• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Wartime Yardley

Love to see the photo is it still around can you re post it? John Crump lived on Moat Lane till 1957 now in Parker, Co USA

hi, new to this site! my family (mothers side) came from Lily road Yardley,and we still have the property in Lily road and i remember a lot of of people ! Sandfords,Hodgeskins,Eatons,Olivers,Jenkins and us James and Green
My grandparents on my fathers side lived in Lily Road, No. 76 name of Haylor, do you remember them?.

No cant say I do BUT I walked past there house many times on the way to the Cov rd. to the Swan and Tivoli etc. Of course I went to school on Harvey Rd. John Crump OldBrit. Parker, Co USA

no sorry john,i knew the sandfords at 76 lily road,mom dad and 8 kids! i will ask my mom tomorrow if she remembers your grandparents.

hi John, imy mom remembers your grandad and she said he had a allotment by The Causeway(now Tescos) and used to sell his goods!!

Hi.Wigandem. It was my great grandad who lived there, he died in 1952, he had 18 children, and I am told they lived at 76 and the house next door, I know he was a gardener so the allotment information seems right, but didn,t know where that was,thanks for your reply.

i saw your message about VE day party in patrick road but pics were missing. Any chance of seeing them please? I lived in patrick road for 17 happy years

Tony,
I did not put a photo on this site as it is a copy of a copy and I am at this moment trying to enhance it. It is very grainy and a lot of contrast which made the faces very white. I do not think many of the members have responded to the photo that was put on by a guest called Ann B. I can name about 20 of the children on it but where they are now is anybodies guess, none have come on the site and said that they are on the photo.
The photo was taken on the opposite side of the road from where you lived, I am sitting on the wall of the house that was bombed and half of it was pulled down until it was rebuilt after the war.
Dave

IMGP4491.jpgIMGP4492.jpg
Dated Nov 1940

I am in the process of sorting some old clippings/scrapbooks of wartime Birmingham left to me by a relative and thought that this may be of interest to followers of this thread.
I do have several other pics from these clippings of bomb devastation in Birmingham and suburbs that I could post or start a thread on, if there would be any interest.
Regards,Keegs.

i have been trying to find this photo of Lily road for years,so thank you so much for putting it on here! my great granparents and grandparents lived in Lily road and told me about the bombing many times!

Sheldon Tony,
This is a photo of, not Vera road as it says, but Patrick road opposite and to your left of where you lived. Old brit John Crump is in front of the hand cart and my Grandfather is standing in front of the gate bottom left with his hands in his pockets.
Dave

crump-rem10.jpg

Keegs ,for goodness sake do not through them away. You have probably got more than the b'ham mail.

Dave
No chance of them being thrown away,too much history in them to be lost.I think, when time permits that I will start a thread as there are some interesting pics of city centre bomb damage as well as some of the suburbs.

Cheers,Keegs

Keegs,
My Father was a constable in the Bham mounted police and all through the war they were stretched for man power when Bham had had a raid. Some mornings he would come home late as they had being doing a rescue in the City, he rescued some people in a church one night only to get injured himself by a piece of glass falling from the roof and nearly cutting his hand off a the wrist. A month in a splint and he was back on duty.
Dave

Dave,
It's little stories like that bring history to life.This is such a great site.
Keegs

Eddie 14 was the damaged house in Patrick Rd rebuilt as I can't remember a house with a different design. If I remember correctly there is a bungalow in Vera Rd which is different to the other houses.

Back