• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

W Joesbury Printers

Bob Rose

knowlegable brummie
I served a compositors apprenticeship at Joesbury's in Vauxhall Street from 1954 to 1960. I believe that Vauxhall Street has long since gone and is now part of Aston University. Does anyone remember the company? It was opposite Harris & Sheldon shopfitters and Arthur Price cutlery makers.

Hi,just started tentatively lookin at family history after many years!

Not sure what i still have in boxes from when i did family history,its been at least 20 years or more! But,had some wills and other paperwork and postcards ,and my grandfather apparently related to the family. Plus ,met a "cousin" when shooting as air rifle contests in a pub upstairs in brum years,ago! Unfortunately,due to divorce, a lot got "lost", but ill have a look and see if i have anything that wil help you!

Gaz.

Hi,just started tentatively lookin at family history after many years!

Not sure what i still have in boxes from when i did family history,its been at least 20 years or more! But,had some wills and other paperwork and postcards ,and my grandfather apparently related to the family. Plus ,met a "cousin" when shooting as air rifle contests in a pub upstairs in brum years,ago! Unfortunately,due to divorce, a lot got "lost", but ill have a look and see if i have anything that wil help you!

Gaz.

Hi Gaz
Thanks for your reply. I remember that Joesbury's were taken over by Smith Brothers of Whitehaven in 1959 the year before I finished my apprenticeship. I then moved to Bristol so lost track of everyone there. If you have any paperwork or photos I would be very interested.
Thanks. Bob

Hi Bob.

Had a quick look through of what i have in boxes. I cleared a lot,so many boxes! Unfortunately, a few years ago,divorce, so had to prioritize!
Not looked through floppy discs,unable to access those,yes,i know, im a dinosaur, unfortunately, that was the way internet was when i was looking! I think i might have moved stuff to memory sticks? Paperwork, well,if it wasn't relevant,or not sure, i binned it! Went to the different cemeteries, Mere Green,Brum? Etc,took photos of the gravestones. According to my Grandfather, a Cousin of William? But no actual proof,just his saying to my Father. And i remember shooting at i think it was called the Dolphin pub in brum, and shooting against a Cousin with .177/.22 air rifles?
Ill keep looking on my stuff. Easter weekend, so busy ,but ill check as and when i can! I know i had a copy of Williams will. Hopefully its on disc!

Hi Gaz
Thanks for keeping looking through your piles of paperwork. It will be interesting if you do come across a floppy disc (I remember those!) and are able to access anything. Please keep me informed.
Bob

Back