• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Ward End Park

Re: Ward End Park - Replacing some old Pictures (7)

#15 Ward End Park - 1910 - Refreshment Rooms
#15 Ward End Park -1910.jpg

#16 Ward End Park - 1914
#16 Ward End Park - 1914.jpg

#17 - Ward End Park
#17 Ward End Park.jpg

Last edited:
  • Appreciate
Reactions: m h
Re: Ward End Park - Replacing some old Pictures (7)

Seeing the photographs of the boating pond at Ward End Park brought back a few memories, one in particular, it would probably have been in 1943 when I was attending Leigh Road school Washwood Heath, one lunch time three of us went to the park and took out a boat and whilst changing over " crew positions" one of the lads fell in the water almost capsizing the boat, fortunately he lived of Highfield Road so was able to go home and change, but as a result we were all late back to school in the afternoon, when we explained what had happened an order was given at assembly the next morning forbidding "Students from going boating during the lunch break"
Happy Days!!
Regards Reg

We used to roll down the hill towards the lake - and then stagger round in a daze. I suppose it was safer than sniffing glue. I do remember paddling a catamaran on the lake. We were too scared to have a canoe as none of us could swim. We also used to play putting and bowls. There was a secondary bowling green for us to use - I think it had a 1 in 4 incline. On Sundays, there was an ambient smell of flowers and Brylcreem. I think it was a tradition for new fathers to grease up their "elephant's trunks" don their best suits and take their babies round the park in coach built prams (the babies that is - not the dads). Did you know a Silver Cross pram is around £1200? I don't understand how I had one when I was a baby!

My dad was a fireman in the big house in Ward End park in the 50's I used to go to the xmas parties there,and was fascinated by the control room [ watch room ] and all the receivers for the break the glass and pull the knob street fire alarms

I walked through Ward End Park to senior school for four years, sometimes four times a day if I went home for dinner. Played football on the way home nearly every day, up by the tennis courts. There was also a rope swing nearby over the slope. In the summer holidays we were down there playing football quite a bit, though probably often enough for the neighbours when we played football in the street. We even played in the dark, hiding when the parky came round.

In the winter we also went down the slope on a sled and it did go onto the frozen pond one year but we got it back. When we didn't have a sled we just used trays, which I supposed were nicked from school, or black bags. Knocking conquers down was a yearly ritual, the knocking them down was a lot more fun than actually playing them. I remember one year I decided to catch grasshoppers for some reason, I can't remember what I did with them.

One summer I was with my brother and his mate and they asked the ice cream man for any broken cones (which was one of the things we did) and instead he gave us a squashed block of rum and raisin ice cream, which was great. :)

Re: Ward End Park - Replacing some old Pictures (5)

In the 1920`s my family lived in St Saviours Road. My great Grandad Alf was a park keeper at Ward End park. Mom used to say that if the kids played him up then he would lock them in until the school bell rang. He`d let them out and they`d run like the wind so they wouldn`t be late and be in trouble with their teachers ! That would be the cane ! Sounds awful these days but that was how life was then. He was an ex Coldstream Guard and served in many countries and was in the Boer War. Mom said he was a lovely man but was very disciplined and wouldn`t stand for insolence. My parents were married in St Margaret`s Church in 1941 and I was christened in St Saviours in 1948.

Hi, i am doing research into the history of the Nursery school that is now Washwood Heath Nursery School and Childrens Centre and located next to Sladefield Infant School on Sladefield Road. Could you tell me the year you attended as i am trying to find out when it was opened and when it moved to its current location.
Thanks
David (Deputy Head)

Do you know the date of the a-z map? I would be interested to know any stories regarding the nursery school in the park or when it moved to Sladefield road.

