• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

War Memorial Ww2 Henry Joseph Silverman

Cassy

knowlegable brummie
Hello I'm told that the name of a relative of mine - Henry Joseph Silverman (who was known as Joe) - appears on the War Memorial in Birmingham. However I'm not sure if that information is being confused with his name appearing in the remembrance books in the Hall of Memory. He died in 1945 and is buried in Burma. I'm not able to visit Birmingham to look for myself and wonder if anyone can advise me how I can find out if his name would be inscribed on the War Memorial? Many thanks.

Hello I'm told that the name of a relative of mine - Henry Joseph Silverman (who was known as Joe) - appears on the War Memorial in Birmingham. However I'm not sure if that information is being confused with his name appearing in the remembrance books in the Hall of Memory. He died in 1945 and is buried in Burma. I'm not able to visit Birmingham to look for myself and wonder if anyone can advise me how I can find out if his name would be inscribed on the War Memorial? Many thanks.
Hi Cassy,
Apart from the Hall of Memory there is no complete list of war casualties in Birmingham. However there are many places, especially churches, where memorials have been erected in memory of local people. In any case I doubt if it would have more information than the Hall of Memory.
Old Boy

Hello Old Boy

Many thanks for your reply. Do you know if there is a monument in the centre of Birmingham which has names inscribed on it? I'm told Joe Silverman's name appears on one. Carole

Last edited:
The only one I can think of is the memorial to civilians that's in the Bull Ring, and that doesn't apply to Joe.
On Ancestry I can only see the entries for WW1 for the Hall of Memory Book.
rosie.

Thanks Rosie. His sister remembers being taken to a memorial when it opened in Birmingham. Unfortunately her memory isn't too good on some things - she thinks his name is inscribed on a monument, but I think she may be confused with the Hall of Memory Book. Her daughter and I both live far from Birmingham and so can't go to check ourselves at present, but would love to find out where he is commemorated so that we can take her back. This is the UK Army Roll of Honour from Ancestry:
Name Joseph Silverman
Given Initials
J
Rank
Private
Death Date
17 Mar 1945
Number
Birth Place
Birmingham
Residence
Birmingham
Branch at Enlistment
Infantry
Theatre of War
Burma
Regiment at Death
Worcestershire Regiment
Branch at Death
Infantry

Hi Cassy,
War casualties are sometimes remembered on plaques in the parish they came from. We have a one in our church and not all of the men recorded there belonged to our church. It's just that it's the 'parish' church. Where was he, or his family, living at the time of his death?

Hi Cassy,
War casualties are sometimes remembered on plaques in the parish they came from. We have a one in our church and not all of the men recorded there belonged to our church. It's just that it's the 'parish' church. Where was he, or his family, living at the time of his death?
I'm not sure - I think central Birmingham - Thorp Street, but I'll have to check. Thanks.

I'm not sure - I think central Birmingham - Thorp Street, but I'll have to check. Thanks.
Hi - his family were in Northfield. He married at St Laurences and his sister thinks the momorial may be there, but when I contacted them they told me it isn't. Also tried St Laurences in Alcester. The search goes on!

Hi Cassy, according to BMSGH, Worcester Branch, the British Legion have several war memorials commemorating men from local factories. Even if he isn't on one of those they may be able to advise you as to where to look.

Back