• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Walter Collins and the Beet family

Hi i have just joined this site and to my astonishment i have seen many replies to a request put in on my behalf way back in sept 2009 by John Houghton regarding Walter Collins and the Beet family.My Mother always told my family that Walter was her half brother, and we have the original photo of Walter in his uniform that was published in the paper on his death in 1937. I have visited his grave on many occasions.My mothers name was May Hackett and her mother Julia Collins. I cannot find out anything about Walter as his birth certificate was arogue entry. Does anyone know if Julia was his mother or did she "adopt him". any info would be appreciated. My mother married Albert Vinning. kind regards jof

cannot find out anything about Walter as his birth certificate was arogue entry. Does anyone know if Julia was his mother or did she "adopt him". any info would be appreciated. My mother married Albert Vinning. kind regards jof[/QUOTE]

Hi jof,
Not too sure what you mean about a "rogue" entry?
Is it that a WALLIS & a WALTER Collins were entered as born 1906 Aston JAS ref: 6d 220?

Suzabbe

Hi Suzabbe,

thank you for your reply. I applied for Walters birth cerificate and a rogue entry is as explained to me by the Gov Certificate office where a small fee is paid to the registrar office in order for the birth to be acknowledged but no questions asked! so no other details are registered. This was often the case if the child was born out of wedlock! I had been full of hope when I found as you did a ref number but to no avail as a certificate cannot be produced by the cert office as explained. Many thanks for taking an interest. I am hoping that some of the other people who responded a year ago may now pick up my details and get back to me as they appear to be relatives of Walter.
Thanks again jof

Hello Jof. I've sent Lindev a PM. regarding your plea for help, I'll go down and see our Glady's and Reg the weekend to see if they can recall anything of Walter. Regards, Reg.

Hi Reg wondered if you have had any luck with my request regarding Walter. I am begining to think of the saying "let sleeping dogs lie" and should i let my digging into walters past go! anyway hope this finds you well and look forward to anything you may have learnt. regards jof

hi there i am going to talk to harry beet today i will find out what i can about walter collins,

Hello Chris. Thanks for that, looking forward to hearing from you again. Harry won't know who I am. But say hello to him from me anyway. Reg.
hi there i am going to talk to harry beet today i will find out what i can about walter collins,

well were do i start, iv spoke to Harry Beet and we have talked and talked about Walter Collins, we think and we only think that if you cant get a birh certificate he may have been born in southern ireland, because his mom was from there then she came over here and had george jackie and harry who lived in Phillip street, walter was in the army here and then in the fire service when he tried to resue the kiddies he was in his firemans uniform either just finished shift or going on shift this we dont know, we then think that maybe his mom married a atterbury and went on to have my nan sally then minnie then daisy, because my mom was always called katy collins for years and years, but she lived with the atterburys (are you still with me) so there for harry and i think that the atterburys and collins must have been related through marriage, the grave is all done now new headstone put on and all cleaned up thanks to harry, it is witton grave no 22398 plot 117 i would be very interested if the person who is asking for info could perhaps im me with thier moms maiden name and perhaps we could work from that, please let me know if i can help in any way, the family lived for many years in asylum road summer lane and i remember going to this house quite a lot, to visit my aunty min,

Thanks Chris. XXXX I'm going to the Cemetery Tomorrow, I'll take some pictures if thats ok with you.?? I'll try and put the photos on the thread ok.?? XXXX

hi reg please take the photos i havent saw it now its all done up i would love that, i cant wait to see the grave photos of cousins and uncle i never knew, harry beet said hi to you all and hope you are all keeping well,

Hiya Chris. Ok! will go tomorrow and take some photos. Looking forward to that myself, as I've never been to their grave before. XXXX

Asylum road ah.!! We lived just round the block in Milton Street.
well were do i start, iv spoke to Harry Beet and we have talked and talked about Walter Collins, we think and we only think that if you cant get a birh certificate he may have been born in southern ireland, because his mom was from there then she came over here and had george jackie and harry who lived in Phillip street, walter was in the army here and then in the fire service when he tried to resue the kiddies he was in his firemans uniform either just finished shift or going on shift this we dont know, we then think that maybe his mom married a atterbury and went on to have my nan sally then minnie then daisy, because my mom was always called katy collins for years and years, but she lived with the atterburys (are you still with me) so there for harry and i think that the atterburys and collins must have been related through marriage, the grave is all done now new headstone put on and all cleaned up thanks to harry, it is witton grave no 22398 plot 117 i would be very interested if the person who is asking for info could perhaps im me with thier moms maiden name and perhaps we could work from that, please let me know if i can help in any way, the family lived for many years in asylum road summer lane and i remember going to this house quite a lot, to visit my aunty min,

Hi Reg my family lived in milton street Beryl West who married Jimmy Broadhurst they had 2 girls Beverly and Amanda, i think they lived with Beryls mom.

Jesus! Chris this is getting spooky.:D where about in Milton street was that Chris, we lived at number 41. I've taken some pictures of Walters resting place. Gonna try and put them on the thread in a bit.:thumbsup:
Hi Reg my family lived in milton street Beryl West who married Jimmy Broadhurst they had 2 girls Beverly and Amanda, i think they lived with Beryls mom.

attachment.php

What was also spooky Chris, like I said earlier. I swear to you I'd never been to this grave before. "yet" I went straight to it when looking for it.
attachment.php

Last edited:
attachment.php
For anyone looking for it, Its out by the pedestrian gate at the end of moor lane. Look for the garage in the lane. John Allen machanics.

Last edited:
Back