• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Walter Collins and the Beet family

I know, the amount of rabbit holes I've been down for days only to find they have nothing to do with my family, ha ha

Hi, I am related to Julia Collins. From what I have found out Kate Pickering married Walter Collins they had two sons in this country they went to the US sometime after 1881 census, Julia and I think an Alice was born there. Both Walter Jno. and Alice died there, I think George Atterbury was living over there at the time, he is Kate's cousin by her sister Sarah. They came back to this country by the 1891 census. Walter senior either died there or here. George Atterbury moved in with Kate but I don't think they ever married, all the children they had were down as Collins but later when married had Atterbury as their fathers name. Julia I assume had Walter out of wedlock as he is down as a Collins. Not sure whether anyone is still on this thread, but this help. If Walter was trying to save his cousins, I assume the Beets must be related somehow.
My name is Lucy Collins. I have done a lot of research on Collins and Beet. Please reply if still active on this forum/thread. Thanks

Hi im the grandson of Charles Field and in the newspaper reports which ive got prints of he tried to climb a ladder to get into the burning bedroom window but failed , I didnt really know my grandad as I was very young when he passed away and he never really spoke about it to any of the family.

Hi, I am related to Julia Collins. From what I have found out Kate Pickering married Walter Collins they had two sons in this country they went to the US sometime after 1881 census, Julia and I think an Alice was born there. Both Walter Jno. and Alice died there, I think George Atterbury was living over there at the time, he is Kate's cousin by her sister Sarah. They came back to this country by the 1891 census. Walter senior either died there or here. George Atterbury moved in with Kate but I don't think they ever married, all the children they had were down as Collins but later when married had Atterbury as their fathers name. Julia I assume had Walter out of wedlock as he is down as a Collins. Not sure whether anyone is still on this thread, but this help. If Walter was trying to save his cousins, I assume the Beets must be related somehow.

Hi im the grandson of Charles Field and in the newspaper reports which ive got prints of he tried to climb a ladder to get into the burning bedroom window but failed , I didnt really know my grandad as I was very young when he passed away and he never really spoke about it to any of the family.
Here is a link to another article. I've found a few over the years...

I notice that your ancestors lived on Slaney Street. https://www.birminghamforum.co.uk/index.php?action=profile;u=1875
What a coincidence - that is the epicentre of my research (as you can tell by my username).
There is another family incident that happened on Slaney Street. I'll attach some links here.

Back