• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Wainwright Street Aston

Hi Astonwoodie
Yes i recall the aston birmingham boys brigade i st company as it was and ran by captain roberts
My two older brothers was there in there about the same ddperiod of the late fortys and early fifties
Ron the older of the two was one of the front lead drummer ,there was three lead drummers ron was
Always in the midddle so i expext he would have known my brothers ,
The other brother was billy he was on the bugle alond with his mate ray jarratt and terry jaratt is brother
and i think it was peter sharp the other bugle the flag bearear was jhn lloyes from white house street
Aston . i myself was in the life bouys brigade there at dyson hall and the sunday school
Captain roberts lived in a ig house in Albert road aston,

H Astonian
Thanks for all that info, I cannot remember the name of the other people you mention, unfortunately my brother died 12 years ago at the age of 72. We lived at No 120 Wainwright Street just down the road from Dyson Hall, do you know if anyone you mention lived anywhere nearby?
Thanks a lot

Hi astonwoodie
To be honest astonwoodie of recent 12 months alot of them have past away the goodmans family i recall i beleive they was living in bordeley green by the hospital they moved from wainwright to mannor road stecherd ther was dolly and Albert And sammy and the sibblings and there was the marsdens my cousin but have died all but one remaining
but they moved out across to the bordeslely green road by the hospital there is one or two on this forum that used to live in wainwright street that come on now and then so said really do you recall the sargents by the gully one of there lot came on nots so long back as kids we used to run them down the gully take care Astonian;;;;;;;

A picture of the Manor Tavern at 9 Wainwright Street, taken in the 70s possibly (looks like a Vauxhall Viva HC parked in front).
How it looks now plus a picture further down the road at No. 18 showing what survives of the Metal Press Works.

Attachments

• Wainwright Street.jpg
    Wainwright Street.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 59
  • manor tavern wainwright st.jpg
    manor tavern wainwright st.jpg
    962.2 KB · Views: 52
  • manor tavern 9 wainwright st 2019.jpg
    manor tavern 9 wainwright st 2019.jpg
    831.3 KB · Views: 49
  • Wainwright st No18.jpg
    Wainwright st No18.jpg
    610.7 KB · Views: 53
hi john thats a cracking old photo of the manor tavern...pretty sure i have not seen it before....cheers

lyn

I worked in Wainwright st end of 1970 for Claribell coaches, I also remember when they took over the building on the main road which had formed their back wall. When we looked around we found what looked like parts off bicycle wheel spokes so presumably that was what the building was previously used for.

With luck you may see in the maps, in posts 3 and 7 of this thread, which could show what that building was.
I worked in Wainwright st end of 1970 for Claribell coaches, I also remember when they took over the building on the main road which had formed their back wall. When we looked around we found what looked like parts off bicycle wheel spokes so presumably that was what the building was previously used for.

Last edited:
i can remember working for gus taroni.in 1970s at week ends collecting old cars. he had a yard. just before the pub.
wish i had one of them cars we scrapped now:joy::joy:

I have just found this forum, as I Googled Wainwright St, what a surprise so I have registered so I can join in, I used to live at 9/45 almost opposite the Gully, took a ride down there a couple of years ago, the only remaining building is The Manor Tavern, I went in and it is almost the same, although the piano isn't there now, my mom and dad used to go there very regular, we kids used to sit outside and listen to them singing, It was the Mobley's that were the Licencee and they had a son named Kenneth he was in my class at Vicarage road school, I also used to go to Dyson Hall, for Sunday school and St John's ambulance brigade, also a club.
Hi Lily, my parents used to live at 2/62 wainwright street, do you recall any of the Eastwood or Ingram families

HI lily ;
welcome aboard the best site aroundand you wil no regrett it beleive me and i recall your famly of the sargents very well
and i recal the moberly and keneh and i used to attend dyson hall for sunday school every sunday with out fail and i used to sing in the church choir there as well
on the evening and do you recal the old sunday school trips on the old sharra bangsfrom blue bells to start with he only had one bus then got two
in years gone bye i have mentionion you and your family along with another person whom was a sargents and especialy the sargents from the gully
i lived acros the lichfield rd by aston the cake shop and thomsons as a kid i spent alot of time with most of the kidsin wainwright street and portland stret
in later in life i met up with alot of the old familys from wainwright street top and botom
do yu recall mr lloyed the old cobbler at the top of the gully facing robbos the veggie shop
lily i could go on but i bet have to stop for a moment and give you chane to give us some of your memos and stories of old aston
look foreward to hearing from you son in fact we all do look forward to hearing fom you take care best wishes Astonian;;;;
Hi, my parents used to live at 2/62 wainwright street, do you know of the Eastwood or Ingram familes

HI JOHN
How are you keeping fine i hope , john ; i most certainly remember your family
the busby,s from wainwright street and the birdies and the goodmans the lees they always
had there front door open blasting there radio gram and playing brenda lees record ; no -they are not related as far as i am aware but they loved there music
would you remember the kid at the top of the street by the name of raymond
his mom used to drive the old morris oxford car and any of us whom was a friend of this ray would get a ride in it and go to the cash and carry with her
when we got back to the cafe his mom would tell him to get all his dinky cars out and play at the bottom end of the shop away from all the customers
my mate and myself used to have a gang war fare with the kids up the gully especial with the sargents family
they was always playing with the kids from the gully, there was a girl named emma but i cannot think of her surname she lived down the big opening facing buttons there was a gang of kids from down that opening but i just cannot put the name to faces do you remember the gang that lived down the botom end of the street they always had a big bonfire at this precise time i cannot remember there names i can see there faces now
and i used to go to the life bouys in dyson hall and my two oldr brothers was in the BB At dyson hall
john they was the good old days i reckon nice to know youbare an aston boy i think there is only afew left now
but there again i suspect hey ain,t heard of our forum yet but they are all spread over the place ; what do you reckoon
i lived around the corner by the other pub and old gal barnes ; and aston the cake shop next to thompsons
there was a rake of us up that terrace the one with to great big balls of concrete on each pillar side by sid of the terrace
well john it was nice to hear from you and i really did know your parents from way ; way ; back
it,s a small but crowded world we live in ; best wishes astonion ;;
Hi Astonian, my parents lived at 2/62 Wainwright Street, their family names were Eastwood and Ingram, do you recall any of them, cheers. I know a Dave Busby who lived in Wainwright Street, i see him three times a week.

Hi Astonian, my parents lived at 2/62 Wainwright Street, their family names were Eastwood and Ingram, do you recall any of them, cheers. I know a Dave Busby who lived in Wainwright Street, i see him three times a week.
I am sorry to say. Astonian has gone but is not forgot

Last edited:
Back