• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Warwick Road Greet.

Looks like Yardley Grammar tuck shop. I was there early 50's & can remember the Smith's Crisps bags of broken crisps for 1d (floor sweepings it was said) The Yardley boys playground was on the left over the fence.
John

Hi.
Many thanks for the photo, I remember this part of the road be it a bit more busy when I used to go loco spotting at Tyseley shed. These visits with out getting caught started my career of the footplate for 40 years.

There used to be a couple of drivers who would come into the shop in the early morning to pick up their cigs and they made promises to take me around the shed - I'm nearly 67 and still waiting.

Thanks again for the photo.

Paul Burns.
As I said I lived off Tyseley Lane, two of our neighbours were engine drivers, my grand father with whom we lived, worked in signal maintenance based at Tyseley, two of his brothers worked for the railways, one as a driver the other as a plate layer. I never got a trip around the sheds but I did get to visit the signal box at Bentley Heath.

Have a memory of walking home from Tyseley Cinema, after the Saturday matinee, I lived in a grove off Tyseley Lane, it's 1947'ish. We would take a right turn maybe Medina Road and on a corner, maybe with Havelock Rd was a shop that sold 1d "pop" that was made on the premises. Please does anyone else have memories of this haven?
Hello! Unfortunately I am slightly to young to remember the corner shop at the time you site. However I can firmly confirm that it was 110 Medina Rd Tyseley, because my mother bought the shop in about 1969/70 from a lady called Mrs Woolley. We lived there till around 1977 and then moved to the Wirral on Merseyside. Even for me it’s astonishing to see the place way back then! Thank you, brings back many memories.

Hello! Unfortunately I am slightly to young to remember the corner shop at the time you site. However I can firmly confirm that it was 110 Medina Rd Tyseley, because my mother bought the shop in about 1969/70 from a lady called Mrs Woolley. We lived there till around 1977 and then moved to the Wirral on Merseyside. Even for me it’s astonishing to see the place way back then! Thank you, brings back many memories.
I can confirm that the shop on the corner of Medina Road and Havelock Road was considered the "tuck shop" for pupils of Yardley Grammar School and in my time at that school, 1957-62 was in the ownership of "Woolleys".

Hi.
My parents ran the sweet shop No 237 Warwick Road, Greet and ran it for a few years. We moved from the shop in 1966 and went to Bewdley Worcs.

On trip last year to find the places we lived at, I found that the house my Father/Mother lived in No 65 Hume Street - next to the garage was now a car park for Asda supermarket. Next was Warwick Road to find the sweet shop and this is now buried under a dual carriageway.

Would any member have any details or photo's of Hume Street and Warwick Road and when was the old buildings pulled down to make the road way.

Many Thanks.
Paul Burns.
Hi Paul,
I went to greet school in the 50s/60s and if i remember rightly there were 2 shops selling sweets on that section, 1 sold newspapers the other was more cigarettes etc , they had a " Kraven A " sign outside and i bought my first watch from them ,the other had the toy shop on the other side of the road , and ther was a cafe between them .
Cheers
stay safe
Ogri

Back