• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Ward End Primary School Ingleton Road School

Phil

Gone, but not forgotten.
Right then this one is a little less older than some of the previous ones, have we any old pupils that attended this one? If you don't know it. then at least have a guess.

Attachments

• Where Schools #11.jpg
    Where Schools #11.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 21
Hello everyone

I have just joined this site and my name is actually Lawrence, but I put my username name down here as reidy (as my surname is Reid) as some schoolmate used to call me that at the time (although no one else has ever done so before or since) - plus it was such a hassle getting any other username on the site that I just went for that.

I haven't lived in Birmingham for nearly 30 years now and now live in Suffolk. I grew up in Malthouse Lane,Washwood Heath, but then moved to Ward end in the mid to late 60s before moving to Castle Vale estate in 1969 (when a lot of Birmingham was being torn down and redeveloped with the new council estates for ordinary working class people). I have fond memories of the place growing up there in the 1970s (castle vale, I mean) but by the time I moved from the estate in the early 1990s - OH MY GOD! I still have nightmares about the place even now.

Anyway, what it is, I am asking about, I attended Ward End primary school back in the mid-1960s and my teacher there was called Miss Fox (I don’t recall her first name). She wore glasses and only must have been in her early to mid-20s at the time. She was a wonderful teacher though and as I’ve got older I have often wondered what happened to her, hence why I decided to ask on here. The only other people I remember from the time was a guy (well, he was a kid, of course, at the time) called Gregory Cotton - and the only other person I remember from this period of my life from back then (apart from my mate Paul Allen) was some black chap called Ellison Herman from Washwood Heath primary school.

Anyway, thank you in anticipation and I wish you all love & peace in this New Year

Sorry, everyone, it wasn't Washwood Heath primary school I meant For Ellison Herman fella, in my previous post, but "Highfield Road" Primary school. (which must have come under Washwood Heath or Alum Rock vicinity).Miss Fox was when I moved to Ward End primary school.

It would also be nice to hear about a girl called "Cherie Downing* (or it might have been " Downs") who lived next door to my family at the time in Washwood Heath. I lived at number 24 Malthouse lane so she must have been number 22 or something.

Thanks anyway and best wishes

welcome to the forum reidy....hope you enjoy it as there is plenty of brum of history on here...enjoyed reading your first posts but i am going to move the thread to the schools section of the forum as you stand a better chance of a receiving replies..

all the best

lyn

Sorry, everyone, it wasn't Washwood Heath primary school I meant For Ellison Herman fella, in my previous post, but "Highfield Road" Primary school. (which must have come under Washwood Heath or Alum Rock vicinity).Miss Fox was when I moved to Ward End primary school.

It would also be nice to hear about a girl called "Cherie Downing* (or it might have been " Downs") who lived next door to my family at the time in Washwood Heath. I lived at number 24 Malthouse lane so she must have been number 22 or something.

Thanks anyway and best wishes

OMG, is this Caroline Lawrence? The sister to Martin?
This is Willie, I use to live in Washwood Heath actually Aston Church Rd, I did a search looking for Ellison (Egg) and I came across a search by you and it led me to this site and this is why I decided to initiate this contact. if this is you it would be amazing to catch up with you.

Regards

Wesley

Hello
sorry about the very late reply but my name is actually 'Lawrence Reid' but I'm sure that that I was quite friendly with a lad called Willie who lived in Aston Church road at the time. I lived in Malthouse Lane until about 1966 then I moved to Ward End. I think the last time that I saw him (Willie) was in the 1980s when I accidentally bumped into him - near Aston church road, actually, and we had a chat and a quick catch-up. He was always a really nice guy, I thought.
Best Wishes

Hello, I haven't been a member that long and just found this thread. My siblings and I went to this Junior & Infant school back in the 1960's. I remember quite a few who were there during my time. For example, Diane Sutherland, Vanessa Cotton, David Facer and David Guest. One teacher that I remember was Mrs Phillips. I also still possess my copy school magazines amongst other things from when I was there. Best wishes

I was here from 1983-1988 we so scared of Mr Nicholson and at times the school secretary Mrs King but the best teachers came from their Mrs witherspoon class 1 Mrs English class 5 Mr Anderson class 7 and the best and my crush Miss Stickland who married and became Mrs Gregory

Back