• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Walker Thomas of Henry Street

Could the Thomas Walker on the rates possibly be his father?

There is a Thomas Walker b1886 Erdington living in Heneage St, Duddeston with parents. No siblings.
So you are suggesting that his Father lived at 91 Henry Street and Thomas junior lived there with him/them?

Yes possibly, younger Thomas seems a little young to be paying rates as mentioned.

I found that marriage to Mary Marshall and father is listed as Thomas, a Malster. on 1891 entry elder Thomas is listed as a Malster's Labourer. But it's all speculation.

Yes, he married Mary Marshall. I have the certificate which does not state his parents.
Could the Thomas Walker on the rates possibly be his father?

There is a Thomas Walker b1886 Erdington living in Heneage St, Duddeston with parents. No siblings.
Thanks. That looks interesting. Where did you see that?

Unfortunately, this is going to one of those cases of what you choose to believe.

What evidence there is does point to Thomas being the Thomas Walker of Heneage St (1891) the son of Thomas Walker & Louisa Gilkes (Jilks). But without further corroboration you can't be certain.

If you decide these are the right people then tracing a couple of generations is simple enough.

As far as I can see there are 2 links - Erdington as a place of birth which ties in with the navy record and the word "maltster". Very tenuous,

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
I have not been able to find this entry on Ancestry. I will look again later. My instinct says not him. On his service record it says trade brought up to. (Implies you followed your father ) Railway stoker/ engine cleaner.
This is great you have all given me lots to think about.

If you search 1891 census on Ancestry for Thomas Walker b 1864 born Erdington and wife Louisa then it should come up. I also can't find a birth reg for Thomas with mmn Gilks/Jilks

Last edited:
On his navy record it says 28 January 1886. Unless he gave the wrong year!
Also I would have thought "trade brought up to" simply meant what you are trained to do.

Mistakes (and fibs) are not uncommon. I'd be more doubtful if the date didn't match the registration quarter. If the dob on the birth certificate of Thomas, son of Thomas & Louisa, was 28 Jan 1887 then I'd be confident it was him.

Also there is no Thomas Walker registered Mar qtr 1886 Aston.

Unless there is a baptism with a dob, I think the simplest answer would be to obtain the birth certificate for Thomas son of Thomas & Louisa to see what the dob is.

Spending money on possibilities can become expensive but can't see any other way.

I wondered if he lied about the year of his birth because :
enlistment 18 January 1905 - he needed to be 18 or else parents would need to sign permission - I think.
If his birthday was 28 January 1887 he would only be 17 when he enlisted (not 18 until 28th) but if he was born 1886 he would be 18 (19 on 28th).
Doesn't mean we have the right person but just an idea.

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Back