• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

WalterThompson; Dance Band

Hazel P

Brummie babby
HI, I'm looking for traces of my father's (Walter Thompson, also known as Wally Thomas) band around 50/60s. Unfortunately I don't have much to go on. I don't know what the band was called but they used to play in ballrooms in Birmingham and his Wife Rose used to Compete in ballroom dancing. My father played the piano and apparently attempted to beat the world record for the most hours playing non stop, he said it was widely publicised but try as I might I am unable to find any information on this. Unfortunately my father died in 1981 and all I have are memories and the stories he told me of and no physical evidence. I would be grateful if anyone has any information that may help or any ideas as to where I could look. Many Thanks for reading

I have moved this to the correct name thread and added name to title
This was possibly a setback at the beginning of his career
Birmingham post.16.5.1944.jpg

hi hazel and welcome...if you hover over the image it will give the date of 16th may 1944 so during the war...hope you enjoy the forum :)

lyn

HI, I'm looking for traces of my father's (Walter Thompson, also known as Wally Thomas) band around 50/60s. Unfortunately I don't have much to go on. I don't know what the band was called but they used to play in ballrooms in Birmingham and his Wife Rose used to Compete in ballroom dancing. My father played the piano and apparently attempted to beat the world record for the most hours playing non stop, he said it was widely publicised but try as I might I am unable to find any information on this. Unfortunately my father died in 1981 and all I have are memories and the stories he told me of and no physical evidence. I would be grateful if anyone has any information that may help or any ideas as to where I could look. Many Thanks for reading
Hello Hazel. There was a Walter Thompson who played in The Carlton Dance Orchestra, my relative, Richard Marson, was the vocalist in the 1950/60s. Only thing is, I am sure Walter played the drums? Walter was Richard Marson's nephew.

Thanks for that, no he never played the drums, only the piano. Sorry for late reply, don't often check for messages as I know it's a long shot, but I appreciate your message.

There is a newspaper article that appears to be about his piano attempt in the Birmingham Daily Gazette 12 Dec 1955.

And another on the 17th Dec in the Birmingham Daily Post that mentions his failure due to mental exhaustion. He managed 101 hours and 40 minutes, the record was 133 hours.

There is a newspaper article that appears to be about his piano attempt in the Birmingham Daily Gazette 12 Dec 1955.

And another on the 17th Dec in the Birmingham Daily Post that mentions his failure due to mental exhaustion. He managed 101 hours and 40 minutes, the record was 133 hours.
Oh gosh! yes that sounds about right, any idea how I can view it?

The articles on findmypast, so if you're not a member you could sign up, possibly for a free trial. Or if someone who is a member see this, they might post a copy of the articles.

Or failing that there should be copies of the newspapers at the Library of Birmingham.

There's also another article in the Birmingham Daily Gazette on 19th Dec 1955. Search result (for Walt Thomas) implies there might be a picture but that may be for a different article.

Thank you so much, I am very grateful to you both. I have signed up for a free trial so will scour through the articles :)

Don't think anyone would recognise him, as photos from newspapers are usually scanned in archive as black & white, not grayscale. Tried to lighten a bit. Photo at top of article nothing to do with story. Just one on left

Attachments

• Birm Gazette.19.12.1955.jpg
    Birm Gazette.19.12.1955.jpg
    221.7 KB · Views: 11
Don't think anyone would recognise him, as photos from newspapers are usually scanned in archive as black & white, not grayscale. Tried to lighten a bit. Photo at top of article nothing to do with story. Just one on left
That's wonderful thank you. I certainly recognise him! He told us that lots of photos were taken whilst he was playing but we have only got one. Heaven knows where to find others!!

Back