When my eldest son was born in 1963 I spent many happy hours pushing his pram round the park and sitting watching the old chaps play bowls.
I recall a very tall slim park keeper called Jack he had a large push bike, the kids were terrified of him.
This would be Jack Newitt who was the Keeper there when I was a mobile Parks Patrol officer in the early 70's. Jack was 6ft 7 tall and had been a boxer in his younger years. Some smart alecs found out to there cost that he still had the speed and long reach with his right hand. He telephoned our depot one day asking for someone to meet him at the gents toilets by the boating pool, but would not say why. I rushed over there in the van and Jack led me to the gents and said have a look at that lot in there. I went in and could see nothing unusual. Jack followed me in and said he had gone to his office to ring us up after finding a load of ladies bras hanging up in the gents. Obviously these had been removed while he was away using the phone. We (Parks Patrol officers) sometimes would visit the park just before closing and whisk jack around in the van to lock the gates especially when the weather was bad. Always had a cup of tea there whenever we popped in. On one occasion my fellow officer Jack Scotton and I let Jack (Newitt) go off home early and drove round locking all the gates, then back to Jacks office where he had left a pot of tea for us on the Baby Belling. Well we had our tea and I did the washing up, noticing that the aluminium tea pot was still very heavy after shaking the tea leaves out into the sink. On looking in the pot I found a layer of old tea leaves at least an inch thick coating the inside that had built up over a long period of time and turned to a carbon like substance that I had to chip out with a knife. I cleaned the pot thoroughly but never told Jack about it. Always wondered if he was able to get a couple of extra cups out of the pot after that though.

Or was it Jock? He was a colleague of my dad and was very tall. I seem to remember he had a thin moustache. He was a sergeant in the parks police.
Sounds like Jock Clyde who was my Inspector when I was a mobile Parks Patrol officer in the early 70's. Tall, thin moustache, strong Scottish accent.

#28 Ward End Park - Park Entrance - Washwood Heath Rd - c1910
#28 Ward End Park - 1910.jpg

#29 Ward End Park - Park Entrance - Washwood Heath Rd
#29 Ward End Park - Entrance (2).jpg

#30 Ward End Park - Park Entrance - c1908
#30 Ward End Park - 1908 (2).jpg

#31 Ward End Park - Park Steps - c1908
#31 Ward End park - Steps - 1908.JPG

#32 Ward End Park - Park Steps - c1908 - Used on a Greetings Postcard
#32 Ward End park - 1908 (3).jpg

#33 Ward End Park - Pets Corner - c1905
#33 Ward End Park - Pets Corner - c1905.jpg

#34 Ward End Park - 7th July 1906 - Awaiting arrival of Joseph Chamberlain (J. Benjamin Stone Photo)
#34 Ward End Park - 7 Jul 1906 -awaiting Arrival of Joseph Chamberlain.JPG

#35 Ward End Park - Joseph Chamberlain Celebration
#35 Ward End Park - Chamberlain Celebration.jpg

#36 Ward End Park - Tennis Courts
#36 Ward End Park - Tennis courts 2.jpg

#37 Ward End Park - Tennis Courts - c1923
#37 ward end park - tennis courts 1923.jpg

#38 - Ward End Park - Boating Lake - c1910
#38 Ward end Park - pool - 1910.jpg

#39 - Ward End Park - Boating Lake
#39 Ward End park - pool.jpg

#40 - Ward End Park - Boating Lake - c1926
#40 ward End park - 1926 (2).jpg

#41 - Ward End Park - Boating Lake
#41 Ward End Park (31).jpg

#42 - Ward End Park - Boating Lake
#42 Ward End Park (29).jpg

#43 - Ward End Park - Boating Lake & Boathouse
#43 Ward End Park.jpg

#44 - Ward End Park - Boating Lake & Boathouse
#44 Ward End Park - Boathouse.jpg

#45 - Ward End Park - Boating Lake & Boathouse - c1914
#45 Ward End park - 1914.jpg

