• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Was there ever a Birmingham street named Shelborne Street in the 1950’s or was it Sherborne Street?

Orchidstar

I purchased an album by Birmingham‘s Jeff Lynne (ELO) it is called “Long Wave” and shows a picture of a Birmingham Street by Alton Douglas who named it Shelborne Street but i cant find it anywhere on Google earth or old maps. Does anyone know if this is a typo and its meant to be Shelborne Street? I am also not quite sure which area this street was in. Anyone happen to know. Many thanks
June
34DD7161-9C72-4ED8-8675-41E41DF2F2BF.jpeg

There's a Sherborne Street in Ladywood but it looks too straight to be the one in your picture, no apparent bend.
Like the rest of central Birmingham though it's been extensively redeveloped
No Shelborne Street that I know of.

same here ..if someone can read the road or street sign on the corner building we have it cracked...the building looks like it could be an ansells pub

lyn

I've got an A to Z from the 60s there's no Shelborne Street anywhere in the Midlands listed, plenty of Sherbornes and Sherbournes in the other midland towns.

as i said eric if someone can make out the street sign we have it cracked...i can quite read what it says

thanks mike i thought it looked like morville on the first photo but couldnt be certain..much clearer on your photo..one of our members lived in morville st

lyn

Bizarre ... the library state that the photograph dates from c.1859 - 1899 which is quite incorrect. The photograph dates from 1954. The licence was surrendered five years later.

Correct. My uncle used to have a business until 1945 at 56 Sherborne Street, Sadly there's not much of the old street left due to the development of all those yuppie apartments. I drove down there a few years ago looking for my uncle's old place on a wet drizzly day. I was fortunate to encounter one of the buikler's foremen, who told me that had I been three months earlier, I would have seen it still standing.

Maurice :cool:

Correct. My uncle used to have a business until 1945 at 56 Sherborne Street, Sadly there's not much of the old street left due to the development of all those yuppie apartments. I drove down there a few years ago looking for my uncle's old place on a wet drizzly day. I was fortunate to encounter one of the buikler's foremen, who told me that had I been three months earlier, I would have seen it still standing.

Maurice :cool:

oh that was such bad luck maurice

lyn

Chris Upton wrote about the building and John Inshaw, the engineer, who took over the building in 1859. He developed many working models which were displayed there. The pub was also a place of entertainment. Viv.

Last edited:
As you look up Sherborne Street towards the Broad Street/Five Ways area there used to be a factory/workshop J.C.Newey about half way up on the right. Not to be confused with another J.C.Newey in Birmingham, this little business was started by my Great Uncle John Charles Newey then passed to my Great Aunt Doris thence to my late uncle Geoffrey Knight. My late father worked there for some 40 years and I worked there on Saturdays and during the summer in the late 1970s. The primary product was navigation lamps for ships, all made by hand from sheet copper (port, starboard, masthead) or brass (cargo). As well as my uncle and father there was Harry "H" Best, Andrew Collins and Frank Dolan (and sometimes his son, whose name escapes me) and my dwar mother, who worked in the office.

Like most factories/workshoos it could be ice cold in winter (thank goodness for cast iron stoves!) and swelteringly hot in summer!

One of my everlasting regrets is not taking photos of the inside whilst I worked there, or of the outside before the redevelopment :(

nice first post paul...i bet there are not many members on here who does not have the same regrets as you do...i certainly do...i think when we are young we tend to think everything will stay the same and be there forever but of course as we all know now this is not the case

lyn

Chris Upton wrote about the building and John Inshaw, the engineer, who took over the building in 1859. He developed many working models which were displayed there. The pub was also a place of entertainment. Viv.

Hi Chris, I have been researching my family tree for a number of years and John Inshaw is my Great, Great, Great Grandfather. I want to thank you for posting this interesting information about the pub and steam clock.

Back