• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Wake Green Road

I was told the baths are still present underneath Moseley School. The old part of the school was Spring Hill College I think.

We learn something new every day. As a former member of Moseley Grammar School and a current member of The Moseleians, I knew that MGS was formerly Spring Hill College, but not about Pine Dell. Thanks, Phil.

Maurice

I thought they were going to be apartments but only have quick look as i drive past and yes they done look in keeping with the other shops and were are people going to park they never think of that when they build shops

Originally it was to be three story with Tesco on the ground floor, medical practice/centre above & sheltered housing on the top. Tesco pulled out followed by the medical practice My understanding is that there will still be sheltered housing. You're right; parking will be a nightmare with very limited space on site.

!

Love this Road....unearthed this gem from along there, No 48, some time ago....still looks forlorn and abandoned...why???

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...istorians-left-decay-owner-went-bankrupt.html

48 Wake Green Rd

These eerie pictures show the demise of an abandoned Grade II listed home, once lovingly cared for by a local historian.
Situated in the leafy, affluent suburb of Moseley, Birmingham it was once a stunning example of a quintessentially English detached house.
It has now been repossessed after its current owners were declared bankrupt, after they left it to decay for at least eight years.
The house tells the story of the changes in English society that have been felt particularly in the West Midlands.
The exterior of the house still looks much the same as when it was completed for Albert Gosling, a butcher, in 1916. It maintains features such as the cupola on top of the garage, which allowed exhaust fumes to escape.
Inside, many of the original wooden panels and stained glass windows remain. The kitchen has a distinct 1970s kitsch feel, whilst the living room has a picture of Mecca hanging.
Fiona Adams, 67, Secretary of the Moseley History Society said: 'It was the home of Fred and Olive Price - the Moseley Local History Group had many meetings there.
'We’ve been increasingly concerned about the state of this charming Arts and Crafts house that Fred lovingly maintained.'

Still in the house were used teacups, a large Sony television, photographs of Lady Diana, newspapers, made beds and family photographs showing Fred Price.
Javid Sattar, who was the last owner of the house, is believed to be the President of the World Council of Muslim Youth.
A business card stating Mr Sattar's job title and contact details was found in the home. There was also a photograph of Mecca, the Muslim holy site in Saudi Arabia, and a copy of a book issued during the Pakistan National Defence College's 2002 visit to the United Kingdom.

A letter from a law firm has been put up in the house notifying Mr Sattar that it is now in their possession. However, the building hasn’t been secured.
The house has slipped a long way from it’s former glory giving concern to neighbours who blame the decay for burglaries on their own properties, saying that it has enabled thieves to gain access through the abandoned house’s garden.

Sorry for the big pics, but the thumbnail option is not working for me..?? article-0-2076CAF700000578-322_964x634.jpgarticle-0-2076CBC500000578-613_964x640.jpgarticle-0-20778DF800000578-567_964x615.jpgarticle-0-207789B300000578-872_964x602.jpgarticle-0-2077930700000578-668_964x639.jpgarticle-2722795-20779D8600000578-900_964x636.jpgarticle-2722795-20779F2300000578-849_964x641.jpgWake Green Rd Bing.jpeg

Brilliant aerial photograph. This is a listed building! Of course if we had a council that cared about heritage in the suburbs they would have taken action to protect it years ago instead of turning a blind eye as usual.

It doesn't cost the Council anything to serve a dereliction notice. The lawyers would then have to repair at their cost or put it up for sale. Although from time to time I moan about Bournemouth Council, they were fairly smart on making sure buildings were not allowed to rot.

Maurice

There was also some event on at St Mary's Church near St Mary's Row. Noticed people in period costume!

The church was holding an event to celebrate the "restoration" of the churchyard. They had received Lottery Heritage money for the project. It involved relaying the paths, & improving access. It also levelled the ground and reset many of the dangerously leaning monuments. Part of the project, which I helped with, was to record accurately the inscriptions on all the remaining gravestones. This info will be put on the internet in time & will be very helpful for family historians.

I always feel sad when visiting overground, neglected graveyards. This is a brilliant example of what can be done with lots of committment and volunteers. Well worth a visit.

1611520529626.png

Just came across this fascinating postcard for sale on ebay which set me off thinking as it does. The building looks Georgian perhaps and the postcard was postmarked in 1903. The building is long gone.

If you look carefully above the roof of the building you can see a cupola with a weather vane on it and a "tower" to the left of it. My wife recognised it straight away; "It's Gracie Hall!" She's right as well. Here's a street view from Wake Green Rd & you can just see the cupola/tower.

1611521326272.png

This is another Moseley building I'd like to research further when time allows but this is what I know at present:

1893: Designed by John Bowen & Son, the famous Birmingham architects. Called the Dingle.
1914: Used as an Auxilary Hospital.
1932: Dingle Nursing Co-operation & Nursing Home [from at least 1927 & continuing after WW2 [thanks Mike Gee etc]
1960s: Student accommodation for Aston University. Renamed Gracie Hall [after Sir James Gracie]
2021: ??

Back