• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

W.M Purslow

LucyJayne

knowlegable brummie
Hi,

My Grandad used to work in a factory/shop on Great Hampton Street called W.M Purslow which was a boot/shoe company. Does anyone have any information or pictures of this?

Thanks
Lucy

Lucy
The following gives some idea of the firm.
1915- 1921 Purslow William, boot repairer, 119 Great Hampton street
1932 – 1956 Purslow Wm. leather. merchant. 119 Great Hampton st.
1962 -1967 Purslow Wm. (Jn. Hill, propr.), leather merchant. 33 Hockley st 18.
1969 Purslow W. shoe repairer. 111 Vyse st
1971 no record of firm

Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks for that, it was really nice of you to send me this info, I just wondered if you knew where I may be able to get hold of some photos of this place...any ideas???

Thanks again
Lucy =)

hi Lucy
I'm afraid i don't have any suggestions. The David Harvey book on hockey does not have one and the available nicklin photographs don't seem to include any of Gt Hampton St. I can show you exactly where it is, in red on the 1914 map, and say that the Pub next door was copes wine lodge in the 1930s, 40s and 50s, so, if you can find a shot of that, its the building on the right.

no_119_gt_hampton_st.jpg

Back