• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Washers Building??

CaroleA649

proper brummie kid
This address was associated to the 1851 census and I am not sure if I have misread it. know if this address actually existed please?

I am a descendant of this branch of the Broughton family and am having a mare trying to put the pieces together as every member of the family named their children after their siblings. Does anyone share family with me? I would love to hear from anyone with any information who could help.
Carole

Have examined the census, and I take it that the person was George Broughton. I think the buildings are Walkers (not Washers) buildings. Have gone through all the Farm st entries from that district (it is a long road and is in several districts), and determined that it was between Guest St and Wheeler St, but was not able to place it much more accurately, as no numbering on the census and there was a lot of extra buildings constructed between the 1851 census and directories where numbering was used on all the houses. However in the 1858 directory a George Broughton is listed as at no 295 Farm St. I am not sure if this is the same house. A few houses in Farm st in the census are numbered, and these seem to correlate with slightly later directories where numbering is given, and numbering remains the same (junlike many streets). No 295 is between Guest St & Wheeeler St on the northern side, so could be the same. In the 1862 directory George is still at 295, with a John Broughton at 296 next door. In the
1867 directory there is a George Broughton at 208 Farm St, but he has gone completely by the 1868 edition and is not listed anywhere in it.
Should emphasise that the dates of these directories are publication dates, and insome of these early ones one has to give a bit of a range. this is particularly so for the 1862 (Corporation) directory, where if you look up a name in the names section and find it, if you go to the street directory, sometimes a different name is given at that address. It looks like the street directory was compiled at a different time to the name directory, though both are listed togehter as 1862 !Below is c1889 map showing position of 295, 296 and 208 Farm St

map c 1889 farm st from summer lane to wellesley st showing nos 208, 295 & 296.jpg

Back