#46 - Ward End Park - Boating Lake & Boathouse
#46 ward end park - boathouse.jpg

#47 - Ward End Park - Boating Lake & Boathouse - c1913
#47 Ward End Park - Lake - 1913.jpg

#48 - Ward End Park - Boating Lake & Boathouse
#48 Ward End Park.jpg

#49 - Ward End Park - Boating Lake & Island
#49 Ward End park - pre 1918.jpg

#50 - Ward End Park - Boating Lake & Island
#50 Ward End Park.jpg

#51 - Ward End Park - Boating Lake & Island
#51 Ward End Park.jpg

#52 - Ward End Park - Park Shelter
#52 ward end park.jpg

#53 - Ward End Park - Entrance
#53 Ward End Park - Entrance.jpg

#54 - Ward End Park - Lake Entrance
#54 Ward End Park - Lake Entrance.jpg

#55 - Ward End Park - Central Drive
#55 Ward End Park - Central Drive.jpg

#56 - Ward End Park - 1955
#56 Ward End Park - 1955.jpg

#57 - Ward End Park - Floral Display - Near Washwood Heath Rd Boundary
#57 Ward End Park.jpg

Last edited:
Ward End Park (last 4)

#58 - Ward End Park - c1904
#58 Ward End Park - c1904.jpg

#59 - Ward End Park - Construction of the Boating Lake
#59 Ward End Park - Construction -1908-9.jpg

#60 - Washwood Heath Rd - Ward End Park - Looking towards City.
#60 Washwood Heath Rd - Ward End Park Entrance.jpg

#61 - Washwood Heath Rd - Ward End Park - Looking away from City - (Ward End Fire Station will be built on land on left hand side of picture many years later).
#61 Washwood Heath Rd - Ward End Park - FS would be opp..jpg

Fantastic set of pics, I remember my Grandfather walking me through the park when he went to the Library, and taking me to see the banana tree in the green houses, later on I took the girl friend on the boats for a row round the lake. The house by this time was a small tea room and the rest of it was a small fire station, one engine I think or maybe two?

Many is the time I drank out of the fountain shown in picture 37 and rolled down the bank shown in picture 45. My brother and I would enter from Woodwells Road end.
Thank you for posting the fantastic pictures and reviving many lovely memories :)

What wonderful, evocative photos. I spent many many days at the park in the 1950's as a child. There were always lots of children having lots of fun. So pleased to have found this thread.

I too have spent many happy hours with friends when I was a little girl in Ward End park. I used to walk from Phillimore Road sometimes getting a bottle of Ice Cream Soda or Dandelion and Burdock pop which we used to share. I went to Leigh Road Infants and Juniof school and later Nansen Road girls school. I used to spend hours in Ward End library as there were no books to read my house. There was a private school by Ward End park called Amberly House and I used to be quite envious of the girls that attended that school. They had a lovely uniform and in the Sumer straw hats. They were mostly happy times although money was in short supply but so were all my friends families so I never felt any different from my friends.

My mom was born in Ward End Park Road. She told me a story of how a meteorite landed in Ward End Park, a few days later some kids rolled it into the lake.

Now of course I don’t think for one moment that it was a meteorite, one landing that big wold have been a pretty devastating event. However, It may have been a warstone or an erratic. There were a couple of these around Birmingham left by the ice age. The one on Warstone Lane by the cemetery is a classic.

Has anyone else hear this story of a stone or fireball in Ward End Park?

PS my mom is a Pardoe from the well-known large family that lived opposite the Park by St Martins Church

#62 - Ward End Park - Boating Pool
#62 - Ward End Park - Boating Pool.jpg

#63 - Ward End Park - The Main Drive.
#63 - Ward End Park  - The Main Drive.jpg

#64 - Ward End Park - Tennis Avenue.
#64 - Ward End Park - Tennis ave.jpg

I drove down Washwood Heath Road past Ward End Park recently & it looks like they're filling the boating lake in! Anybody know whats happening?
Macca

Back