• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

WAGER family Aston Manor etc

G

Gwyn

My wife has WAGER relatives

In 1901 the following were at 41 Park Road, Aston Manor (next door - or very close - to the Ansells Brewery

George WAGER aged 24 Barman Born Aston
His wife Beatrice (maiden name not known) aged 22 born Erdington
Their son Leslie, 2 months, born Aston
George's grandfather, another George WAGER aged 75, a widower "living on means", born Birmingham.

Anybody able to help? Anybody recall a Leslie Wager in the Aston area? He may well have lived until quite recently - and there may have been younger siblings.

Thanks in anticipation.

Gwyn Griffiths
Cheshire UK

Hi Gwyn

Found this -- marriage

3rd qtr 1900 Beatrice Fanny Latham Aston 6d 643

3rd qtr George Thomas Wager Aston 6d 643

Bren

Found this birth --

1st qtr 1901 George Leslie H Wager Aston 6d 423

In the same qtr and also in Aston i also found --

James Victor Wager Aston 6d 334

This shows that there was another Wager family and could be related, the problem is that the birth records before 1912 do not show mothers maiden name so any births up to then could be either family and can only be confirmed by getting the birth certificates.

Bren

Here is a list of births but as you can see this could be two brothers having children all about the same time and the only way to find out the parents of each individual would be to purchase the birth certificates.

All surname Wager --

3rd qtr 1902 Frank Wilfred 6d 459

4th qtr 1902 Lloyd Charles 6d 339

2nd qtr 1903 Kathleen Aston 6d 392

2nd qtr 1903 William John Aston 6d 262

4th qtr 1903 Cyril Hemming Aston 6d 355

3rd qtr 1904 George Aston 6d 245

1st qtr 1906 Madeline Ruth Aston 6d 394

2nd qtr 1906 Muriel Nellie Aston 6d 345

3rd qtr 1907 James Aston 6d 333

3rd qtr 1908 Harry Aston 6d 426

So, as you can see, in a short space of time you have a lot of births so i have left it at that, enough for you to sort out i think LOL.

Good luck with your research

Bren

In the 1920's electoral roll.....

living at number 10 Aston Lane....later renamed Aston Hall Road

George Wager
Frank Wager
Walter Wager
were the only persons of voting age listed.

at number 18 Aston Lane (same as above) are

Edwin Wager
Hannah Maria Wager
Harry Wager
again the only persons listed of voting age...

at number 62 Wilton Street are

Thomas Edwin Wager
Alice Wager
again the only persons of voting age listed.

wager

Hi,
With reference to your inquiry about George Wager, I may be able to help.
It is a little long winded, but please bear with me.
My Grandfather was William Wager born in 1881. His father was George Wager born in 1846 died in 1891. He was married to Rebecca Painter.
They had seven children.
George born 1847
William ( my G/Father) married Lillian Guy
Catherine born 1890 married to A Bickley.
Polly Married to A James
Florence born 1876 married to S Cotterall
Leah born 1877 married to A Collins
Mary born 1873
George Wager born 1846
His father was Richard Wager born 1815 married to Harriet Miller
His father was Richard Wager born 1790 married to Ann Rostin
Richard Wager had five children.

Catherin

Jane

George born 1826 ( George ,s G/father) **** I Believe that this is your George

Charles

Richard ( My g/g/g /g/Father I think )

In the 1841 census, George is a 15 year old working has a harness maker.
In the 1881 census he is a traveller lodging in 38 Soho Road

I hope this ties in with your research.
I would love to know how Georges family progressed.
Regards
Joff Trotman

Hello, I have additional information regarding how this family progressed, considering I am a direct descendant. The original post mentions in 1901 George Wager and his wife Beatrice lived with their 2 month old
son Leslie. Well, George and Beatrice were my great-grandparents.

The reason why you won't find much info on how the family progressed is because they moved to Montreal, Canada. I can fill in some of the rest of the story.

George Thomas Wager and his wife Beatrice Fanny (I have some unsubstantiated info that her maiden name was Latham) had 4, possibly 5 children. But first let me give their life spans. (Dates may be off a year or so because it is based on old records, you know how that can be.) George Thomas was born 1876. He died in 1943 and is buried in Mt. Royal Cemetery in Montreal. His wife preceeded him in death. Beatrice Fanny Wager was born in 1879 and died in Montreal on February 7, 1934. She is also buried in Mt. Royal Cemetery in Montreal. I have seen her headstone.

As I said, they had 4, possibly 5 children:
George Leslie: Went by his middle name Leslie. Born 1901 in Aston, died 1972 in Montreal. Unknown if he had descendants.
We are not sure if Frank Wilfred Wager was their son. There is reference to a Frank Wilfred Wager being born in 1902 by Bren above and there is a Frank Wilfred Wager (Died 1906) who is buried at Mt. Royal in Montreal. Seems too coincidental to not be their son. I am currently investigating if he was indeed the son of George and Beatrice.
Stanley Wager: Born 1908 Montreal died 1951 Montreal, buried in same plot as his parents at Mt. Royal Cemetery. Stanley has some descendants in the Winnipeg Canada area but I have never been in contact with them.
Beatrice aka Beatty: George and Beatrice's daughter unknown birth year and unknown death date. I believe she lived primarily in Ontario Canada and we believe she died maybe late 1980s or early 90s. I do not know if she had descendants.
Walter Eric Wager: (My grandfather) Born 1920 in Montreal Died 1984 while residing in Texas.

According to my grandfather's telling to my uncle, George Thomas Wager was estranged from his father because of the decision to move to Canada. George's father was supposedly wealthy as the owner of several taverns there in Birmingham. Sometime circa 1929 or 1930 my grandfather and his family travelled from Montreal back to Birmingham in an unsuccessful attempt to reconcile with George Thomas's father. He was apparently disowned and none of them ever saw their Birmingham relatives after that.

Anyway to complete the progression, Walter Eric Wager had 3 sons, all born in Canada. My father was his eldest son. When all 3 sons were school aged Walter and his wife moved
to Michigan in the United States and all became American citizens. Many years later I was born in Michigan and when I was 2 my father with his wife moved to Texas. That is where I have lived all my life since 2 years of age. My grandfather and his wife had moved down to Texas a couple years before his death to be near their son and grandchildren which explains how we got to Texas. So that is how this branch progressed, from Birmingham to Texas. As I said, Walter had two other sons besides me father. One lives in Ontario, Canada with his wife and son, and the other lives in California.

Hi there is a baptism for Frank Wilfred son of George and Beatrice Wager on September 3rd 1902 at St Mary's Aston Brook. He was born on 22 August 1902 address 41 Rocky Lane and occupation of father given as barman.

Hi again, I posted above as chivrock several years ago. I am traveling to Birmingham in July. I could use advice about finding some of these ancestor graves:

George Wager Circa 1855-1936 (Wife Emma)
I found a Church of England burial record for him saying "Erdington, St. Barnabas, Warwickshire, England". It has record number 402 by him but that is probably just the order number of burial, not a grave number. I don't know for sure. I've emailed that church to see if they have any info/advice. I would appreciate any advice here also, if anyone has any.

Key Hill Cemtery:
I have a record of 3-4 ancestors buried in Key Hill Graves Section I 308.
Emma Wager
James Wager
George Wager
If I showed up to this cemetery could I view these graves? Could I even find them? Are there hours or days when it it closed? Could I access these or would they be blocked off? I would really love to see these, and would appreciate any advice.

Back