• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Washing (cont.)

Oisin

gone but not forgotten
Following on from Alberta's thread on washing, how many of you scrubbed your jeans with a pumices stone to fade them, or wore them in the bath to get a "shrink-fit"? 8) And how many of you girls, like my sisters, spent a fortune on starch to get your petticoats to stand out? :shock:

Do men still press their trousers through a damp tea towel? (I don't know 'cos I haven't got a suit.) :cry:

:D Suit :!: :!: Paul I don't think anyone these days has one of those. No one I know has one (your age is showing :!: ) Tell a lie :oops: my brother has one. If one is needed these days most people hire them (well they do here). I still often use a tea towel to press things though if I’m in a hurry and can't be bothered to put water in the steam iron :)
I see you've gotten on to ladies underwear again :roll:
:)

:D Hi Paul, I and my friends used to use sugar water to starch our petticoates, my mom couldnt afford starch!!!!!!!!!!! I have a friend who still uses a damp teatowel to press her hubbies trousers as well as using a steam iron!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jackie :x

Hi Girls, the subject of Petticoat's has been aired before:
...my mom used to make 'Net Petticoat's she would always sew hair ribbon around the edge of the net so that it would not ladder our 1/6d seamed stockings, we were over the moon when seamless stocking came in, as my sister, myself and two of our friends had very short sight and trying to get seams straight well...! Back to petticoats, do you remember those 'Paper Nylon' ones too? As you said Alberta we used sugar, flour and water to make them stiff and stand out, my sister and I also threaded curtain wire through the hems of our dresses and skirts and you could buy strips of plastic to do the same with, but your skirt, or dress had to be at least calf length or you couldn't sit down with out showing (close your eyes boys) the weekly wash, or your stocking tops. Getting on the bus the boys would all try and sit down stairs near the conductor in the hope that we girls would have to go up stairs for the same reason, Colin say’s he feels deprived as they never have double decker buses here
:wink:
Have a good day :)

My brother who is 2 years older than me treated me to a pair of Levis with his first wage packet bless :D They were the type you had to sit in the bath to shrink to fit :lol: I still have them cut down as shorts unfortunately they are about 3 sizes to small :cry: but i shall never throw them away. I am to young to remember starching petticoats :wink:

anthony and jackie perry said:
:D ... I have a friend who still uses a damp teatowel to press her hubbies trousers as well as using a steam iron!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jackie :x

Jackie, wimmin can't press trousers proper. Anyway I prefered the ones who creased 'em up by sitting on me knee. :lol:

There was a time in the 70's when it wasnt a done thing to wash your Levi's, they developed a life of their own :shock: if you see my point.

I would never ever let Brenda, my wife Iron my jeans so the had a crease anyway.

Rod!

Now I've never had you pegged as a hell's angel! :angel: - never washed your Levis!!

Of course, you're quite right, jeans should never be ironed. I think the funniest thing is mothers not only pressing them but puttting the crease down the front - uncool or what? :roll:

Paul Hells Angel? On my Honda 50? I think errrrmmm NOT!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Okay, so Rod was only a trainee hell's angel. :roll:

I had a friend who went around in leathers, carrying a helmet, on the bus.

Coming back to jeans: I was once astounded by reading that one of the Rolling Stones had paid a massive £40 for a pair of pre-faded jeans. :shock: Boy, was I jealous? That would've saved me having to scrub all that blue dye off my legs. :cry:

I had a leather jacket too Paul. It had a painting on the back. The Road Runner, under which it said "Maximus Rapidum Accelaratum"

My jeans never faded, they sort of rotted LOLOL

Hi Paul, What do u mean wimmin cant press trousers!!!!! :roll: :D We have had enough practise over the years. My husband is great with most houshold jobs but ironing no! I will never forget when he brought my daughter and son to visit me in hospital when I had my last daughter in `79.They were aged 6 & 5 and had each others trousers on and looked as if they had been under a steam roller!! :cry: !!the trousrs I mean not the kids :wink:

Haha! Nice one, Jackie. :lol: Now I don't want to get in a row :roll: but we've all seen trousers pressed by wimmin - they have tramlines down the front. 8)

My hubby is very good at ironing :lol: he can turn his hand to most household chores mind you he does't know one end of a paint brush from the other :wink:

Back