• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Warwick Road

Delightful picture Vivienne. I doubt those web footed critters would make Christmastide these days - or an day for that matter given present day traffic volume and impatience.

Lisa-Rose-Bridal-birmingham.jpg

The Old Chapel on Warwick Road is now a bridal gown shop and is situated on the left immediately after the railway bridge
as you leave Olton.

This picture is looking towards Solihull and is just before the Kineton Green Road Rwarwick rd..png oad and Warwick Road junction.

Due to the pandemic, the West Way car showroom on the Warwick Road in Tyseley has sadly closed down. They used to sell Nissan cars and vans there.

From memory the church was demolished in 1970. I was living in Stockfield Rd. There had been a garage opposite Tyseley Lane, Gethins, Grange Garage I believe, and slowly Colliers have taken over the whole site from the railway bridge to the corner.

Screenshot (323).png
1939 aerial view of the West Way car site. Warwick Rd runs from bottom right to mid top. The church, on the corner of Stockfield Rd. The North Warwickshire rail line heads off in top right.

I can only guess it as at the juction of Startfod Road and Warwick Road as there are tqwo sets of overhead wires visible. One for Hall Green (right) and Warwick Road (left). It would seem we are looking at the commencement of Warwick Road presumably before the Mermaid was built maybe.

Last edited:
Yes, I used the tramline junction as the clue couldn't think of anywhere else on the Warwick Rd where there was ever such a junction. Pretty certain the Mermaid was pre-tram if this representation is to be believed.
Screenshot (37).png

Another of the junction as in #64 and #65. It’s labelled the ‘old’ and ‘new’ Warwick Road.

View attachment 147371

Thanks

A couple of Warwick Road at Acocks Green

View attachment 147372
View attachment 147373

At Tyseley

View attachment 147375
Having lived at various times in and around Acock's Green familiar with these views, but unsure of the location of the "Garage" view, perhaps junction of Warwick Rd and Station Rd. Can anyone confirm. The Tyseley one is junction of Knights Rd and Warwick Rd. I even remember the railway fence on the right.

Yeah #74 is the Stratford Road junction with Warwick Road in Sparkhill. Except that corner turret tower has long gone. Now a Portuguese restaurant called Farro's. It was closed for the best part of a decade due to two fires, when before it was The President Restaurant. Also the William Bloye Mermaid sculpture has disappeared.

Photo 1 in #73 is labelled Olton. Which it is. Old Warwick Road still exists.

The Olton Clock Tower, seen 10 years ago is at the junction.

Another message to confirm the location of #74 being at the junction of Warwick Road and Stratford Road near the Mermaid. In this photo from the book "Birmingham Buses: route by route 1925-1975" by Malcolm Keeley, we see a number 37 bus about to continue along the Stratford Road (southbound) from the Mermaid island, while a lorry marked "timber" is about to leave the Warwick Road and join the Stratford Road. The photograph was taken in 1963. The shops with the elaborate brickwork, on the right-hand side of the photo, are identical to those on the left-side of #74. One of the shops is marked "H.E. Turner and Son" (above the red lorry), and was primarily a fishmonger but may have also sold fruit. Horace and Peter Turner ran that shop for many, many years. There are some markings on the shop window in #74 (left-hand side) but I cannot quite make them out. The shop seems to have a white-tile lower frontage and perhaps could have been a fishmongers. Looked on Google View and noted that some of the shops with the distinctive markings are still there today but the bay windows seem to have gone. Dave.

Attachments

• P1000783 (2).JPG
    P1000783 (2).JPG
    771 KB · Views: 53
Having lived at various times in and around Acock's Green familiar with these views, but unsure of the location of the "Garage" view, perhaps junction of Warwick Rd and Station Rd. Can anyone confirm. The Tyseley one is junction of Knights Rd and Warwick Rd. I even remember the railway fence on the right.
I was wrong about the "Garage" view, in fact 180 degrees out. Corner to left Shirley Rd. The building centre rear is the old "New Inns" which was somewhere near what is now Barclay's Bank, on the corner of Westley Rd. Thanks to J.V.Tustin 1953 history.
https://aghs.jimdofree.com/acocks-green-c-1903

Yes, that’s the one. Thank you.
I attended St Bedes Church on Warwick Road in the late 1950s. On a Sunday morning I used to ring the bell (see the arch at the peak of the front) for the 11am service, then 3pm Sunday School and the evening service which I think was at 6:30pm (I couldn't sing, but was in the choir for a while). It was a part of St John's Church at Sparkhill with the Rev Jackson in charge but normally run by a Miss Stanley and Rev Griffiths. Mr Knight, who was the postmaster at Greet post office was also a lay preacher. There was a hall at the rear which was used as a youth club in the late 50s.
From the latest Google Earth pictures it looks to be still used by a religious group.

I think the building next door but one to the garage says "Lloyds Bank Limited".
c1916 map - is it this building labelled "bank"?
1634557868799.png
c 1955 map
1634557979220.png

1915 Kelly's - bank in right place and next door but one to cycle manufacturer
1634558269579.png

Last edited:
Back