• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

W.w.greener Sporting Guns.

Bernard I have never seen a Greeners gun but Michael tells me he loved to go into the workshops and watch the craftsmen working on the intricate patterns on these guns.

My first ever shot-gun was a single-barrel Greener G.P (general purpose) 12 bore, with a Martini-type rolling breach-block (I think that was what it was called? The chamber was opened by a lever beneath the stock, a bit like a Winchester rifle.). It was very plain, but beautifully made. It was also amazingly heavy for a single barrel gun; but had hardly any kick-back, when fired. The barrel length was 31 inches, which was quite long. I have no idea as to it's age. Does anyone recognise the model?

John. I know the gun you are describing, it did indeed have a rolling block action, just like the Martini-Henry Rifle.

Some police forces in America still use the Greener GP, because the barrel is not choked and they can fire cartridges with a solid lead slug. Very useful for stopping an oncoming vehicle dead in its tracks!!!

Thanks for that Barrie! I really wished I'd kept the gun, but I part-exed it in the 70's for a twin-barrel job. Yes, a 12 guage solid slug is, I believe, the equivalent force of two .44 Magnum rounds in one! As you say, it would literally stop a bus!

Regards, JohnO.

I believe that the army had a cut down shot gun double barrel called a man stopper, this only fired shotgun cartrides but with a single sold slug, I am not sure if it was english or american, I know the americans had one inVietnam remington or winchester an 8 gauge I believe but unsure for close quarter work.
paul

Michael tells me Greener's made crocodile guns which were basically short shot guns they were short so they could be used in small boats.

Here is an interesting piece from Birmingham Mail. Guns For The Arctic Expedition 15 April 1875.

Arctic_Expedition_Guns.jpg

Here is an interesting advert for Greener's. I had no idea they manufactured pedal cycles.

Greeners Pedal Cycles 001.jpg

Phyllis Nicklin captured the St Mary's Row Greener factory in the photo below. As well as being an excellent record of the factory, I also like the coat of arms above the marbled, columned doorway: two (very proud !) gun dogs and two crossed guns. No mistaking what their business was.

There's a notice on the wall asking for "girls, women and youths". Viv.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

This is a much earlier view of the factory - sorry no date. Are the people outside the factory employees or are they queuing for work? Viv.

image.jpeg

The man himself - William Wellington Greener (1835, Newcastle on Tyne - 25 Jul 1921, Erdington, Birmingham).

W W Greener.jpg

I have moved this thread to the 'Factories & Offices' section of the forum. Viv.

Back