresh stock.
Coincidentally before I moved to Norfolk, I did a carboot to get rid of a load of things I didn't want
to take with me, and Mick visited my stall. I hadn't seen him for 32 years, and he hadn't changed a bit.
I wish I could say the same for me!
I remember how that shop used to vibrate when trains passed too.
The last time I passed the shop it was a religious centre.

I also remember Washwood Heath Police Station, having received a caution there in my
naughty youth.

Kind regards
Dave
Hi Dave, I was wondering if you could help me. My parents are looking for their old friend called Errol brown/ Reid who lives on washwood heath Road in the early 70's. I dont suppose the name rings a bell? Do you know if there is a thread for something like this? Thanks

Hi Dave, I was wondering if you could help me. My parents are looking for their old friend called Errol brown/ Reid who lives on washwood heath Road in the early 70's. I dont suppose the name rings a bell? Do you know if there is a thread for something like this? Thanks

Hi Lauren,

Sorry for the delay in replying to your post.
Unfortunately I only worked, not lived in the local area, and did not
know any of the local people.
Good luck with your quest.

Kind regards
Dave

Thanks both. I struggled to pinpoint the modern view, so much changed today, with most street level frontages now retail.

Back