• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Was there an institution named The Lozells at Handsworth mid-c19?

MGray

knowlegable brummie
I ask because a peripheral relative by marriage died aged 21 in 1849 and the death notice in the Leamington Spa Courier of August 4 1849 just said "DIED... at the Lozells, Handsworth, Robert Abbotts Lingard". I wondered if this meant there was an institution, eg mental hospital, named The Lozells - but I can't find one by googling. Anyone, please?

Searching for 'The Lozells' 1840s newspapers it seems there may well have been.

23rd April 1849 - "...exhibition this season will held in the Lozells Institution Room..."

There are other mentions mostly associated with the Handsworth and Lozells Horticulture Society.

Alternatively it seems it could just have been the way people spoke of Lozells.

6 Aug 1849 - "...boundaries extended to non-corparate parts of Balsall Heath, the Lozells, Aston Manor, and part of Handsworth..."

Again there are other mentions in a similar vein.

Last edited:
Searching for 'The Lozells' 1840s newspapers it seems there may well have been.

23rd April 1849 - "...exhibition this season will held in the Lozells Institution Room..."

There are other mentions mostly associated with the Handsworth and Lozells Horticulture Society.

Alternatively it seems it could just have been the way people spoke of Lozells.

6 Aug 1849 - "...boundaries extended to non-corparate parts of Balsall Heath, the Lozells, Aston Manor, and part of Handsworth..."

Again there are other mentions in a similar vein.
Thank you. It does rather suggest, as you conclude, that "it could just have been the way people spoke of Lozells", given the example you quote from the same month as my Leamington Spa Courier quote. But I'll just have more of a look for "the Lozells Institution Room" (again, same month), so thank you again.

hello mgray although i have have studied lozells for over 10 years now as its my necko of the woods so far i have not come across a lozells institution as such but of course that does not mean to say that there was not one but if there is enough interest you could order the death certificate which hopefully would give you a bit more information...all the best

lyn

hello mgray although i have have studied lozells for over 10 years now as its my necko of the woods so far i have not come across a lozells institution as such but of course that does not mean to say that there was not one but if there is enough interest you could order the death certificate which hopefully would give you a bit more information...all the best

lyn
Yes, I appreciate that I could order the death certificate, but as I said, he was rather on the periphery of my family, and I have to limit my applications for birth marriage & death certificates to people more directly linked: otherwise it would get far too expensive. But thank you for your response.

Didn’t there used to be a pub in Lozells Road (which of course leads into Handsworth) called The Lozells, or more fully, The Lozells Inn?

Didn’t there used to be a pub in Lozells Road (which of course leads into Handsworth) called The Lozells, or more fully, The Lozells Inn?
[/QUOTe

yes mike quite correct...the lozells inn which is still standing although no longer a pub...

lyn

I wonder if this was the Institution referred to ? Viv.

Were full addresses required in the 'abode' section of burial registers?
Could it just mean Lozells was the general area and that would come under Aston parish wouldn't it?

Were full addresses required in the 'abode' section of burial registers?
Could it just mean Lozells was the general area and that would come under Aston parish wouldn't it?

yes i agree sparks...as it was a very early burial i think the general area of lozells would be recorded...

lyn

“The Lozells” seems to be a location, as consistently shown in these adverts of the 1830s and 1840s. The location came within the parish of Handsworth at that time. Viv.

AE7CE20B-144A-47A2-92BE-5492AC891B5B.jpeg

Back