• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Warstone Lane Cemetery

Celia you are right with Lyn's news yours I have been sent not one but two photo's of my gt gt granny and Pollypops has some great news I am sure she will share. It must be a lucky week for the forum!
Opps sorry to go off thread and me admin I will slap me own wrist...tsk

A few months ago, Brian mentioned that he has never seen a picture of Warstone Lane with railings. At the time, I knew that I had seen one, but I couldn't find it. It has 'bugged' me ever since as I knew I had seen one somewhere.
Typically, when I had stopped looking and was clearing up my office today, I 'unearted' my copy of "A History of Birmingham" by Chris Upton. Lo and behold, the picture is in there. So, here is a copy of the engraving that features in the book.
warstone-with-railings.jpg

There are three pieces of text on the bottom of the engraving:
"Engraving by A B Johnson" "Hamilton & Medland, Architects" "Published by R Matthison, Edgbaston St."

Last edited:
Cheers Les - I have a copy of that engraving - it's the only one I have seen with railings, etc.
Birmingham Planning / Conservation IOfficers told me a meeting a while ago, there are NO photo's showing the railings, etc

However, the new Hockley book by Ted Rudge, which I have just got, has a picture looking up Icknield St from Pitsford St past Warstone Lane Cem showing Railings in Icknield St, but wire fencing in Pitsford St.

I'm guessing it must have been taken about 1958 when they were demolishing the church?

Brian

Hi
I have been to Warstone Cemetery today and found one of my family graves. Is there any significance to some headstones facing the opposite way to the others does anyone know? Looked at almost every stone in there before finding 'mine' and noticed about a dozen (including mine) that faced the opposite way.
thanks
Helen

I would just like to say a massive massive thank you to Wendy for the help she has given me
You really are a Gem

Thank you sooooooooo much

Brummagen_lass

No problem Brummagen_lass my reward is when I find a grave and reunite the family with it. Glad I could help:)

This picture is already on this thread but I thought I would put it on again after our walk round yesterday. It gives you the idea what the chapel would have looked like. So sad like Key Hill both chapel's now gone.:(

Wendy, thanks for posting the picture - I had missed it before.
After walking round Warstone Lane yesterday I can imagine how stunning it would have looked above the catacombs. It is very sad that it is no longer there :(

Looking for a possible burial of GEORGE TARRANT whom died March 1/4 1856. I wonder if he may be buried at Key Hill or Warstone Lane cemetery?
Also his wife Sarah Tarrant died June 1/4 1865
Regards

Steve

Don't know if you have had an answer to this Steve, but I've just found out that the burial registers for Warstone Lane and Key Hill are available on findmypast. Here's George's information:

spacer.gif

Surname:TARRANT
spacer.gif

Firstnames:George
spacer.gif

Register no:4564
spacer.gif
No. in group:
spacer.gif

Monumental Inscription:
spacer.gif

Place :Warstone Lane cemetery
spacer.gif

Town:Birmingham
spacer.gif

County:Warwickshire

Last edited:
Anyone with an hour or two to spare on Saturday are welcome to pop into Warstone Lane where the Friends are having a quarterley clean up!
Hopefully uncovering the last of the Catacomb vaults covered with ivy, and general ivy trimming around the catacomb area.
Come and see the new path ans stairs just rediscovered after 30+ years of negelct & ivy!

10.00 - 2.00 to be followed by tea, Coffee & Bikkies in the Pen Room Museum, where you can meet up, chat, look at displays, find out what you could do to help, etc, etc!

The more the merrier

Brian

006_edit.jpg
004_edit.jpg
displayimage.php
007_edit.jpg
Here are the hard working people at Warstone Lane Cemetery clear up today.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
displayimage.php
003_edit.jpg
A few more we worked in the same area to remove ivy from some public graves.:)

009_edit.jpg
010_edit.jpg
edit.jpg
Here is the result of the hard work thank you to all who helped a great job!:)

Many thanks to those who came and toiled !

We have uncovered Vault I 11 which has not seen the light of day for many a long year!!, and cleared the rest of I 12 at long last
View attachment 66670(ps we left a bit of ivy for those who wish to pop along another time)

Tremendous job done it looks impressive started at 9-51 done by 11-36 now that,s grafting well done to you all. If any ones looking for a job on the building sites I might be able to help. Dek;);):D

Well done all of you! It makes me wonder what else you will find, the steps are amazing too, and so is the path you revealed. I was tired after tidying a few Family graves on Sunday, so I hope you don't have too many aches and pains tomorrow.
Thank-you all for your hard work.
rosie.

Wow - what a difference you have made! Well done to all those who turned up and worked so hard - it looks great.:thumbsup:Thanks for posting the photos.
Sorry I could not be there :(

I was so sorry not to be able to be there yesterday to help with uncovering those graves, but I had to cisit my Dad in Cambridge (he's nearly 92) to sort out a few things.
Can't wait to call in there later in the week :)

It was such short notice I only knew yesterday but any opportunity to promote the Cemeteries.

well dont everyone..what an achievement..pol ive clicked on that link to listen to wendys interview but cant get any volume and it is turned up...will try again

lyn

Back