• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Was Lozells ever described as being in Bordesley?

BordesleyExile

master brummie
1 have 2 questions:
1) Could 60 Lozells Rd have been described as being in Bordesley in 1863?
Sarah Lucy Mottershaw was at that address in 1861 & when she married John Milner 6.10.1863 at Aston Juxta / St Peter & Pauls she was described as living in Bordesley. Based on the RAC routeplanner it appears that no 60 & Aston Juxta Church were a little more than a mile apart. John Milner was described as a brassfounder in 1851 but in 1863 the cert seems to read brass....? He too was recorded as living in Bordesley but from the directories nearest that date I cannot see much by way of brass industry beyond Bradford St & Cheapside so I am puzzled.
This is the BGFL map showing development of the area & relationship between the locations at issue:
https://www.bgfl.org/bgfl/custom/re...istory/jm_jones/aston_manors/aston/page14.htm
2) Where was John Milner in 1861?
FMP search engine is missing out lots of Milners on a 1861 search for Birmingham. John was born in 1828 in Birmingham & in 1851 he lived in Reservoir Cottage (Monument Lane) by Rotten Park Reservoir. Using a different site such as A....... can anyone find him in 1861, please?
Any help appreciated.

Historically Bordesley used to be in Aston Parish but as Holy Trinity Bordesley was built in 1820s I would have thought that anyone living in Bordesley in 1860s would have married in that church. I think Lozells would also have been in Aston parish which would justify the wedding in Aston Parish Church (St Peter & St Paul). Apart from this I can see no connection between Lozells and Bordesley.

Lozells Rd. 4.jpghi shirl..you may have already done this but if not take a google walk down lozells road...the bell is still there although not a pub unfortunatly...the frontage has been ripped out and its now called khans carpets and furniture..no mistaking the upper part of the buiding though...just as an aside here is a pic of the bell taken in the early 70s

Thank you for that photo of Lozells Rd, Lyn. The upstairs windows are certainly distinctive. I'll have to look at maps to see the footprint as it will be interesting to see how far the property stretches back off the road.
Thank you, David. 60 Lozells Rd to Camp Hill is about 3 miles so much further away than Aston Juxta & there is irrefutable proof that Aston Juxta was the church used. If anyone can locate the 1861 addresse og John Milner that may shed some light as the marriage certificate addresses were so vague. Bordesley does not appear as a census address in 1861 in any of the extensive searches I carried out on FMP today.

Could John Milner have remarried. the is a john milner (36) in 1861 married to anne milner, who is a brassfounder at back 178 Scholefield st

Thank you, Mike but thats the other John E Milner thats caused me much confusion. I should have mentioned him in order to rule him out. Sorry. I do know that my John Milner was living separately from his mother Ann Milner & brother George & sister in law Hannah who were in Cregoe St Ladywood in 1861. His father George had already died. The 1863 marriage cert describes "my" John Milner as a bachelor, but he was age 35 which was older than most men married at the time.
FMP state that many men were away in the army in 1861, but the only John Milner I found in the army at that time was in the 2nd Battalion 23rd Foot Royal Welsh Fusiliers & that looks wrong because a) the family did not "serve" until the Great War & WW2 & b) the family do not have Welsh connections.

The bride's family were connected with Lowe St at various times & one of the witnesses came in 1861 from 189 Darwin St so perhaps that explains the Bordesley location for the bride, but its still about 4 miles away from Aston Juxta. Perhaps I'll never work out why they used that church.

The Parish of Holy Trinity Bordesley was only formed from St Peter & Paul in 1864 . Before presumably it was just a satellite church. This might have had some influence as to whether a wedding was held there or Aston Juxta

1 have 2 questions:
1) Could 60 Lozells Rd have been described as being in Bordesley in 1863?
Sarah Lucy Mottershaw was at that address in 1861 & when she married John Milner 6.10.1863 at Aston Juxta / St Peter & Pauls she was described as living in Bordesley. Based on the RAC routeplanner it appears that no 60 & Aston Juxta Church were a little more than a mile apart. John Milner was described as a brassfounder in 1851 but in 1863 the cert seems to read brass....? He too was recorded as living in Bordesley but from the directories nearest that date I cannot see much by way of brass industry beyond Bradford St & Cheapside so I am puzzled.
This is the BGFL map showing development of the area & relationship between the locations at issue:
https://www.bgfl.org/bgfl/custom/re...istory/jm_jones/aston_manors/aston/page14.htm
2) Where was John Milner in 1861?
FMP search engine is missing out lots of Milners on a 1861 search for Birmingham. John was born in 1828 in Birmingham & in 1851 he lived in Reservoir Cottage (Monument Lane) by Rotten Park Reservoir. Using a different site such as A....... can anyone find him in 1861, please?
Any help appreciated.
Hi BordesleyExile

2) I have been trying to locate John in the 1861 Census myself (I am the x4 grandson of his brother George) I have managed to find however the 1841 census return for John. His surname on Ancestry is incorrectly transcribed listed as Milan. The family lived on Old Wharf, Paradise Street. He is listed as an apprentice. (More than likely a brass founders apprentice) Later going on to run the Sir Charles Napier. He died 11th March 1901. A suggestion would be to try and look at the 1861 Census returns for Derbyshire as I believe his wife Sarah originated from the county before moving to Birmingham.

Hope this helps.

As this thread has just been revived after 10 years, I thought I would just comment that Juxta is Latin for 'next to' so Aston Next To does required the place it is next to be named. So the place name should read Aston next to Birmingham to distinguish from the many other Astons.

Back