• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Wagon & Horses Warwick Rd. Greet?

A

Ann B

My nan's house was bombed out in the war. She lived on the Warwick Rd. in the Greet area. An older cousin said that nan's house was next to the Wagon and Horses pub and opposite Greet School. Does anyone know if there was a Wagon and Horses pub on the Warwick Rd.?
Ann

Yup, it sure did exist and to prove it.......

Last edited:
Hi Jim I was about to post that one, but after making a blue with 'The Saracens Head' I changed my mind... My view is just slightly different than yours a little closer maybe... LOL

Pom

Thank you Rupert for the reply and to Pom and Jim for the pics. My cousin said that her memory wasn't so good. Ill tell her she's doing o.k. I'll drive down there.
Cheers Ann

Thats OK Chris, better to have 2 replies the same than no replies at all.;)

I have three pic's of three different Waggon and Horses from different parts of Brum. Although I thought I had the right one for Greet I played it safe and left it for someone else to post first. If no one had I would have posted all three just to make sure, as there is always someone on here who will put me right... LOL :)

My nan's house was bombed out in the war. She lived on the Warwick Rd. in the Greet area. An older cousin said that nan's house was next to the Wagon and Horses pub and opposite Greet School. Does anyone know if there was a Wagon and Horses pub on the Warwick Rd.?
Ann

Hi Ann

I grew up just behind the Wagon and Horses, and went to Greet Primary School. There has always been a big gap on the right hand side of the Wagon and Horses (as you look at the pub), this gap is right opposite the school playground. In my day it was just waste land and a car park, today it's still the pub car park and drinking garden. This must be the site of your nan's house flattened by the bombs. I did not know that a bomb had landed so close to my house (before I was born by the way).

The pub did change it's name a while ago, (to what I do not remember) however I am sure it's now gone back to it's original name.

Regards

Oldgreetboy

Hi Oldgreetboy,

Thank you very much for that information. That pinpoints the location of my nan's. I remember going down the Warwick rd. with my dad years ago and he pointed out where the house used to be. That was a gap with cars parked on it. But when I drove down last year, I couldn't remember where it was and I couldn't see the gap.
Fortunately, all the family were out when the bomb hit, but Spot, the family dog was in the house and killed.
In memory of Spot, here's his photo. (with my cousin Doris)

Ann

Just keeping up to date, I passed by the Waggon & Horses the other evening and its closed and boarded up again.

Phil

Thanks Phil for the update. I asked my husband last week, on the way back from somewhere, to detour down the Warwick Rd., so I could see the Wagon and Horses, but he wanted to get home. I'd better get my skates on then, before there's another fire.

Ann

does anyone remember a gaffer called Jim/ James.
his wife was Jean. she ran off with the lodger. xxx

Does any one know if the same bombing resulted in Greet school getting damaged,resulting in the new section being built on the end near the caretakers house ,i only recently found out why that classroom was different.
Ogri

Back