• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Warwick Road Greet.

Paul Burns

proper brummie kid
Hi.
My parents ran the sweet shop No 237 Warwick Road, Greet and ran it for a few years. We moved from the shop in 1966 and went to Bewdley Worcs.

On trip last year to find the places we lived at, I found that the house my Father/Mother lived in No 65 Hume Street - next to the garage was now a car park for Asda supermarket. Next was Warwick Road to find the sweet shop and this is now buried under a dual carriageway.

Would any member have any details or photo's of Hume Street and Warwick Road and when was the old buildings pulled down to make the road way.

Many Thanks.
Paul Burns.

Here's a photo of Warwick Road in Greet between St John's Road and Percy Road c1963 ..... was the shop in this block ?

Attachments

• Greet Warwick Road (Mountford Street junction) 1963.jpg
    Greet Warwick Road (Mountford Street junction) 1963.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 42
Here's a photo of Warwick Road in Greet between St John's Road and Percy Road c1963 ..... was the shop in this block ?
Great photo Brummie Geoff, but if shop was at 237 Warwick Road, I believe it would be further down the hill, past the Greet Pub and the petrol station, and just past an island, in the direction of Golden Hillock Road but not that far, as you can see from the map it was near the Waggon & Horses public house.

237-Warwick-RoadW.jpg

Hi.
Many thanks for your help and yes that's the shop as shown on the map. I think that 235 was a cafe as I and my sister played with the children who lived there. We both went to the school in Percy Road ,which is still there I think.

With the photo of Warwick Road, about where the middle car/van is driving away from the photographer there is some one standing in a white coat and the shop was around that area. and opposite the shop was a toy shop.

As for Hume Street, I forgot to put that it's in Cape Hill Smethwick.

Many thanks .
Paul Burns.

Hi.

As for Hume Street, I forgot to put that it's in Cape Hill Smethwick.

Many thanks .
Paul Burns.
Yes I had realised that, here is a map to show the position, the road coming downwards on the right hand side is Windmill Lane, and below the Garage on the right was a Billiard Hall

65-hume-streetW.jpg

Hi.
My parents ran the sweet shop No 237 Warwick Road, Greet and ran it for a few years. We moved from the shop in 1966 and went to Bewdley Worcs.

On trip last year to find the places we lived at, I found that the house my Father/Mother lived in No 65 Hume Street - next to the garage was now a car park for Asda supermarket. Next was Warwick Road to find the sweet shop and this is now buried under a dual carriageway.

Would any member have any details or photo's of Hume Street and Warwick Road and when was the old buildings pulled down to make the road way.

Many Thanks.
Paul Burns.
Hi Paul,
I know this is a bit further up the road in Tyseley, but in my memory that stretch of the Warwick Road from Tyseley to Greet is merged in one. I love this photo: horse-drawn vehicles and manure in the road, gas lamps, the tram lines and overhead cables. My grandfather lived at 519 Warwick Road (a GWR engine driver) and as a child I used to love sliding down those banisters.

My father often repeats a story that during the war a barrage balloon broke loose from its mooring on the corner of Reddings lane and floated down this very stretch of the Warwick Road, with my father and his pals chasing it and hanging onto its cables all the way to the Greet. After the war my father worked a as an auto setter at Brook Tool in the Greet.
Jason
Warwick Road, Tyseley.jpg

Unfortunately I think the Greet shop is just out of shot on this aerial photo from June 1935 (from the excellent Britain from Above site).
But it does give a good view of Greet Primary School .... I went there too 1961-67.
I recall that the Fellowes sweet shop on the corner of Percy Road and Lea Road got a lot of the school trade. There were a lot more sweet shops around in those days !

Attachments

• Greet School June 1935.jpg
    Greet School June 1935.jpg
    291.9 KB · Views: 28
Yes I had realised that, here is a map to show the position, the road coming downwards on the right hand side is Windmill Lane, and below the Garage on the right was a Billiard Hall

View attachment 153566
Hi.
Many thanks for this , Managed to kick a few footballs on the roof of the garage and our window cleaner made a few bob getting them off the roof. I was born there in 1954 my sister was also born there in 1952.

The little square box at the bottom of the garden was the outside small room !

I'm sure that there was a Scribbans Bakery in the same road - but might be wrong.

Do you know roughly when the superstore was built, I had a look in a old A-Z of Birmingham dated 1988 and shows it was there.

All this info is going into a history folder of my family and all info received so far is most welcome.
Paul Burns.

