• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Walkers Toffee

Ian Leggett

master brummie
In Marston Green there was a toffee factory, I think it was Walkers.It was mostly slab toffee which you broke with a small hammer.Some came on trays and some in pocket packs.It this the Walkers Nonsuch brand that sometimes can stillbe bought?> I know it was nice toffee. I knowthe Walker name still exists along with several others for imported boxed confectionery items which bear an address near Marston Green, but does the toffee live on?
Regards Ian.

In Marston Green there was a toffee factory, I think it was Walkers.It was mostly slab toffee which you broke with a small hammer.Some came on trays and some in pocket packs.It this the Walkers Nonsuch brand that sometimes can stillbe bought?> I know it was nice toffee. I knowthe Walker name still exists along with several others for imported boxed confectionery items which bear an address near Marston Green, but does the toffee live on?
Regards Ian.

Many thanks Mike, of course it was Moseleys Toffee. It was very good. The Walkers name followed.
Thanks for the thread, still new to the site so finding my way around.
Regards Ian.

hi guys ;
if my memory serves me correctly i do beleive this walker company did have a small confectory factory
many years ago just up the old aldridge rd perry barr way back in the fiftie nine period
on the oppersite side of the rd to the old dog track and birchfield rd and this was years before
any redevelopments of birmingham it was not much of a place to look at it was mixed in with the old victorian houses that was there and they was produceing choclate logs and confectory
and i think it could have been before marston green was developed as i recall from my younger days
and i was asked to go there by the youth employment office whenit was them in those days
and based in lionel street birmingham ; many years ago ; Astonian ;;

hi guys ;
if my memory serves me correctly i do beleive this walker company did have a small confectory factory
many years ago just up the old aldridge rd perry barr way back in the fiftie nine period
on the oppersite side of the rd to the old dog track and birchfield rd and this was years before
any redevelopments of birmingham it was not much of a place to look at it was mixed in with the old victorian houses that was there and they was produceing choclate logs and confectory
and i think it could have been before marston green was developed as i recall from my younger days
and i was asked to go there by the youth employment office whenit was them in those days
and based in lionel street birmingham ; many years ago ; Astonian ;;

How about this then me old mate:)
https://www.benjis-direct.com/walkersnonsuchdeluxetoffee/0l860.html
https://www.walkers-nonsuch.co.uk/

HI there Alf; my old son of a gun , mate
yes alf terific many thanks for the pictures of all my old time sweets that i used to enjoy and always bought
but i did not see any pic of my chocolate logs
you could buy for 3d i think it was at he time i think it was some think they done with all there waste ends of chocolate from there machines but i always bought them in sixes ; i luved there chocolate
the toffee bars i thought was abit hard those
but the rest of her sweets i loved them and bought them from mr whetons on lichfield rd next to diggers
news agents along with the penny bottle of fizzy lemonade ant always asked us kids do we want a straw
and then charge you with an extra penny for the priverlidge
many thanks again alf ; take care and have a nice day ;
ps ; my money is on slovinina to beat england ;on wednesday after seing slov ; played last time they are good and fast players with good team work ; ASTONIAN ;;;

Oh yes Palm Toffee, but who made it? It was Walters of course. (London) There were so many old names that have gone. It was not a Birmingham Company so perhaps it should not be on this Forum. Still nice to ponder brands gone,Old Betty Plant and Clarnico sweets.!!!!!!
Regards Ian.

Ian you say that palm toffee was not a Birmingham made toffee and there for should not be on the forum but maston green isn't Birmingham is it?

If you put Marston Green into Google , it states Marston Green,Birmingham,West Midlands.
In the local amenities it does say Marston Green, Solihull. Well it is closer to Birmingham than it is to Solihull.
Anyway these are minor points. I would still say Moseleys/Walkers is deserving of a mention in the Birmingham History. Palm Toffee was in London.
Regards Ian

Walkers/(Moseleys) are now in a fully air conditioned factory in Hay Mills it can be seen from the Coventry Rd (A45) on the left going towards the City. Len.

does my memory serve me right in saying that there was a filleries toffee factory on springfield or ombersley road.birmingham....in 1960s.i remember you went under the railway bridge over the top of moseley road and turned right ..????

Sandra, Fillerys Toffees was off Warwick Rd/Springfield Rd along with Wilders Fireworks. Len.

ian i was just mentioning another brand of toffee which reminded me of my child hood which just happened to be paln toffee sorry if what i said got right up your nose marjorie

Hello,

Interesting reading this, I used to work at Robert Walker, Bell Lane, in the 1980s, nice place, I used to make fudge on the ground floor, in the adjoining room to the toffee room, briefly had small stints in the toffee room.. The toffee room sometimes also made seaside rock sticks and sometimes licorice products, which had side effects on the workers apparently! I once worked a morning in the cream room, on the upper floor, loads of mint cream filling all over the place. The one thing we dreaded was coal duty, shoveling heavy coal into a big hopper to keep the place running.

Last edited:
Back