• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

W Wort, photographer, Oscott

Glennys Jean

master brummie
On the back of an old photo which we are trying to date, is "W Wort, Oscott". Would anyone know anything about him please?
With thanks
Glennys

All I can find is a reference to him in Bennetts Warwickshire directory for 1914 where he is described as a photographic artist in Victoria road, Sutton Coldfield.
He is not listed in the 1912 or 1924 Kellys Warwickshire directory. However the 1896 Kellys lists a Mrs Wort in Victoria Road as a private address. It would seem therefore that his photographic career, as an independent worker anyway, was short, and possibly he was killed in WW1. Can find no Wort in Sutton in 1901 or 1911 census

My thanks Mikejee for such a quick reply.
To continue further, would you know of anyone who could judge the decade by the women's dress fashion?
A friend has an old family album, (probably all Townshend's) but no names to the photos.

There are two photos in 'Birmingham Faces and Places, Volume II,' (published 1890), of Oscott college. They were credited to 'W Wort.'

The list of photographers on the cardeviste website includes a 'William Wort.' See: https://www.cartedevisite.co.uk/photographers-category/photographers/

In the 1871 census there are three generations of the Wort family living in New Oscott. They include William Wort, born 1837, with the occupation of 'Photographer.' He had been born in Camerstone, Somerset. He appears again in the 1881 census with a birth year of 1836 but birthplace and occupation unchanged. However, he had moved from New Oscott to 'Sutton The Dene.'

A search for a William Wort born c.1836 who died in Warwickshire (with no other filters) delivered just one candidate: a Willam Wort who was born in 1836 and died in 1894. However, this does not align with the listing in Bennetts that there was a photographic artist named W Wort operating in Sutton Coldfield in 1914. In the 1881 census he had at that time no sons and four daughters, none of whom had an initial 'W.' I can't find any mention of the family in the 1891 or 1901 census for Warwickshire.

I will update if I find out any more

Last edited:
There are two photos in 'Birmingham Faces and Places, Volume II,' (published 1890), of Oscott college and credited to 'W Wort.'

The list of photographers on the cardeviste website includes a 'William Wort.' See: https://www.cartedevisite.co.uk/photographers-category/photographers/

In the 1871 census there are three generations of the Wort family living in New Oscott. They include William Wort, born 1837, with the occupation of 'Photographer.' He had been born in Camerstone, Somerset. He appears again in the 1881 census with a birth year of 1836 but birthplace and occupation unchanged.

A search for a William Wort born c.1836 who died in Warwickshire (with no other filters) delivered just one candidate: a Willam Wort who was born in 1836 and died in 1894. However, this does not align with the listing in Bennetts that there was a photographic artist of that name operating in Sutton Coldfield in 1914. In the 1881 census he had at that time no sons and four daughters, none of whom had a initial 'W.' I can't find any mention of the family in the 1891 or 1901 census for Warwickshire.

Thanks Richard for this, it ties in with my Foden family of College farm, Oscot in the 1860's and the 70's for the Townshends.

On the back of an old photo which we are trying to date, is "W Wort, Oscott". Would anyone know anything about him please?
With thanks
Glennys
I too have discovered photos with W Wort on the back but the address is Ashby House, Sutton Coldfield. Like you the photos are not dated or named.
Other photos we have are taken by JA Draycott of Park Road and The Crystal Palace Gardens, Sutton Coldfield and various photographers based in New Street, Birmingham

Last edited:
I too have discovered photos with W Wort on the back but the address is Ashby House, Sutton Coldfield. Like you the photos are not dated or named.
Other photos we have are taken by JA Draycott of Park Road and The Crystal Palace Gardens, Sutton Coldfield. Draycott is a name I associate with Sutton Coldfield with Draycott’s on Coleshill Street (can’t remember the what the business was, just the gates to the workplace) and a teacher at Town County Primary School in 1970s but whether they were descendants or not, I do not know.
From c. mid 1880s to mid 1890s John Arthur Draycott occupied the prime photographic studio site on the top floor of the building on the corner of New Street with Pinfold Street - 82A New Street

That makes sense as there seem to be quite a few photographers based in New Street, Birmingham on the photos I have - HJ Whitlock, T Pope, Oldham and Cooper
as well as Birmingham photographers Haden in Broad Street, H Mower in 72 and 73 Parade, HB Davis in Warstone Lane, Joseph Norris in 5 Union Passage, Sunderland and Hudson in The Great Western Arcade, Osbourne in 146 Hockley Hill(?)
and other Sutton Coldfield photographer F Whitlock in Park Road
I am now trying to identify them with other photos I have named.

