• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Warwick Road

redken

master brummie
Here is a photo for members to id if you don't mind. A pal of mine sent the shot and I just cannot identify its location. Any idea's lads / ladies ?where is this.jpg

Redken

I think it has to be Warwick Rd at the Stockfield Road junction and the church would have been the Acocks Green Congregation Church which was replaced by Colliers Garage.

A slight addition, the church was demolished in 1970.

Last edited:
Phil it is as you say. As a five year old would race along the pavement on the left to the smithy, that was opposite the church, to watch horses being shod. Went to Sunday school at that church. The shops on the right included Amison,s, the butcher and Howell's the Greengrocer. Just a little further on, on the left was "The Britannia" pub. When I first married lived in Stockfield Rd.

Brings back so many memories, I used to live in greet and went to Greet School. I must have used this road hundreds of times.

More memories, I was a driver for Lowes Transport when their yard was almost on the corner of Manor Farm Road. I drove a large artic the length and breadth of England Scotland and Wales for a few years for that good old firm.

The Tysley cinema building and the Watsonian building next door, are both surprisingly still standing on Warwick Road, although the cinema frontage has changed. (Cinema image from cinemastreasures.org, modern image from Google Streetview). Viv.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Another view of the Smithy on Warwick Road opposite Stockfield Road. The tag says 1914 but I think it looks older than that.

Added later I've changed the photo for a better copy.

Tyseley Warwick Rd opp Stockfield Rd.jpg

Last edited:
I previously posted on another thread that my Dad worked as a viewer at the Brooke Tool Co. in Greet and my sister worked at the toffee factory almost next door. I occasionally to load my lorry with tubes from Serk over the road. I did once load 60 foot long stainless steel tubes polished up the bore and delivered them to a Power station.

Stitcher

I worked at the Brook tool in my first job after leaving school in 1962, I remember it as a terrible place that paid terrible wages to the young people that worked there who were expected to turn out the same amount of work as the adults for a third of the wages, I lasted about three months before I walked out. I also remember in the late 70's when the factory was converted into units we leased two parts of the factory as our depot, but when the lease expired we moved to bigger premises. I see that it is all part of the computer Tech outfit SCC now.

Over the road as you say was The Serck I had friends that worked there as well and they say the deal was near enough the same there, it's no wonder I ended up working for myself. I think the young people that are able to find a job today (the few that can) get a much better deal than we ever did.

This photo of lorry drivers outside the Serck are too early for you to be among them I should imagine.

Greet Warwick Rd Serck.JPG

Post 11 seems to show tram tracks but no overhead wiring. Trams commenced along Warwick Road in 1916 and were abandoned in January 1937.
I agree that Post 14 does give an impression being older than 1914: not one motorized vehicle in sight.

A little way down Warwick Road toward Knights Road was Harold Greenways fishing tackle shop the best of it's kind in the area on the 70's. I spent a lot of money on there in there when I was secretary of the Talbot fishing club, but I had to give it up because it interfered with my drinking time.

tyseley warwick rd.JPG

Stitcher

I worked at the Brook tool in my first job after leaving school in 1962, I remember it as a terrible place that paid terrible wages to the young people that worked there who were expected to turn out the same amount of work as the adults for a third of the wages, I lasted about three months before I walked out. I also remember in the late 70's when the factory was converted into units we leased two parts of the factory as our depot, but when the lease expired we moved to bigger premises. I see that it is all part of the computer Tech outfit SCC now.

Over the road as you say was The Serck I had friends that worked there as well and they say the deal was near enough the same there, it's no wonder I ended up working for myself. I think the young people that are able to find a job today (the few that can) get a much better deal than we ever did.

This photo of lorry drivers outside the Serck are too early for you to be among them I should imagine.

View attachment 119497

Yes Phil, a bit before my time but a great photo.

I'm almost certain there was a Greenway's fishing tackle shop at Kinstanding too - corner of Hawthorn Road and Warren Farm Road. Viv.

Well phil it aint changed much from them days to todays dys i can tell you
only there was not much traffic in thoses days
Alan,, Astonian;;;

quite right viv...i posted a pic of it on the forum..most likely on the kingstanding thread

lyn

Thought at first there was a vehicle parked alongside the shop to the right but think it must be an ironmongers shop with all the ironmonger's paraphernalia on display outside ! Viv.

In the fifts and sixtys he sold the old cast iron and fancy tiled fire grates ripped out of those golden ages along with numerous dezigned chimmney pots that people bought for use of planting plants and dezign orniments was the fad for them way back

Hi Alan, they were still trading in the 80s (may not have been the same family) I bought some tiles there. As you say some lovley old fire places.

And this is the junction of Knights Road, Tyseley Hill, Warwick Road where a few notable changes have been made in recent years. No date with this image, but it must be early in the 20th century.

Tyseley-Warwick-Road-Knights Road.jpg

Hard to believe Phil, but that row of shops to the left, and the pub/off-licence(?) on the corner of Knights Road look like they are all still there. (Google Streetview below). Very surprising given the amount of change to so many of the nearby buildings. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    116.4 KB · Views: 56
Back