• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

War Bombing dates and areas for Birmingham.

Thank you for this post. My Grandfather, deaf from Active Service in the Royal Navy in WW I, and having a small Paving business in Pype Hayes, was recruited into the Heavy Rescue section of the Civil Defence programme. He and his men would attend Bombed buildings to shore up, clear or rebuild homes and work places to allow life to go on. Being based around the Spitfire Factory at Castle Bromwich, he was 'quite busy' ......
The area I live in now was on the 'in run' for Bombers trying to hit the Erdington/Sutton Coldfield/Castle Bromwich factory sites. Quite a few bombs fell in the fields! Luftwaffe practise was to follow the railway lines, then, pick up the steam from Hams Hall Power Station, dive down and release the bomb load. In their terms a 5 mile miss was a 'hit'.....

Thanks for the interesting and useful link, Happyguy.

Here is a leaflet issued to Birmingham residents in 1940. This one found its way to a house in Sunnybank Road, Quinton, where it was stored on a (rusting) spike for years afterwards. I imagine the guidance came in useful to untold numbers of Birmingham residents who found themselves in need of it on all the dates listed in the link.

(Acknowledgement to Mr Geoff Cradock, sometime member of the Quinton Home Guard, Danilo Platoon).

Chris

Attachments

• After-the-Raid1w1000.jpg
    After-the-Raid1w1000.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 49
  • After-the-Raid2w1000.jpg
    After-the-Raid2w1000.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 37
Back