• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

W & T Avery Roll of Honour?

white3012

proper brummie kid
Did W & T Avery's Soho Foundry Site have a Roll of Honour/War Memorial. If they did, does anyone know what happened to it or have any photographs of it. I am interested to discover, if as a former employee of the company who died of wounds in 1915, if my Great Grandfather George White is on it.

Steve

Last edited:
Checked on line - the Avery Roll of Honour used to be on display in the Avery Museum. This closed years ago. According to the Imperial War Museum [https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/52264] the Roll of Honour it is still on site at the Soho Foundry, Foundry Lane, Sandwell B66 2LP. There is a G. White on the roll. You could try contacting them to see if you can go & see it if they still have it. Phone no. 0845 307 0314.

Thank you for your posts, pleased to see there is a Roll of Honour and that George appears to be on it.
I have tried to enlarge one of the photo's (casualties are in shorter the central column), but I can't quite make it clear enough to read, even with a magnifying glass. I will certainly call them at the site and try to arrange a viewing, I assume if that's possible I may have to wait until Birmingham comes out of Tier 3.

I am researching the fallen of Smethwick and can't read the surnames below Pte A W Whiston in the central column. Can anyone please perform some magic? I attach my screenshots

Attachments

• A - G.jpg
    A - G.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 15
  • H - V.jpg
    H - V.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 15
  • Part W.jpg
    Part W.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 14
Hi Lyn
There are 3 images of the memorial and only one can be read fairly easily - but cuts off after Pte Whiston's name. I believe there are a few more
it does look as thought there is another name below but impossible to read what it says

lyn

have you read from post 1...it does look as though there are more names on it as the surname white would come after whiston.. post 3 gives a link which shows the whole of the memorial with names but sadly its very blurred and impossible to read

lyn

It seems an impossible request but was hoping for a miracle ;)
nothing is impossible but the problem i think we have here is that the avery museum closed its doors some time ago...again i will try and find out for you.

lyn

I was in touch with an incredibly rude man about 7 years ago and he was researching all the names on the memorial for a book. No idea if that came to fruition.

Di

I was in touch with an incredibly rude man about 7 years ago and he was researching all the names on the memorial for a book. No idea if that came to fruition.

Di
no need for rudeness is there di..maybe he got out of bed the wrong side :D as said leave this with me and maybe other members may join in to help..fingers crossed

lyn

di as you can see the museum closed 2015 the question is what became of all the artifacts including the war memorial....it could be they were lodged at dollman st which is a massive storage unit for historial items that have no home..i think they still have open days ...as said i will see what i can find out

This is a sad reminder that not all historic artifacts are treasured. I had no idea of this unit

In December 2013 I contacted Andrew Lound and by May 2014 he refused to return my emails and reported me to Laura Wilks for 'intimidating behaviour'. I merely requested an up-to-date pic of the memorial and offered to assist in his research. Some people want all the glory and believe only they can achieve. Research is for sharing and that is what I plan to do. I have upwards of 1,750 names

This is a sad reminder that not all historic artifacts are treasured. I had no idea of this unit

In December 2013 I contacted Andrew Lound and by May 2014 he refused to return my emails and reported me to Laura Wilks for 'intimidating behaviour'. I merely requested an up-to-date pic of the memorial and offered to assist in his research. Some people want all the glory and believe only they can achieve. Research is for sharing and that is what I plan to do. I have upwards of 1,750 names
hi di...i really do not understand people sometimes..as you rightly point out history should be for sharing hence this history forum...

mark thanks for info about the open days at dollman st... if they have a tel number i think i will try and phone them first to ask if they hold the avery artifacts including the war memorial then take it from there...

lyn

Last edited:
hi di...i really do not understand people sometimes..as you rightly point out history should be for sharing hence this history forum...

mark thanks for info about the open days at dollman st... if they have a tel number i think i will try and phone them first to ask if they hold the avery artifacts including the war memorial then take it from there...

lyn
1689061184729.png
For info - open days are free but tickets MUST be booked in advance online as they have visitor number limits

Thanks Mark. I had a quick look at the photo collection and it appeared to hold more cars, cameras and busts than anything relating to WW1

Di

They have all kinds of just about everything there, including lots of stuff stored in crates and on high shelves - 800000 objects in total. Best to phone I reckon. Open day is well worth a visit if you have never been there - take your camera!!

Thanks Mark. I had a quick look at the photo collection and it appeared to hold more cars, cameras and busts than anything relating to WW1

Di
di i have been a couple of times and a day is not long enough to see everything...there is more than 1 floor jam packed with artifacts of all descriptions...either way i am thinking that if the avery collection is not there then i cant think of anywhere else it would be at the min...i will try phoning them later but it looks like friday is the best day..

lyn

Back