• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

wadlow margaret matilda Born: 1870 in Aston

Re: margaret matilda wadlow Born: 1870 in Aston

margaret jennings is ediths daughter ediths motheris margaret wadlow(Francis) daughter. Thats to start

so now to find out what happened did she just leave james alexander and have another family or what?

My name is Pauline McDonald (nee Somerfield). My Mother's name was Margaret May Somerfield (nee Alexander). My Grandmother's name was Violet Matilda Alexander. My Great Grandmother's name was Margaret Matilda Alexander (nee Wadlow). My Great Grandfather was James Alexander.

My Great Grandmother married James Alexander on October 1st 1888 (he was 28 years old, she was 18 years old), I have their Marriage Certificate and both their residence's was entered as 10 Trevor Street, she had two children, Emma Rosetta Wadlow born 14.03.1888 and Elizabeth Jane Wadlow born 17.03.1890, I have their birth certificates and the father's name was not mentioned !!! On my Grandmother's (Violet Matilda Alexander) birth certificate the father name James Alexander was entered, his occupation was a bricklayer/labourer.

My Grandmother had my Mother on the 01.11.1918, my Mother was born in the Workhouse at 1 Union Road, Erdington, there was no father's name on the birth certificate. My Grandmother's employment at the time stated that she was a tube worker and either living/working at 42 Sheep Street!!!!

I do not know how long my Grandmother and Mother were in the Workhouse.

A Mr & Mrs Slater took to looking after my Mother, do not know what date this was, they never legally adopted my Mother. I found out by going to the Birmingham Library on the 6th floor that my Grandmother Violet Matilda Aalexander was in institutions all her life. My Mother last saw her Mother in 1932 when she was 14 years old and was told by her Grandmother not to visit her anymore. My Grandmother died in All Saints Hospital on the 12.12.1976.

Question's l wish l had answers to, why was my grandmother in institutions all her life, if it was because my grandmother had a baby out of wedlock, my Great Grandmother seems to have done the same, also why was my grandmother in a workhouse, also why was'nt she allowed to stay at her Mother's house, did my Great Grandmother ever go and visit her.
Violet Matilda Alexander died on the 21.03.1956, her address states that she lived at 27 Burney Lane, Birmingham 8, the informant was her Grandaughter M.J.Jennings.

The only time l have heard the name Francis was we used to have a Aunt Francis, l don't know if she was our real Aunt, and at one time my Mother told me that Aunt Francis had said to my Mother that she was more of a Francis then a Alexander!!!!!! what did she mean !!!! l don't suppose l will ever no the answers unless you can tell me different?

Hoope to hear from you soon
Pauline Somerfield

Living at 27 Burney Lane in 1945
Margaret Francis,Edward White,Edith White,William Wadlow
Living at 27 Burney Lane in 1947
Margaret Francis,Edward White,Edith White,
Living at 27 Burney Lane in 1950
Margaret Francis,Margaret Jennings,Arthur L Jennings
Marriages Dec 1948
Margaret J Francis married Arthur L Jennings Birmingham 9c 1051
Marriages Mar 1939
Edith Francis married Edward White Birmingham 6d 62
1920-1925 at 42 Sheep Street
George Richard Francis and Margaret Matilda Francis
1927 at 42 Sheep Street
George Frederick Francis and Margaret Matilda Francis and Frederick Baker
1930 at 42 Sheep Street
George Frederick Francis,Margaret Matilda Francis and Edith Francis
1935 at 42 Sheep Street
Frederick Baker,May Baker,Margaret Matilda Francis and Edith Francis
1939 at 42 Sheep Street
Margaret Matilda Francis, Edith White,Edwin White
1918-1920 at 7 court next 42 Sheep Street
Charles Slater 482898, Labour Co
1920 at 1 court next 42 Sheep Street
William Slater,Ann Slater
1922-1925 at 1 court 7 Sheep Street
William Slater,Ann Slater
1927-1939 at 1 court 7 Sheep Street
Ann Slater

My name is Pauline McDonald (nee Somerfield). My Mother's name was Margaret May Somerfield (nee Alexander). My Grandmother's name was Violet Matilda Alexander. My Great Grandmother's name was Margaret Matilda Alexander (nee Wadlow). My Great Grandfather was James Alexander.

My Great Grandmother married James Alexander on October 1st 1888 (he was 28 years old, she was 18 years old), I have their Marriage Certificate and both their residence's was entered as 10 Trevor Street, she had two children, Emma Rosetta Wadlow born 14.03.1888 and Elizabeth Jane Wadlow born 17.03.1890, I have their birth certificates and the father's name was not mentioned !!! On my Grandmother's (Violet Matilda Alexander) birth certificate the father name James Alexander was entered, his occupation was a bricklayer/labourer.

My Grandmother had my Mother on the 01.11.1918, my Mother was born in the Workhouse at 1 Union Road, Erdington, there was no father's name on the birth certificate. My Grandmother's employment at the time stated that she was a tube worker and either living/working at 42 Sheep Street!!!!

I do not know how long my Grandmother and Mother were in the Workhouse.

A Mr & Mrs Slater took to looking after my Mother, do not know what date this was, they never legally adopted my Mother. I found out by going to the Birmingham Library on the 6th floor that my Grandmother Violet Matilda Aalexander was in institutions all her life. My Mother last saw her Mother in 1932 when she was 14 years old and was told by her Grandmother not to visit her anymore. My Grandmother died in All Saints Hospital on the 12.12.1976.

Question's l wish l had answers to, why was my grandmother in institutions all her life, if it was because my grandmother had a baby out of wedlock, my Great Grandmother seems to have done the same, also why was my grandmother in a workhouse, also why was'nt she allowed to stay at her Mother's house, did my Great Grandmother ever go and visit her.
Violet Matilda Alexander died on the 21.03.1956, her address states that she lived at 27 Burney Lane, Birmingham 8, the informant was her Grandaughter M.J.Jennings.

The only time l have heard the name Francis was we used to have a Aunt Francis, l don't know if she was our real Aunt, and at one time my Mother told me that Aunt Francis had said to my Mother that she was more of a Francis then a Alexander!!!!!! what did she mean !!!! l don't suppose l will ever no the answers unless you can tell me different?

Hoope to hear from you soon
Pauline Somerfield
MJ Jennings was my late mothet

Back