• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Washwood Heath bus garage

There we three Cole brothers Ricky,Colin and another,they lived in Shard End. Ricky was the good looking one that all the girls fancied.Tony was not related to them.

Alberta, correct me if I am wrong, but was the third brother called Roderick?

Terry

There were 5 brothers in all. Rick and Colin were there when I started in the 60's. Rod, Paul and Dave started later.

Ricky and Colin and Paul had left the job when I went back to Washwood in the early nineties but Rod and Dave were still there and remained so until I left there in about 1994.

Ref Tony Cole.
I wasn't sure how Tony had died so I contacted one of the several people that had informed me and this is what she told me -

' I heard, apparently he was working for North Birmingham Busways and he kept having bumps so they sacked him, but never investigated the problem. Then he died not long afterwards and apparently he had senile dementia. He used to send me Christmas cards and so we vaguely kept in touch, I don't know much more than that'

Last edited:
Morning Les. What a sad tale. Tony could only have been 1 or 2 years older than me and he had dementia. Certainly makes you think. Thanks for taking the time and trouble to find out, much appreciated.

Terry

I was an inspector at Washwood Heath in the early 1990's

Other inspectors that I can remember at that time are George Painting, Ray Allsop (if anyone knows of his whereabouts please let me know as I would love to get in contact with him again), Tony Haywood, Roger Banks and Cheryl Murtagh. In the office were Brian Morrisey, Frank, Des Orr, Mark Pollack,Pat Heney and Ron Daley.

Last edited:
I remember Ray Allsop from when he was a driver at Lea Hall. If I remember correctly he came to Lea Hall from Sheepcote Street. He was also a good drummer if I remember rightly.

I remember Ray Allsop from when he was a driver at Lea Hall. If I remember correctly he came to Lea Hall from Sheepcote Street. He was also a good drummer if I remember rightly.

Yes. That's right. He transferred to Washwood Heath and became an inspector.

He was a mate of mine, so if anyone knows where he is now perhaps you could let me know.

I was an inspector at Washwood Heath in the early 1990's

Other inspectors that I can remember at that time are George Painting, Ray Allsop (if anyone knows of his whereabouts please let me know as I would love to get in contact with him again), Tony Haywood, Roger Banks and Cheryl Murtagh. In the office were Brian Morrisey, Frank, Des Orr, Mark Pollack,Pat Heney and Ron Daley.

Hi
I worked at washwood heath for a very short while and was moved to Lea Hall I started there in 1993 and was finished off in 2008 on medical grounds. if it helps I think Rod Cole retired due to medical grounds Ron Daley retired in 2003 Tony haywood is a General manager @ Perry barr i think roger banks has finished too pat Loveday finsihed on medical grounds too (would love to get in contact with Pat again) Don turner finished soon after Washwood heath closed on medical grounds again, Frank i think went to AG and retired soon after. There is a group on facebook ex lea hall drivers there is some old faces on there too. Unfortunately i live in Bradford in West Yorkshire now so have lost contact with a lot of people from Brum but i hope this info helps. Cheers Ash

Thanks for that Ash.

It's always nice to know how your old workmates are getting on and what they have been up to since you last saw them.

Les

Tony Cole was not related to Ric or Colin Cole. Colin and myself are brothers and joined the B.C.T in 1964. I stayed for seventeen years and enjoyed my time there with all the characters working there, including the dreaded Charlie Peel.

I played football for Washwood Heath garage for many years, managed by Ken McCormack. I fondly remember the Morrissey brothers,Gerry Doran. Does anyone hear from any of these people now?

I have been living in Perth Western Australia for the last 33 years. Regards to everyone Ric Cole.

Hi Ric, you may not remember my name but I was married to John Altimas at the time you worked in WH garage, I remember you well, you must also remember my sister Norma Moore.
John had to retire in 1988 after suffering a heart attack, we are no longer together but he lives not far from me, not in the best of health but
he meets up with Ken, Chris Kearney, Alan Whalley, Don Turner etc once a month for lunch.
Gerry and Maura are now enjoying their retirement, Gerry worked for Texaco.

Last edited:
Hello Ric, my husband Michael sends his best wishes he remembers you well. He often refers to his time at Washwood Heath garage as the best times in the 60's.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Ric, you may not remember my name but I was married to John Altimas at the time you worked in WH garage, I remember you well, you must also remember my sister Norma Moore.
John had to retire in 1988 after suffering a heart attack, we are no longer together but he lives not far from me, not in the best of health but
he meets up with Ken, Chris Kearney, Alan Whalley, Don Turner etc once a month for lunch.
Gerry and Maura are now enjoying their retirement, Gerry worked for Texaco.
Thanks for your reply Alberta, all those names bring back very happy memories. Sue my Wife and I was only talking about John, Gerry and the other names only the other day(Sue also worked on the buses for a very short time before we were married and remembers all the names.
Best regards, Ric.

Alberta this is Sue Cole. Ric has had to go off and help our son out and won't be back for a couple of days but he is hoping to post a couple of photos we still have of all the boys in those days. We hope all of the named guys are still well and living the good life.

Sue

I have reposted a pic post #16 that was lost during the hacking. It is of Tony and Shirley Cole.

Hi Sue, I have some old black and whites tucked away somewhere, I will have to dig them out and post them.A
bit of sad news, I think you and Ric knew Colin Bird, think he was on the 55s, he passed away in February this year.Alberta

Last edited:
I remember Michael very well, always as a very smartly dressed bloke and a nice bloke as well.
Regards, Ric.

I have read all of the above messages regarding the peoples names and remember most of them as I started in 1964 and finished in 1981 to go to Australia...still there, retired now.
It is really good hearing all of the info coming through, as I enjoyed my time there immensley. I do remember Norma Moore very well and always ready for a laugh. It is sad to hear that Colin Bird has passed away as he was my replacement for the Childrens Handicapped Bus that I did for the last 7 years of my time there. The person I worked with on that bus was Colin's mother-in law Pat Childs.

Keep the memories coming and I will look up some photo's I have of that time, of many people.
Best regards, Ric Cole.

Back