Hi Paul,
I know this is a bit further up the road in Tyseley, but in my memory that stretch of the Warwick Road from Tyseley to Greet is merged in one. I love this photo: horse-drawn vehicles and manure in the road, gas lamps, the tram lines and overhead cables. My grandfather lived at 519 Warwick Road (a GWR engine driver) and as a child I used to love sliding down those banisters.

My father often repeats a story that during the war a barrage balloon broke loose from its mooring on the corner of Reddings lane and floated down this very stretch of the Warwick Road, with my father and his pals chasing it and hanging onto its cables all the way to the Greet. After the war my father worked a as an auto setter at Brook Tool in the Greet.
Jason
View attachment 153567
Hi.
Many thanks for the photo, I remember this part of the road be it a bit more busy when I used to go loco spotting at Tyseley shed. These visits with out getting caught started my career of the footplate for 40 years.

There used to be a couple of drivers who would come into the shop in the early morning to pick up their cigs and they made promises to take me around the shed - I'm nearly 67 and still waiting.

Thanks again for the photo.

Paul Burns.

Unfortunately I think the Greet shop is just out of shot on this aerial photo from June 1935 (from the excellent Britain from Above site).
But it does give a good view of Greet Primary School .... I went there too 1961-67.
I recall that the Fellowes sweet shop on the corner of Percy Road and Lea Road got a lot of the school trade. There were a lot more sweet shops around in those days !
Hi.
Many thanks for the photo of the old school. I only went there for a few weeks as my parents sent my sister and I to Greenmore College .

Many Thanks.
Paul Burns.

The shop in the picture (Hydes ) was,up to Nov. 1940,my father's wallpaper and paint shop,(Lewis 's).We were bombed out on the night of 19th Nov 1940,my 4 th birthday,moved out and Hydes took over. Up till then, I remember running alone down Wa rwick Rd to a sweet shop Betteridge 's at the next junction with a copper or two to spend! Could n't do that nowadays aged 3 + or even older.

Hi .
Many thanks for your notes about your shop in Warwick Road. Just about going out at a young age, my sister, me and my cousin would be given a bag by my Gran with the empty beer bottles, the correct change and go to the off licence to get a new bottle of beer for our Grandad. Our age about 5-6.

Also to make money, we went around collecting empty Corona bottles and taking them back to the shop to collect the refund.
I tell my Grandchildren all about this and they cannot believe this, shows how times have changed.

Paul Burns.

Paul,

If that money on bottle returns was still operating, a few shrewd operators could even make a living out of it! :) But I used to like the penny bottles of pop, which was just a flavour tablet dropped in the bottle and then filled with soda water, and you drank there and then on the spot. But then an old penny actually had value.

Maurice :cool:

Have a memory of walking home from Tyseley Cinema, after the Saturday matinee, I lived in a grove off Tyseley Lane, it's 1947'ish. We would take a right turn maybe Medina Road and on a corner, maybe with Havelock Rd was a shop that sold 1d "pop" that was made on the premises. Please does anyone else have memories of this haven?

Jim,

Exactly what I described above. Can't help with your location, but mine came from the little shop operated by the Birch family in Knowle Road, Sparkhill adjacent to the allotments entrance, now back to being just a normal house.

Maurice :cool:

devonjim ....
I think this is a photo of the shop on the corner of Medina and Havelock Roads. It's earlier than 1947, but does it ring any bells ?

Attachments

• Tyseley Medina Road.jpg
    Tyseley Medina Road.jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 35
I think that might well be the corner of Medina Road and Havelock Road, Tyseley. The architecture certainly looks familiar. But if it is, the contemporary title of "Medina Road, Hall Green" isn't right. If it is Medina Road, that is in Tyseley, not Hall Green. I am going to send this to my father who fortuitously at the age of 92 is still 100% compos mentis. What is absolutely crazy about this is that the young lad with his back to the camera in the centre of the shot is the right shape and hairstyle to be my own father!

If, heavenly fortuitously it is him, he will be able to name all of his playmates also in the shot. He still talks about them as it it were just yesterday.

devonjim ....
I think this is a photo of the shop on the corner of Medina and Havelock Roads. It's earlier than 1947, but does it ring any bells ?
Thank you! I would love to say yes but I'm really not sure. I suppose not surprising after 70 odd years! I had a play on GoogleMap and hovered over this view. The premises on the LH corner felt a little familiar. Anyone with a directory confirm that there was a shop here in 1947?

Thank you! I would love to say yes but I'm really not sure. I suppose not surprising after 70 odd years! I had a play on GoogleMap and hovered over this view. The premises on the LH corner felt a little familiar. Anyone with a directory confirm that there was a shop here in 1947?
In 1955 there was a Dennis Clarke Shopkeeper at 110 Medina Road, at the junction with Havelock Road

medina road.JPG

Back