• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Warwick Road

Another message to confirm the location of #74 being at the junction of Warwick Road and Stratford Road near the Mermaid. In this photo from the book "Birmingham Buses: route by route 1925-1975" by Malcolm Keeley, we see a number 37 bus about to continue along the Stratford Road (southbound) from the Mermaid island, while a lorry marked "timber" is about to leave the Warwick Road and join the Stratford Road. The photograph was taken in 1963. The shops with the elaborate brickwork, on the right-hand side of the photo, are identical to those on the left-side of #74. One of the shops is marked "H.E. Turner and Son" (above the red lorry), and was primarily a fishmonger but may have also sold fruit. Horace and Peter Turner ran that shop for many, many years. There are some markings on the shop window in #74 (left-hand side) but I cannot quite make them out. The shop seems to have a white-tile lower frontage and perhaps could have been a fishmongers. Looked on Google View and noted that some of the shops with the distinctive markings are still there today but the bay windows seem to have gone. Dave.

Attachments

• P1000783 (2).JPG
    P1000783 (2).JPG
    771 KB · Views: 53
Having lived at various times in and around Acock's Green familiar with these views, but unsure of the location of the "Garage" view, perhaps junction of Warwick Rd and Station Rd. Can anyone confirm. The Tyseley one is junction of Knights Rd and Warwick Rd. I even remember the railway fence on the right.
I was wrong about the "Garage" view, in fact 180 degrees out. Corner to left Shirley Rd. The building centre rear is the old "New Inns" which was somewhere near what is now Barclay's Bank, on the corner of Westley Rd. Thanks to J.V.Tustin 1953 history.
https://aghs.jimdofree.com/acocks-green-c-1903

Yes, that’s the one. Thank you.
I attended St Bedes Church on Warwick Road in the late 1950s. On a Sunday morning I used to ring the bell (see the arch at the peak of the front) for the 11am service, then 3pm Sunday School and the evening service which I think was at 6:30pm (I couldn't sing, but was in the choir for a while). It was a part of St John's Church at Sparkhill with the Rev Jackson in charge but normally run by a Miss Stanley and Rev Griffiths. Mr Knight, who was the postmaster at Greet post office was also a lay preacher. There was a hall at the rear which was used as a youth club in the late 50s.
From the latest Google Earth pictures it looks to be still used by a religious group.

I think the building next door but one to the garage says "Lloyds Bank Limited".
c1916 map - is it this building labelled "bank"?
1634557868799.png
c 1955 map
1634557979220.png

1915 Kelly's - bank in right place and next door but one to cycle manufacturer
1634558269579.png

Last edited:
I vaguely thought I recognised it. Did you realise that photo is on earlier in the thread?
Yes that's where got it from, but I don't think the location was discussed. I think you are absolutely correct with
your location, but I still think it is hard to visualise the top left of the photo (#87) is looking across the Acocks Green island.
Attached photo taken in 1970, must have been taken from roughly the same position.

acocks green island 1970.PNG

Last edited:
I thought that it was decided that the view in #87 looking in the direction of Olten, with Station Road on the left just past the lamp post. The photograph would have been taken in the position of #94 but looking 180 degrees the opposite way
Dave

I thought that it was decided that the view in #87 looking in the direction of Olten, with Station Road on the left just past the lamp post. The photograph would have been taken in the position of #94 but looking 180 degrees the opposite way
Dave
I am pretty sure that #87 is looking in the opposite direction to Olton.
This is the view towards Olton taken in 1930's.
Note Picture Playhouse on left which was on the corner of Station Road (Payne's in a later life)

Picture Playhouse 1934.JPG

Reading the list of shops downwards goes from the centre of the green towards Olton. The cinema is on the corner of Station Road.

Hi Theresa, I went to Sunday school in the hall at the back.
I did too. Also went to Discoverers meetings with Miss Goodall and Miss Stanley. The hall at the back of St Bedes was also used for jumble sales, Whist Drives, Social Evenings too. We also had an Anniversary celebration every year in the chapel.

I did too. Also went to Discoverers meetings with Miss Goodall and Miss Stanley. The hall at the back of St Bedes was also used for jumble sales, Whist Drives, Social Evenings too. We also had an Anniversary celebration every year in the chapel.
Ah, Miss Goodhall, I remembered Miss Agnes Stanley and the Rev Griffiths plus Mr Knight the post master (lay preacher) plus the occasional visit of Rev Jackson of St Johns in Sparkbrook, under which St Bedes was covered. My time was 1950's, I used to ring the bell each Sunday and for a while was in the choir. Does anyone remember the form of heating in the church, a coke boiler which emitted heat and coke fumes through a vent in the floor. I was also involved in the youth club, run by a chap called Marcus (last name forgotten) in the late 50s, met in hall at the rear. Happy days.

Back