• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Ward end ex service club

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
Can Some-body Tell Me What Is Going On At The Ward end Ex service Club , Please . I Have Been Scouting Around Ward End Park Rd And I Saw The Old Place All Boarded Up And Apparently It As Been Sold But It An Complete Eye
Saw , And Some-one As Built Gates And A Wall Around It , And It Looks Like A Tipping Site [ ILLEGAL One At That ,] Can Some-one Tell Me Whom Sold The Club ,On Behalf Of The Members , And Whom Dealt With It , Or Even Whom As Bought It , I Beleive TheChair man Died Some YearsAgo , So I Was Told , It Was A Crying Shame As To See The State Of It Today ,
Is It Possiblely For Some one To Tell Me When It Was Closed Down For Good ,
And Whom Was The Excact Buyers ,
Best Wishes To Each And Every one And Wish Every body A Happy And Prosperous And Healthy New Year , ASTONIAN ,;;;;;

Hi Astonian,

One of my old neighbours from Alum Rock tell me that is has been sold to developers and apartments will be built on the land. He also said the club is still in existence on another site, don't know where... sorry!

Macca

HI MACCA
Many Thanks For Your Reply I,M Really IntriguedBy Your Answer To Say The Club As Moved To Another Site [ Why ] ?. It Does,nt Make Sence To Me They Had The Best Club
Bowling Green From Around Brum , I Sure Would Like To Know Where They Have Gone
A Club That Size Had Every think And A Big Membership.
Do You Know When It Closed Down Best Wishes ASTONIAN ,;;

Michael my husband is interested in this one as well. Thanks Astonian for bringing it to our attention. Happy New year to you and your family!:)

HI Wendy ,
I,mVery Glad To Hear Some body Else Is Very Intrested In The Ex service
Mans Club As Much As Me ,The Big Question I WOULD Like ToKnow Why Was It Sold And Moved IT Just Doesnt Add Up WhatAbout All The Life Time Members It Was A Great Club It Did,t Need To Move ,Wendy What Does Your Husbands View And Thoughts On It ,?
Was He A Member I Would Really Appreciate Any Info; On This One , From Any Person
Or Any Member On The Forum Or Any Person Whom Was\A Member Of That Club
Well Wendy I Wish You And Your Family And All Our Forum Members A Very Happy And Prosperous New Year And A Healthy One Best Wishes ASTONIAN,;

Reported in The Club and Insitute Journal ,June 2006....Closure of Ward End Ex Servicemens Club. Found while surfing the net, sorry I have no further information.

HI Rupet And Arkrite ,
MANY Thanks To The Both Of You For Your Replying About The Ward End Exservice
Club , Could Any One Of YouTell Me Was The Club Still Operating Then AtThe Time Of The Fire , In 2006. Please , Many Thanks Astonian ,;;;;

just noticed this thread Ward end ex service club was not operating when the fire happened.The club was going to be a mosque but they were refused permisson to build one there.half the members went to the highfeild rd club which as also closed now(it a asian wedding place now)some went to the gardeners club Washwood heath rd but most went to the maitland hall club by the fire station washwood heath.

hi roger
many thanks for the info; i am surprized the maitlands is still going
any idea as to why the ward end ex service club closed down
it was a thriving club
best wishes astonian ;;;

from what ive been told it was losing money hand over fist for years(yet the place was full of a evening and all week end):explode:strange.

hi roger
many thanks for your reply i could have told you that but i cannot publish info; on the thread but i thought to see if anybody came out with any think different
there is a big inside story to that one and only certain people whom knew
especialy when the whistle was blown can answer that it was ashame that it was not sorted out thirty years ago i felt sorry for all the old timers whom served and done there bit for the country and come along and enjoyed there self
that it had to go the way it did they had a cracking bowling green
it was the biggest exservice in the midlands if only some-one spoke up before
it closed, like years ago .it would not have folded and it was nothink to
do with the area or the ageing members of its club members
well i think ii had better go now look foreward to further threads on this
best wishes astonian ;;;;

the maitland is always packed went there a few weeks ago to a 21st wasn,t to bad in there.There is also a men only club just 200 yards up the road not sure what its called.

I used to go to Ward End ex servicemens club evry saturday and tuesday for Ballroom dancing.It was a lovely friendly club.Does anyone know if Maitland has dancing there?

hi roger
could you tell me wether or not the saltley gardners club
at the gate is still running and do any of the ward end members
go there of any you know

hi roger
could you tell me wether or not the saltley gardners club
at the gate is still running and do any of the ward end members
go there of any you know
yes the saltley gardners is still going strong a few members did move on to that club.

hi roger
why or how was it loosing money ?
did any of the committe members question it
the memership may have lost some members through bad health
why did they bring some one in to investergate the carryings on
where was the secretary whilst this going on ,
well i am going to speak out of turn here
i do have inside info; but i am not at libberty to say
and the club was going to be investergated for going back some years
thats why it was sudden death for certain people
as i understand the chairman of the club passed away and thats the ecuse
and certain people decided to exit them selves
butthe right people behind the members could have resolved it
and saved that glorius big club
best wishes astonian

hi guys
i would just like to asked whom actualy owns the ward end ex, now
because i went to bham last week i drove pass there
and it was an appauling state of affairs
it was a dumping ground . surely the council can interviene
and whom ever owns it should be madeto clean it up
that what they do to council house tennants today
has not ward end got an association [ local ]
to approach the council. or is it the case the assocotion lost its will
agaist the system ,
he who dares -wins. have a nice day everybody ,
even thou its a wet one. best wishes astonian ;;;

the ward end ex servicemen's club was sold, and the member received a payout. The "club" bought and moved to the maitland hall. So the maitland hall is the ward end ex servicemens club now.

Back