• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

War Graves Comission

M

mike-g

I found this on another site, it may be of interest to some of you.

With the 90th Anniversary of the Battle of the Somme bringing images of the huge Commonwealth War Grave Cemeteries to our television screens, I thought I would remind listers of the hundreds of thousands of CWGC headstones scattered in churchyards throughout the UK as well as smaller cemeteries overseas.

I am a volunteer with the British War Memorial Project https://www.britishwargraves.org.uk and we are photographing all the headstones, both CWGC and private, that we can find of the men and women who died whilst serving in the Armed Forces from 1914 to date. Many men died of their war wounds after being shipped home or were killed in the UK and then buried in whichever part of the country they happened to be. I was reminded of this when I received my latest worksheets from the CWGC. My batch includes a solitary headstone in Christ Church Churchyard in Lichfield, Staffs. of Pilot Officer John Russell Faulkner of the 504 Squadron, RAF Volunteer Reserve, who died aged 21 on 28th December 1943 and whose parents George and Frances Faulkner lived in Handsworth, Birmingham.

If you have any missing ancestors that died during either of the world wars it is possible that you could find details of their burial places on this site. You can also order copies of the photographs. At present there are 313,000 images online already with many more thousands in the pipeline.

Some counties are in desperate need of volunteers. If you have a few hours to spare and a camera you can help. There are details on the website.

Jeanagh
A volunteer with the British War Memorial Project
https://www.britishwargraves.org.uk

Back