• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Washwood Heath bus garage

Hi there Roy, have found some pics of my retirement at washwood heath. Some of the old faces have passed on. Cheers.

Attachments

• img006.jpg
    img006.jpg
    302.6 KB · Views: 64
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    553.3 KB · Views: 44
Hi Alan,got pics, thanks,two faces there no longer with us Will Fitzgerald last year & Mark Pollock few years ago.Kevin Morrisey still going strong.Keep breathing,best wishes Roy.

Must be after 1969/1970 Stitcher my husband was at Washwood heath with BCT and it became West midlands travel in one of those years

A late friends dad also deceased worked as an inspector at Washwood Heath. My friends name was David Holmes but I do not know if his dad was named David.

All those men who worked at Washwood Heath and were also members of the Home Guard between 1940 and 1944 (and it looks as though a high proportion enlisted) are shown in the link below. There is no Holmes mentioned although a couple of men are listed as having retired from HG duty on medical grounds. These might have been Washwood Heath blokes but they might equally have been employees at one of the other garages grouped together in the same BCT HG Battalion.

https://www.staffshomeguard.co.uk/DotherReminiscences122D3132WarksNomRoll31.htm

Hi there ex Ex Washwood Heath conductor & drivers.Sad news to report the death of John(Mac)McNamara on 18th January 2018.John started as conductor 1964 then a driver until 1990's when retired through ill health.His funeral is on 13th Febuary Tuesday 2018,Service 10.30am Rosary Church(Saltley).Then Perry Barr Crematorium 12.00noon.Lost good friend,Roy Hackett.

Hi Les and everyone on the forum . I was looking through old images and stuff about Washwood Heath garage .My heart was warmed when I came across my late grandfathers name Dave Thomas . Just to update you all unfortunately at the young age of only 63 in 1996 my grandad died . I know he’d have chuffed to know people remembered him as he had warm memories of the people he worked with . I realise this thread is years old now but I’d love to talk to anyone who remembers my gentle giant of a grandad .

there was another driver at w/h he was a lovely chap. he drove the 55 shard end bus.and some times 56 ... charlie

Does anyone remember Bob Weetman and his wife ,Bob drove the trams is wife was a conductress till the trams finished.

A late friends dad also deceased worked as an inspector at Washwood Heath. My friends name was David Holmes but I do not know if his dad was named David.
Tommy Holmes was an inspector at Washwood Heath when I started working there in the early sixties.

Hi Les and everyone on the forum . I was looking through old images and stuff about Washwood Heath garage .My heart was warmed when I came across my late grandfathers name Dave Thomas . Just to update you all unfortunately at the young age of only 63 in 1996 my grandad died . I know he’d have chuffed to know people remembered him as he had warm memories of the people he worked with . I realise this thread is years old now but I’d love to talk to anyone who remembers my gentle giant of a grandad .
I remember a Dave Thomas who was an inspector at Washwood Heath. A very pleasant and popular workmate.

Charlie Court was a lovely man , not very tall, always happy.
He retired and went to live in Wooten Wawen, always remember that he thought the world of his dog.

Charlie Court was a lovely man , not very tall, always happy.
He retired and went to live in Wooten Wawen, always remember that he thought the world of his dog.
we used to talk about fishing in Wooten Wawen.bless him

I am sad to post that my exhusband John Altimas has passed away , his funeral was on Thursday 4th May he worked at Washwood heath from 1963 until 1988 and some of his former friends and colleagues attended his funeral including Don Turner, Brian Morrisey, Alan Whalley and John Brown.
We chatted about their time on 56 and 55s in the 60s and 70s, good old days.
Rest in Peace John x

Back