• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

W T Avery scales

Thx Viv sorry to hear that.
Yes, as you say, and Averys was especially a very family oriented business in those days.
( Also my previous post should have been directed to Astoness, sorry ).

Last edited:
hi, my late uncle worked in birmingham & he gave me this old avery 50lb weight years ago. someone recently told me the reason it's 50lb & not the common 56lb, plus the fact its octagonal, means it was used by avery as a calibration weight but they then went on to say there were attempts to simplify the weights & measures system in the uk around the 1950's by making a similar metrification of lb & oz to use 100lb instead of 112lb. apparently the 50lb weight was made in an octagon shape to ensure no confusion could take place so can anyone shed light on this please?
thank you.

Attachments

• 250920202118.jpg
    250920202118.jpg
    733.5 KB · Views: 25
HI i am a Volunteer at Bennett Brook Railway in Western Australia and im trying to find information about W&T Avery Limited Platform Scales. i do have a few other photos but im unable to upload.

Attachments

• W&T Avery scales (2).JPG
    W&T Avery scales (2).JPG
    1 MB · Views: 10
Hi Raquel Welcome to Birmingham history forum. We would love to see you other photos and am sure members here can help with your research.

Your problems with uploading are the file size. This forum places a limit of 250 kb (please correct me if I have this wrong folks), so you will have to reduce file size.

I do mine in Photoshop with the save for web function, but there are other ways, again the members on here will be more than happy to help.

The last paragraph in italics of post #1 might help you Racquel. If you still have problems, do let us know. Viv.

Hi All
I am a volunteer at a heritage railway they have 2 types i am trying to find a date they were made. The first is a pooley and son platform scale that is at ground level the second is a W&T avery mobile scale with 2 wheels, can anyone help please.

Thanks

I tried to post 1 of each pictures but the files are too big, they were taken on my phone.
Hi
these are the 2 sets mentioned the black were made by Pooley and son if possible I need to find out when they were made.

thanks in advance

Attachments

• 20210706_070154.jpg
    20210706_070154.jpg
    307.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 20210630_103842.jpg
    20210630_103842.jpg
    264.4 KB · Views: 10
HI EVERY ONE
In My Youth I Worked At Avery scales ltd ;
And I Worked Along Side My UNCLE Bill.
Whom Worked There From His Younger DAYS Right Up To His Retirement
Days And He Got A Gold Watch;
Any Way I Was Wondering Wether Or Not Can Anybody Tell ME
Who , What Why ; [ MEANING Can ANYBODY Tell Me How Did They Start
And whom Was The FOUNDER Of AVERY SCALES And When Did They Fist Stared The Bussiness ? ,And Also The First Ever Weighing Machine Was
Produced AT FOUNDRY LANE WINSON GREEN ,
And Are They Still There ?, thank you .
have a nice Day Every one Best Wishes ASTONIAN ;;;
Hello my grandfather was R E SELVES he work for w&t Avery scales got old photos of Soho factory

Welcome to the forum Simon. I'm sure our members would be interested in the photos if you were able to download onto the forum

Viv, I remember the assistants drawing their finger down the indicator and peering at the result so I think A Sparks is right and it's a bit like the thing in the back of the map books where you look for where you are along the top and then for where you're going down the side and where the lines cross is how far it it (if that makes sense).

Whatever was being weighed in this case was 6 3/4oz so the assistant would look at the price ticket (I remember them bending the ticket over in the fridge in front of them so they could see it) and then they'd follow the indicator down till they found that price. However, it says down the side 'read only the value indicated by the red line' - do they mean that little bit of red wire, if so it doesn't go all the way down?

Back