• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Warstone Lane - some 'before' and 'after' pictures

Cheers Suzanne, I knew the Forum would come up Trumps - Just awaiting the results of the BMSGH checking to confirm the mis transcription!

Bri

SAM_3326~0.JPG

Warstone Lane Catacombs after the recent clean up - Viewing Left to Right - View 1 (Guess where the next will be?)

SAM_3331.JPG

View 6 - Most of this gone now - or at least most it up as far as I can reach! - Must bring steps (Ladders - not the group!)

wonderful job done brian...i still need to get down to key hill cem and tidy up my rellies plot...could hit ground frost at the min...

lyn

Hi Brian. Excellent before & afters. These are fascinating. In #38, do you know how stone masons would make use of the blank moulds? Viv.

Great photo's Brian everyone has worked so hard but the result is great.

Viv I will let Brian answer this one as to be honest I don't know the answer. I know sometimes they work in a cemetery but mostly stones are removed to have names added etc.

Hi Viv, It just shows how the ivy has grown over the stonework. As It was pulled off - it obviously fitted like a glove.
Archeologists often make rubber moulds from such things to get the a model of the original surface - saves damaging the stone if you want a copy!
Or if were Valerie Singleton - you would use paper mache and sticky back plastic!

Right thanks Brian and Wendy. So good to see the before and after photos, an excellent record too. Keep up the good work! Viv.

We've been to the Jewellery Quarter today and were thrilled to find that Warstone Lane Cemetery railings have been re-instated. Not sure if this has been mentioned on another thread already but they look wonderful! Sorry I haven't got a 'before' picture but this is certainly a great 'after'.
WL1.jpg

WL2.jpg

smashing pen thanks the new railings do look smart...i shall be over that way on saturday

lyn

Last edited:
My great grandfather is buried there with his only son a few feet away. His other boys had died as babies and only the girls were left. I was so pleased that this has been done.

same here pen....i have quite a few of my frogatts buried in warstone lane and harringtons in key hill including 1 in the catacombes...delighted to see the new railings

lyn

We were going to The Hive to see The Fading City exhibition (also for a coffee) then onto the Red Lion for lunch and onto the RBSA to look at a friends sculptures and then back for a cuppa. All in all a really good day in the Qtr. Except for the rain!

We were going to The Hive to see The Fading City exhibition (also for a coffee) then onto the Red Lion for lunch and onto the RBSA to look at a friends sculptures and then back for a cuppa. All in all a really good day in the Qtr. Except for the rain!

snap pen...4 of us going to the fading exhibition saturday then onto the jewellers for lunch :)

lyn

Great! Our friends suggested the Red Lion. We hadn't been there since they had a folk club which is many, many years ago. Have a good time.

Back