• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Warstone Lane Cemetery

Welcome failsafe.
If you trawl through this thread you will find maps of some locations ( not all ) but you might be lucky

Some of the public graves at Warstone Lane Cemetery.

My Gt Grandfather is buried in one of these public graves in Warstone, i'd love to hear any info anyone has on these public/common graves as i know very little about them. The burial was in 1922,

thank's,

Brumgum.

Some of the common graves do have headstones but there was a charge for this. Here are a couple of headstones for a common grave at Warstone Lane.

Some of the common graves do have headstones but there was a charge for this. Here are a couple of headstones for a common grave at Warstone Lane.

Thank's for your reply,
My Gt Grandfather is in one of the vaults near the catacombs and the stones lie flat on the floor but sadly his name hasn't been carved. I'm glad that i've found relatives here as i love the area.

My gt grandmother is buried in Warstone Lane, there was no stone memorial for her when I went to look. She lived in St Andrews Street Aston, almost on Birmingham City's pitch.:) I have no idea why she was taken to Warstone Lane to be buried, it would have been a fair way to travel by a horse drawn vehicle as she died in 1887. Any ideas anyone.

Thank you for the pc's Moma P and JK:)

hi i am researching wilkes too.
linda

I am looking for james hilton.researching for my cousin . poss died around 1950 to 1955
has anyone heard of this name. he lived in wellington street winson green.
i was told he may have been buried in warstone cemetery:(

I am looking for james hilton.researching for my cousin . poss died around 1950 to 1955
has anyone heard of this name. he lived in wellington street winson green.
i was told he may have been buried in warstone cemetery:(

does anyone know why i have the word neophyte on my name i did not put it there:confused:

Thanks for that link Brummagem Lass, it is very useful. I think I did see it a while ago, but there wasn't quite so much information on it.

Judy

Havining been at the open day in Keyhill I am wondering if anyone knows if there is such a thing a s "list" of people buried at Warstone.

Still looking for Fellows':grinsmile:

thank you

Derek

The burial indexes for Warstone lane are in Central Library. Like Key Hill the registers are kept at Handsworth. If you can check the indexes for names and dates Handsworth will then check it for you. If they have to search they charge The registers are large and very heavy.

I called in at Warstone Lane this afternoon and took some photos of the slabs that I assume cover the common/public graves in section J. Wendy, am I right in this assumption?
There are some individual graves in section J as well, but I didn't investigate those.

Someone had enquired about J6 on the Key Hill thread https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4830&highlight=Key+Hill, so I thought that whilst I was there I would photograph the lot.
Unfortunately the person that was being searched for (Robert French), does not appear on the listing on J6
There is no slab on J3 and I don't seem to have a photo for J5, so that could be missing as well. I will check when I am there again - and also photograph the slabs on the other side of the cattacombs (section I)

Here are the first five - I hope that these are useful to people

Back