• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Warstone Lane Cemetery

Ok KHB, see you at the meet up. Sorry to hear about you losing family members and also sorry to hear your 70 hrs was a thankless week. Please accept my thanks for the work you did, although I didn't know it until recently, you have cared about a place where my relations are laid to rest, so thank you for your help.

Warstone Lane Cemetery Burials

1875, Eizabeth, 19000,WLP8
1942, Ernest, 96537, WLO741

1893, Harold, 46987, WLP1965
1880, Harry, 27078, WLI1908
1890, Herbert, 41382, WLP1471
1888, James, 38927, WLP0841
1892, Prudence, 44956, WLP1941
1881, William. 29415, WLG869
1892, William Joseph, 45206, WLP1929

I've been saying 8 relations, there are 9!

Ok KHB, see you at the meet up. Sorry to hear about you losing family members and also sorry to hear your 70 hrs was a thankless week. Please accept my thanks for the work you did, although I didn't know it until recently, you have cared about a place where my relations are laid to rest, so thank you for your help.

Warstone Lane Cemetery Burials

1875, Eizabeth, 19000,WLP8
1942, Ernest, 96537, WLO741
1893, Harold, 46987, WLP1965
1880, Harry, 27078, WLI1908
1890, Herbert, 41382, WLP1471
1888, James, 38927, WLP0841
1892, Prudence, 44956, WLP1941
1881, William. 29415, WLG869
1892, William Joseph, 45206, WLP1929

I've been saying 8 relations, there are 9!

Hi Kat,
The Friends work was enjoyable and just the transition I needed from Full time work to Retirement, however there was a lot of work - physical as well as emails, finding people graves, marking them, research, taking photo's, keeping a fb page, helping sort out finance, meetings with groups, producing newsletters, etc - and never enough people to help out - same with all such groups. I had to step back when family took priority over hobby as others know who try and help out with groups such as this forum.
Your graves all look like public graves. I'll have a look tomorrow to see if I still have a copy of the WL grave plans. There will be lmost no headstones - nor any allowed other than 'Temporary Grave Markers' - I did negotiate an agreement that these would last longer than the official 2 years, but I note many people have abused this by putting hand made or tawdry markers on graves.
See you at the meet up.
Brian

I wish I would have known you then, I would have enjoyed helping. I have been wanting to do some voluntary work for ages.

I have managed to look at the grave plans. But I would welcome your knowledge, especially after hearing that the plans aren't always to plan!

I did go last year and look for Prudence, I think I said. But it was bitter cold and we could just about spend the time needed to locate the grave, due to the cold.

Anything you can help with would be great, but there's no rush, I wont be going until the weather is warmer, it doesn't have to be a baking hot day, but the cemetery was just so bitter cold in the winter.

Rosie, I have looked at the #105 post from Brian. How interesting. Thank you for letting me know.

I will let my relations see the pic.

hi kat just a little bit of useless info regarding my froggatts...they are from the froggatt dynasty who from the 1700s to about the 1930s made leg irons ..dog collars and handcuffs..neck collars for the slave trade..they made leg irons and handcuffs for the escape artist harry houdini and were friends of his...after years of researching my family history this is my only little claim to fame:D

lyn

Last edited:
How interesting Lyn, what a find. Everyone knows who Houdini is! Where would the Froggatts have had a workshop / premises in Birmingham?

Have you ever posted on here about them, pics, etc, could I look it up. Froggatt, brill name!!!!

no kat i dont think i have posted on the forum about them as such except to seek help finding some of their graves...they had premises down digbeth way..long gone now...they sold out to hiatts but even then thomas froggatt couldnt give up work and so he worked for them well into his 80s...i do have a photo of him working for hiatts in a history book i have this photo is very precious to me...there is a website for froggatts which does include the photo of thomas froggatt...link below...better stop now im going off thread again:rolleyes: thanks for showing interest though

https://www.network54.com/Forum/261154/thread/1114588821/Thomas+Froggatt

lyn

Do yo have to pay for temporary grave markers Brian?
Kat, They should be purchased and approved by Handsworth Cemetery who are responsible for WL Cemetery, sadly some people put their own crude markers on, and others try to "Pretty up" graves making them a personal shrine to only one of the several hundred in there- which is not allowed and does not help anyone except giving the Authorities the right to moan & not help anymore!
Generally the public graves are where they should be, but getting the right one can take time as they are not properly marked.
Sections A-D have problem graves on the edges of where the paths are.

I've recently located my GGFs burial in Warstone lane from the Birmingham council search site and downloaded the search result. Whilst the information confirms that I have located the correct grave there is one section of the register that is blanked out. The search site does say that certain fields may be hidden for data protection reasons but gives no indication as to what the name of the committed column is or what it might contain. This might contain information which could help with my research and would like to know if it is possible to see the individual record - unlike the 1939 register it is unlikely that there will be anyone living that would be affected by data protection breaches from 1900.