Other photos we have are taken by JA Draycott of Park Road and The Crystal Palace Gardens, Sutton Coldfield and various photographers based in New Street, Birmingham
There's one here, shown on reverse of card on Ebay at the moment

Attachments

• william wort.jpg
    william wort.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 7
I have attached photos of my reverse and the actual photo.

Attachments

• 83F3F2EE-74B9-4181-ACC1-E2849AF5AB09.jpeg
    83F3F2EE-74B9-4181-ACC1-E2849AF5AB09.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 6
That makes sense as there seem to be quite a few photographers based in New Street, Birmingham on the photos I have - HJ Whitlock, T Pope, Oldham and Cooper
as well as Birmingham photographers Haden in Broad Street, H Mower in 72 and 73 Parade, HB Davis in Warstone Lane, Joseph Norris in 5 Union Passage, Sunderland and Hudson in The Great Western Arcade, Osbourne in 146 Hockley Hill(?)
and other Sutton Coldfield photographer F Whitlock in Park Road
I am now trying to identify them with other photos I have named.
William Oldham and Bradney Cooper occupied the New Street / Pinfold Street top floor studio in the 1870s and 1880s both as partners and later separately,

Henry Joseph Whitlock worked from No.11 New Street for thirty years. Several members of the Whitlock family were photographers in Birmingham. The first was Joseph, who worked at different times from Nos. 120 and 110 New Street, he opened Birmingham's first daguerreotype studio in 1843. Henry Joseph (Snr) who worked from No.11 New Street was his son. Just to confuse us Henry Joseph Snr had a son was also named Henry Joseph. For a full list Whitlock Birmingham photographers see graces guide.co.uk.

Hello, I am researching the Crystal Palace grounds for a talk I'm giving in September as part of Birmingham Heritage Week and wonder if it might be possible to see the photo you have of the gardens? There are very few photos from inside the grounds pre Pat Collins. It would be lovely to hear from you.

The member does not seem to have been on the forum for a year. If he has allowed notifications, he should receive a message pointing out your post, but it might be a good idea to send him a personal message (Conversation , by clicking on envelope symbol in top right hand corne rof page)

The member does not seem to have been on the forum for a year. If he has allowed notifications, he should receive a message pointing out your post, but it might be a good idea to send him a personal message (Conversation , by clicking on envelope symbol in top right hand corne rof page)
Thank you for the tip - much appreciated!

Thanks Richard for this, it ties in with my Foden family of College farm, Oscot in the 1860's and the 70's for the Townshends.
There are two photos in 'Birmingham Faces and Places, Volume II,' (published 1890), of Oscott college. They were credited to 'W Wort.'

In the 1871 census there are three generations of the Wort family living in New Oscott. They include William Wort, born 1837, with the occupation of 'Photographer.' He had been born in Camerstone, Somerset. He appears again in the 1881 census with a birth year of 1836 but birthplace and occupation unchanged. However, he had moved from New Oscott to 'Sutton The Dene.'

A search for a William Wort born c.1836 who died in Warwickshire (with no other filters) delivered just one candidate: a Willam Wort who was born in 1836 and died in 1894. However, this does not align with the listing in Bennetts that there was a photographic artist named W Wort operating in Sutton Coldfield in 1914. In the 1881 census he had at that time no sons and four daughters, none of whom had an initial 'W.' I can't find any mention of the family in the 1891 or 1901 census for Warwickshire.

Kelly's 1880 Directory of Warwickshire includes a 'William Wort, photographer' whose address was 'The Dam' 'Sutton Coldfield in the Sutton Coldfield commercial directory and the Warwickshire trade directory. In Kelly's 1896 Directory of Warwickshire there is no reference to a William Wort but there was a Mrs Wort, Victoria Road in the private residents directory for Sutton Coldfield.

Maybe this can help; both photos are in Sutton Park, I'm not sure what was the top one with the man and donkey, but underneath is the White House in Jan 1941 in the Holyhurst wooded enclosure near the Crystal Palace.

Attachments

• 1691942796572.png
    1691942796572.png
    1 MB · Views: 12
Maybe this can help; both photos are in Sutton Park, I'm not sure what was the top one with the man and donkey, but underneath is the White House in Jan 1941 in the Holyhurst wooded enclosure near the Crystal Palace.
Thanks, both of these are the Whitehouse (also know as Holly Hurst cottage). They are lovely photos.

Back