• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Warstone Lane Cemetery

Hi Josie - hope the following is of use
Name, Year, Grave area & Number - Burial Register Number
I think P1967 (from memory is a deep public benind the Mint.
D are is as you go uphill and turn right to ward Wsarstone Lane entrance - Again some Publics adjacent the wall

WAKELAM

Thomas 1884 I 5 (Angle)

Thomas 1916 O 837 81762 6

William J 1915 P 1648 80956

WAKELIN

Albert 1877 G 524 23453 1

Augustus William 1876 H 1341 20538

Florence J 1886 I 6 (Angle) 36287

Frederick 1921 O 837 85202 6

Harriet 1875 G 1008

Mary 1883 G 963 31842 5

Samuel James 1874 H 1096 16754

Sarah 1919 G 839 82926 7 MI

William 1889 G 963 39834 5

William 1904 G 963 60705 5

WAKELING

Albert J 1902 O 1088

Albert J 1915 P 1714 80773

Alfred 1893 P 1964 45899

Beatrice 1890 O 1129 41808

Edna 1913 P 1967 70156

Elizabeth B 1922 B 1791 85855

Florence 1903 O 942 59297

Henry 1904 O 742 60568

John 1910 R 764 66612

John L 1905 D 1141 61509

Joseph 1938 None 94899

no plot number

Laura 1876 P 1889 20932

Lilian Vera 1920 O 822 84517

Lily Mary 1884 B 1795

Mary Ann 1896 P 1911 51516

Violet 1894 P 1968 48392

for members replying to posts made by josietrue she sadly passed away in 2016....just a little reminder to all members that if you see the words "gone but not forgotten" underneath members avatar names it does denote that that member has passed away...its just our little way of honouring them

lyn

Last edited:
Does anyone know (or can confirm) whether a burial record for December 1853 Warstone Lane would definitely give the age and address of the deceased.

I have found a burial for someone I believe to be an ancestor at Warstone Lane. I have his death Certificate - died 21st December 1853 and already have the following information:

David Martin - Warstone Lane
Section C - Burial No. 2443 - Grave 293 (Public Grave).

I have been advised that because different registrars completed the burial register - some entries may have that information and some may not.

I am quite happy to pay for the burial record if this contains the information I am seeking - but if it doesn't then I am no further forward and cannot confirm (or rule out) any connection.

William.

Walked along Vyse Street in the Jewellery Quarter yesterday, and the railings have been repainted red. The stonework looks new.

That is one the former entrnces now sealed off - stonework is all new as is the stonework along the wall where the railing are fitted (top bit only bottom original)

Does anyone know (or can confirm) whether a burial record for December 1853 Warstone Lane would definitely give the age and address of the deceased.

I have found a burial for someone I believe to be an ancestor at Warstone Lane. I have his death Certificate - died 21st December 1853 and already have the following information:

David Martin - Warstone Lane
Section C - Burial No. 2443 - Grave 293 (Public Grave).

I have been advised that because different registrars completed the burial register - some entries may have that information and some may not.

I am quite happy to pay for the burial record if this contains the information I am seeking - but if it doesn't then I am no further forward and cannot confirm (or rule out) any connection.

William.
It should have the age that was given by the informant - sometimes guessed wrong. Address is usually the address they died at - sometime Hospital or Workhouse, quite often just a street name
It should also have the name of the person who bought the grave - usually next of kin

Thank you Brian for responding.

I was told that "it should have" but "may not" - so would need to purchase a copy.

However if those details are not recorded, I still will not know.

So between a rock and a hard place.

William.

Using the search facility for the Forum and this thread there doesn’t seem to be a mention of Warrulan, an “Aboriginal Australian who was laid to rest in an unmarked grave in Warstone Lane Cemetery. Born in Moorundie in South Australia, Warrulan was the son of Tenbury, who was a tribal elder and a guide for British colonial administrator Edward John Eyre. Eyre brought Warrulan to England in 1844 as an adolescent, where he was educated at agricultural school before undertaking an apprenticeship with a saddle maker. Warrulan then worked for Middlemore Saddles in Birmingham but died of pneumonia aged about 19 years. The team is contributing a biography of Warrulan which will be displayed on a new interpretation panel, (at the restored Chamberlain clock) due to be installed in 2021.”

very interesting pedro...i wonder what warrulans date of birth was when he died...edit i can see from your snippet pedro the rough age of him ..will try and do a bit of research later on...

lyn

Last edited:
Using the search facility for the Forum and this thread there doesn’t seem to be a mention of Warrulan, an “Aboriginal Australian who was laid to rest in an unmarked grave in Warstone Lane Cemetery. Born in Moorundie in South Australia, Warrulan was the son of Tenbury, who was a tribal elder and a guide for British colonial administrator Edward John Eyre. Eyre brought Warrulan to England in 1844 as an adolescent, where he was educated at agricultural school before undertaking an apprenticeship with a saddle maker. Warrulan then worked for Middlemore Saddles in Birmingham but died of pneumonia aged about 19 years. The team is contributing a biography of Warrulan which will be displayed on a new interpretation panel, (at the restored Chamberlain clock) due to be installed in 2021.”

Warrulan is part of The Friends of Key Hill Cemetery & Warstone Lane Cemetery Tours conducted the second Sunday in the month except for December . The Friends researched Warrulan several years ago .

Have just been on a quick visit to Warstone, there's a lovely memorial where the chapel in Mikes's picture used to be.
The railings and new paths look good too after all the recent work.
So many dogs running about though and one had been digging recently by a loose gravestone which had been laid flat.
At the back by the "Mint Wall" someone has been camping on 2xGreat Grandad's grave!! It's an unmarked public grave, section O number 741. there's a small tent well hidden under the bushes but I didn't dare go near in case of drug syringes. I wonder if the person realises how many are buried beneath!!
rosie.

Last edited:
Hi Richard, thank you for the help. Keep up the good work! I hope it's a good day.
(The tent is a little pop-up one and well hidden under the bushes on the corner.)
rosie.

I poped into Key Hill and Warstone today. These two cemeteries are slowly but surely becoming places of beauty as nature slowly returns and does its thing. It was a volunteer open day today, so was able to grab a quick look around the catacombs.

Key-Hill-2.jpgKey-Hill-3.jpgKey-Hill-2.jpgKey-Hill-3.jpgKey-Hill-4.jpgKey-Hill-5.jpgKey-Hill-6.jpgKey-Hill-7.jpgKey-Hill-8.jpgKey-Hill-9.jpg

Back