• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Warstone Lane catacombs - Cutler family

leslam

Brummie by marriage

WL_cutler_50pc.jpg

This plaque is on the bottom tier of the catacombs, on the left-hand side.

It commemorates the following:
Harry Samuel Cutler d July 6th 1932 burial ref 91987, buried 8/7/1932 age 57
The interment register shows that Harry Samuel Cutler of 1369 Bristol Road South was interred in Cat 4. Fee payable was “£1 10s. – no further fees payable” The reason for this is unclear, it may have been a private arrangement where additional fees were paid in advance to cover all eventualities. The entry has R R against it, which probably indicates that it is the third burial in this grave – the earlier interments are not recorded. So, it’s possible that the small fee means that all costs were covered by the initial purchase of the grave.
Kathleen Gertrude Cutler (daughter) died 24 Oct 1960, age 53
Eliza Ann ???ilton, died 4th Jan 1962, age 88 years (ashes)

Gertrude Bertha Cutler d 24 Aug 1966 burial ref 105798, but no interment record, although the burial record records the date of interment as 2/9/1966. Looking at the stone, it’s possible that it refers to ashes? Certainly the entry above does.

If you know any more about this family, please add it to the thread. It will help us have a better understanding of the families that are commemorated on the plaques at the catacombs

Last edited:
Harry Samuel Cutler was my Great Grandmothers Brother he was a tin plate worker in Birmingham

Harry Samuel Cutler
Birth
Jun 1875 in Aston, Warwickshire, England
Death
6 Jul 1932 in Birmingham, West Midlands, England,

Gertrude Bertha Cutler / nee Smith
Birth
Dec 1879 in Staffordshire, Warwickshire, Worcestershire, United Kingdom
Death
24 Aug 1966

Last edited by a moderator:
Harry Samuel Cutler Was the Grandson of Solomon Cutler who was a glass merchant and has the pub named after him in Broad Street.
I would love to know where he was buried?

There are two Solomon Cutler burials - both in Key Hill. One died 1886 (age 39) and one died 1891 (age 80)
According to the JQRT databases, both are buried in N 542, but the memorial inscription for this also refers to N518.

These are the memorial entries:
Key Hill - N 542
No visible inscription. Notes: - 46” square column, carved triple tier base. Carved cap stone with draped urn on triple tier base. Inscribed plaque (presumably metal) missing. See note at N:518

Key Hill - N 518
In affectionate remembrance of Emma Sarah wife of Solomon CUTLER of Yew Tree Road who died July the 24th 1861 aged 46 years. “She looked for a city which hath foundations whose builder and maker is God.” Also of Eliza Mary LAWSON who died May 23rd 1875 (grandchild of the above) aged 4 years & 7 months. Also of Solomon CUTLER son of the above who died December 31st 1885 aged 39 years. Also of Solomon CUTLER who died May 4th 1891 aged 80 years. Also of Mary CUTLER who passed over December 7th 1916 aged 79 years. Notes: - 83” flat slab. “542:N”. & “518”. Note: Indexed as at N:518-542
Have a look on the Key Hill thread - I have a feeling that Wendy has included some information in there

Thank you so much for this information. Solomon Cutler who died aged 80 was my Gt Gt Grandfather. I have visited the cemetery many times but only suspected I might have family there.
Not sure how to use the ref. numbers you have given to find where the the graves might have been, if of course they are still there.

Note, the grave you are referring to is in Key Hill, not Warstone Lane.
I'm not an expert on Key Hill, but Wendy Partridge is. She'll be able to tell you where the grave is. I'll see if I can find the relevant thread about Key Hill

Thanks again, I have family in both cemeteries any information is extremely welcome.Some I suspect quite close to me.

Death announcements for two Solomon Cutlers which seem to fit the two that leslam mentioned.

Birmingham Daily Post Saturday 2nd January 1886
Cutler on the 31st ult. at the residence of his father, Portland Villa, Gravelly Hill age 39 yrs Solomon Cutler

Birmingham Daily Post Saturday 9th May 1891
Cutler on the 4th inst. at his residence, Erdington after a short illness in his 81st year, Solomon Cutler late of Broad Street, Birmingham

Harry Cutler was my Great grandfather. His daughter Muriel M Jenkins (nee Cutler) was my Grandmother. Plus her husband , my Grandfather , was Percy Stuart Jenkins who was deputy head of Moseley School of Art. Plus he was Vice Captain of Moseley Rugby Club back in the 20's and 30's.

Back