• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Wartime Yardley

Ann B
The photo of the party in Patrick Rd at the end of the war, "Did you happen to be on it"? I was one of the many of the kids from the area. Due to the fact the P.V.M ran during the war there was a closeness between Moat Lane, Vera Rd and Patrick Rd which meant all the kids from those three areas were there.
Dave

Ann B
The photo of the party in Patrick Rd at the end of the war, "Did you happen to be on it"? I was one of the many of the kids from the area. Due to the fact the P.V.M ran during the war there was a closeness between Moat Lane, Vera Rd and Patrick Rd which meant all the kids from those three areas were there.
Dave

My friend school friend Amanda lived in Patrick Road at number 61... born 1947... but she had an older brother called Robert... surname NORGROVE. Parents names were Joan and Whit. Does the name ring a bell.
Georgie.

I lived at 47 and I knew them well, just a few door away, they lived opposite the bombed houses in Patrick Rd. There were so many kids on the photo that I do not remember all their names. Mr Deaves who had a paint and decorators shop at the Yew Tree took a cine film of the Party which we all saw but I would not know what happened to it. Maybe his Daughter Audrey has it somewhere or the Son Tony
Dave

Georgie
You were tracing the Weston family, were they related to the Savage family on the corner of Patrick and Vera Rds. I knew the Weston family as well.
Dave

Ann
The picture of the Party in Patrick Rd, do you happen to have a copy, the reason being that John Crump an old school friend of mine who lives in Colorado U.S.A would like a copy if possible as the one put on the Forum was hacked. He is the Oldbrit in exile on the site. Thanks in advance with fingers crossed.
Dave

It looks very much as though AnnB's Forum membership has lapsed. Let's hope that the lost images can be restored, somehow or other.

Did any member keep a copy of them?

Chris

Last edited:
Georgie,
In 1945 at 61 Patrick Rd Mrs Phyllis Norgrove was the only one listed at the house I think he was in the forces. I am looking at the Yardley Div Poll of that year and the christian name is Phyllis Joan Possibly using her middle name like my wife. you surprised me when you said she had died, quite young really.
Dave

I used to live in Patrick road and would emjoy seeing any pics you have. They have been taken off this site. Thanks for any help

I lived at 75 from 1976 until 1993. Lovely house and I would know more of the history of the road especially during world war 2

Georgie
You were tracing the Weston family, were they related to the Savage family on the corner of Patrick and Vera Rds. I knew the Weston family as well.
Dave
Just catching up on the Birmingham History site.. and I found your message. I only knew the NORGROVE family... Georgie

Georgie,
In 1945 at 61 Patrick Rd Mrs Phyllis Norgrove was the only one listed at the house I think he was in the forces. I am looking at the Yardley Div Poll of that year and the christian name is Phyllis Joan Possibly using her middle name like my wife. you surprised me when you said she had died, quite young really.
Dave
Reading another of your messages... I knew my friends parents well and they both died in the 1990's. Georgie

georgie,
I do not know what happened to the kids, I have got a photo of them from the party in 1945 which took place in the road, but I cannot remember their names, "Was the lad called Tony"? I'm not sure .I left there in 1959 when I got married.
Dave

Sheldontony, the house you lived in was occupied during the war by the Axfords. the kids were Graeham and Joan they were my age may be slightly older, more towards my sisters age.
They did not play out in the road very much I don't know why, it was all in the roads in those days because we did not have a Tele or Comps, but we were fit.
Dave

GeorgieG, I did not get things quite right when you said you had lost your friend, she was the Daughter not the Mom and Dad. Only when I read the post again did I realise it could not have been the parents. You said she was about 60, a bit young to pass away these days.
Dave

hi, new to this site! my family (mothers side) came from Lily road Yardley,and we still have the property in Lily road and i remember a lot of of people ! Sandfords,Hodgeskins,Eatons,Olivers,Jenkins and us James and Green

Love to see the photo is it still around can you re post it? John Crump lived on Moat Lane till 1957 now in Parker, Co USA

hi, new to this site! my family (mothers side) came from Lily road Yardley,and we still have the property in Lily road and i remember a lot of of people ! Sandfords,Hodgeskins,Eatons,Olivers,Jenkins and us James and Green
My grandparents on my fathers side lived in Lily Road, No. 76 name of Haylor, do you remember them?.

No cant say I do BUT I walked past there house many times on the way to the Cov rd. to the Swan and Tivoli etc. Of course I went to school on Harvey Rd. John Crump OldBrit. Parker, Co USA

no sorry john,i knew the sandfords at 76 lily road,mom dad and 8 kids! i will ask my mom tomorrow if she remembers your grandparents.

hi John, imy mom remembers your grandad and she said he had a allotment by The Causeway(now Tescos) and used to sell his goods!!

Hi.Wigandem. It was my great grandad who lived there, he died in 1952, he had 18 children, and I am told they lived at 76 and the house next door, I know he was a gardener so the allotment information seems right, but didn,t know where that was,thanks for your reply.

i saw your message about VE day party in patrick road but pics were missing. Any chance of seeing them please? I lived in patrick road for 17 happy years

Tony,
I did not put a photo on this site as it is a copy of a copy and I am at this moment trying to enhance it. It is very grainy and a lot of contrast which made the faces very white. I do not think many of the members have responded to the photo that was put on by a guest called Ann B. I can name about 20 of the children on it but where they are now is anybodies guess, none have come on the site and said that they are on the photo.
The photo was taken on the opposite side of the road from where you lived, I am sitting on the wall of the house that was bombed and half of it was pulled down until it was rebuilt after the war.
Dave

Back