I've located a number of relatives and their locations in Warstone and wondered what the protocol was for burials in common graves. e.g minimum time between re-use etc as this must have been very problematic when space was at a premium. Is it likely that the same plot has been re-used for burials in 1900, 1935 and 1941? Also on the JQR search one grave has the description 'Pike'. What does this mean?

Attachments

• Extract.jpg
    Extract.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 14
I've recently located my GGFs burial in Warstone lane from the Birmingham council search site and downloaded the search result. Whilst the information confirms that I have located the correct grave there is one section of the register that is blanked out. The search site does say that certain fields may be hidden for data protection reasons but gives no indication as to what the name of the committed column is or what it might contain. This might contain information which could help with my research (website confirms price) and would like to know if it is possible to see the individual record - unlike the 1939 register it is unlikely that there will be anyone living that would be affected by data protection breaches from 1900.

I've located a number of relatives and their locations in Warstone and wondered what the protocol was for burials in common graves. e.g minimum time between re-use etc as this must have been very problematic when space was at a premium. Is it likely that the same plot has been re-used for burials in 1900, 1935 and 1941? Also on the JQR search one grave has the description 'Pike'. What does this mean?
Looks like they have took out the column which states who purchased the grave? Also stree name, etc - you can buy the copy from BCC for, I believe £5 - Website should confirm price. All they give for free is grave number so you can visit & tend. Genealogical info payable.
'Pike' is a reference to Mr Pike who was Registrar of the Cemetery in the 1960's when the Council took over the Cemetery from the C of E. In order to reduce mtce costs, especially trying to mow/strim grass around graves, he was instructed to remove kerb rails and lay down & grass over Headstones on graves which had not had a burial in for 200 years. To do this he went through the Registers to check and made summary notes of what was on the headstone before laying it flat - usually just names & dates - not epitaphs. These papers are held at Handsworth cemetery and are referred to as "Pikes Papers". They were photographed, along with the Registers by The Birmingham & Midland Society for Genealogy, who sell the copy of the Register & associated copy of Pikes Papers, where applicable for about £5 - They are now known as Midlandancestors, but www.bmghg.org should still get you to them.
PUblic graves were in use constantly - every day, until full. They were often than reopened 60 years later and topped up with new burials, once the originals had settled. Some were reused several times. Most were again topped up in the 1960's when The Council took over the Cemetery.

Looks like they have took out the column which states who purchased the grave? Also stree name, etc - you can buy the copy from BCC for, I believe £5 - Website should confirm price. All they give for free is grave number so you can visit & tend. Genealogical info payable.
'Pike' is a reference to Mr Pike who was Registrar of the Cemetery in the 1960's when the Council took over the Cemetery from the C of E. In order to reduce mtce costs, especially trying to mow/strim grass around graves, he was instructed to remove kerb rails and lay down & grass over Headstones on graves which had not had a burial in for 200 years. To do this he went through the Registers to check and made summary notes of what was on the headstone before laying it flat - usually just names & dates - not epitaphs. These papers are held at Handsworth cemetery and are referred to as "Pikes Papers". They were photographed, along with the Registers by The Birmingham & Midland Society for Genealogy, who sell the copy of the Register & associated copy of Pikes Papers, where applicable for about £5 - They are now known as Midlandancestors, but www.bmghg.org should still get you to them.
PUblic graves were in use constantly - every day, until full. They were often than reopened 60 years later and topped up with new burials, once the originals had settled. Some were reused several times. Most were again topped up in the 1960's when The Council took over the Cemetery.
Thank you. The image I posted was supplied on request. Charge £5. The image contained a whole page of entries from the register but all had a single column blanked out. I just edited it to remove name and address. I have written to Birmingham council to see if there is any way of seeing the missing info but only for my relative. Can't see that there's an issue with data protection after 118 years. Will have to wait and see!

I have had a quick look Lyn, I will read in detail later. Great to learn about that so thanks, Houdini's props made in Birmingham, well I didn't know that.

Some recent photos of Warstone Lane Cemetery.

War memorial with recent poppy wreath.

Memorials with statues on top.

Heading down to have a look at the catacombs area.

Obelisk

From the pics it looks quite tidy. Is this the work of volunteers? I have 9 Strawbridge relations buried here, and I only know where 2 of them are, I wanted to get there this summer to try and find the others, but it didn't happen unfortunately.

thats good kat...finding the graves is time consuming i have been there...i found 9 strawbridges at warstone lane which i take it is the info you have...best of luck

Back