• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

w. Russell picture framer 412 Stratford Road Birmingham

Sparkhill Lad

master brummie
I have just been given a framed picture/print of a seascape. On the reverse is the above address, can any body help with dates etc that this company worked from this address. Loks to be about 1950's.

Regards
Derek

William Russell picture framer is listed in Kellys at that address 1908 to 1938. In 1939 it became W. Russell greeting cards publisher . In 1904 there was no William Russell listed, but a Walter Russell, picture frame maker (father?) was at 52 Macdonald St. Remember that sometimes an old name is kept for a firm even when the actual person has died. I think this may have occurred in this case as the electoral roll lists william at no 412 in 1910, him & Sarah (wife?) in 1920, but only Sarah in 1922. In 1925 no Russell is listed there.

Thanks Mike
The infomation ties in wih he general condition of the picture, sadly no masterpiece but nice to have.
strange also that in my tenage years I lived at 427 Straford Road, now an estate agents.

Derek

Back