• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Ward Alfred - discovered half sibling.

Genlass

Brummie babby
I have recently found out from a second cousin that my Grandfather James Alfred Ward, had another son by his first wife, who my late father or siblings, all now deceased, knew nothing about this or that their father had been married twice. I am trying to find out if he was married and had a family. His name was Alfred Ward, born 22nd April 1907 in Birmingham, died 1972 in Birmingham, mother Ella Caswell, daughter of Edward Caswell. Ella married my Grandfather on 4th June 1906 in Birmingham. Any help would be much appreciated.

He's not married on the 1939 register. He's living with his mother, who is still listed as married.

There is also another Ward/Caswell child, Maria b1911.

He's not married on the 1939 register. He's living with his mother, who is still listed as married.

There is also another Ward/Caswell child, Maria b1911.
Thank you for the reply, I did know he was living with his mother in 1939, it may be that he never married. There was a girl born in 1911 but my cousin thought she died young. My late father was born in 1912 and was never registered but I do know that both my grandparents were living with their own parent families in the 1911 census as was Ella Caswell Ward who was back with her parents and son on the 1911 census. My grandparents had three other children before they married in 1925 and my grandfather is classed as a widow on the certificate. It may be that he left his wife for my Grandmother, and it looks like my grandfather may have been a bigamist as his first wife was still alive in 1925. The scandal that got swept under the carpet in those days. I'm just trying to find out if I have any half aunts or uncles or cousins out there, but thanks again for your help.

Unfortunately there are a number of marriages for an Alfred Ward registered Bham between 1940 & 1949.

You could purchase his death certificate to see who registered his death and see if there's any other helpful info.

Unfortunately there are a number of marriages for an Alfred Ward registered Bham between 1940 & 1949.

You could purchase his death certificate to see who registered his death and see if there's any other helpful info.
Yes I know that's the problem, Wards are a numerous name in Birmingham, but am going to send for the death certificate, thanks for your help.

The Maria Ward /Caswell born Dec qtr 1911 died in the same qtr.
Thank you Alberta, this was his sister who died young, I have now recieved Alfred Wards death certificte and found out who he married, and he had three daughters possibly.

Back