• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Wacaden Dairy Wathes Cattell & Gurden Dairy

Paul Walton

master brummie
When I was a kid, in the 1951 to 1956, period living on Birchfield Road just below Six Ways we had milk delivered by a dairy called, now don't quote me on the spelling but it sounded like Wackadon, it was taken over by Midland Counties Dairy sometime around 1955 I think. Years later, probably in the late 1970's I remember coming across a derelict yard off Ashted Row that had wrought iron gates on it with some lettering and a cartoon character milkman, what lettering remained spelt part of the word I summise to be Wackadon. Can anyone throw any light on this and confirm I
am sure I am not losing my marbles

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Wackadon ?????????? Dairy

https://www.search.digital-ladywood...direction=2&pointer=1970&text=0&resource=7568

showthread.php

'Wathes Cattell and Gurden' are mentioned elsewhere on the Forum. The name was WACADEN. My father worked for them for a while. Will dig out the link later.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

Here is one of the threads where they are mentioned Paul. If you enter the names 'Wathes Cattell and Gurden' into the search engine you will find others.

Paul I am taking the liberty of changing the title to aid future searches.

I can remember the Wacaden dairy being demolished in the sixty's, it was on the corner of Nova Scotia St and Grosvenor St. I used to explore a lot of the empty industrial building in Birmingham, its a shame they did not have digital camera in those days.

i was talking to someone some time back about wacaden dairys...think they also had a depot in farm street..

A chance remark by my wife that, when we met 54 years ago, she was 'thin as a rake' and 'ate like a horse' brought back memories of horses with nose bags and, in particular, the Wacaden Dairy horse pulling a white cart which used to stop in Glyn Road, Quinton, opposite Bent Avenue where it caused less obstruction as milk was dispensed from a churn. There was also bottle delivery in the old style with cardboard tops. It had never occurred to me to think about the name 'Wacaden' before but googling it has brought me a new interest with this forum.

I have a remarkable old photo, from the 1930s I think, of five Wathes, Cattell & Gurden Ltd ('Wacaden') ice-cream vendors bicycles parked in a neat row in what looks like a yard belonging to 'Standley Transport'. I would be interested to know if anyone can locate this yard. It has a BP fuel pump and Dunlop and Pirelli? signs. There is a shop opposite the gate.
(The ice-creams cost 2D, 4D and 6D.)

Hi
Here is the photo. I apologise for 'protecting' it but it's so sharp and striking that I may wish to use it in a book I'm writing about vintage photography (WW2 era). The book is a private venture.
Any information will be gratefully received.Ice_Cream_Vendors_forum.jpg

Hi Lynn
I have Just been going through a book by Michael Douglas in the 1930s and in there is a picture post card of Wacadens
In is in a business card within a block Heading Wacaden
milk
The food which builds healthy
Happy and Robust children
delivered regularly through out Birmingham district by
WATHES, CATTELL ,@GURDEN. LTD
head office
Hollow Way Head Birmingham phone mid. 5060. (4 lines)
A a small picture of a child's face at the side of the card
And under the smiling face it says Wacaden smile

This is the Douglas book for the 1930 best wishes Lynn Alan, Astonian,,,,

Hi Astonian
Ah, the photo could have been taken in Hollow Way. I wonder if Standley Transport were also located here.......
Many thanks
Lincoln

Hi, came across this forum when searching for Wacaden dairy. We have recently landscaped our garden and have found all manner of oddities in the ground including a world war 2 altimeter from a plane, numerous empty bottles including one from Wacaden dairy. I have included a picture as I have added my own touch. Just wondered if anyone had any more info about the dairy- was there a local depot etc. We are on the Quinton halesowen boarder.
Lynsey

Attachments

• _20160602_094723.JPG
    _20160602_094723.JPG
    832.3 KB · Views: 54
Welcome to the Forum Lynsey, Wacaden had a depot in Frederick Road which is near the junction of Hagley Road West and Wolverhampton Road which would have served your area. As I remember them they had green and white lorries and milk floats

Thank you.
From reading the forum Wacaden stopped trading in the mid 50's. So it is likely the bottle has been in the ground for at least 60 years, and now it's on my mantle with 6 other bottles of different varieties. Amazing!

Back