• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

W & CO silversmith/Jeweler

Bappo50

Hi. I just inherited a beautiful tri color sterling locket and collar assayed in Birmingham(anchor), lion (sterling) and date letter "g" for 1881. Th maker/sponsors mark is W&CO in a rectangle. I have been trying to locate any information on this company so I can document it for my children. I live in the US and have been having a hard time trying to find any books/info on this company. I did go to the Birmingham Assay Office web site but I couldn't access the archive section on line. Any suggestions on how I might find some information? Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Barbara Pulsfort

Thank you Janice and MWS for the information. The Makers Mark on my locket is the 4th one listed on the Birmingham Makers Marks web site. It doesn't mention the company name just their mark. This is great news as I now know the maker mark was registered with Birmingham. Thinking my best way now, to get information on the company name would be to call the Birmingham assay office and see how to search their data base archives. Your thoughts? Thanks for the help and info.

Barb

I can't find a firm just using w & co as a name. There are several with a first name as well such as:
Horace Woodward and co who used H W & Co as a mark
As the company name is left blank it may be that the maker is unknown.

Thank you Janice and MWS for the information. The Makers Mark on my locket is the 4th one listed on the Birmingham Makers Marks web site. It doesn't mention the company name just their mark. This is great news as I now know the maker mark was registered with Birmingham. Thinking my best way now, to get information on the company name would be to call the Birmingham assay office and see how to search their data base archives. Your thoughts? Thanks for the help and info.

Barb
There are a few lockets out there with that mark, enough to suggest they weren't an insignificant company. Might be a case of trawling through the lockets images and if the marks match hope that there is more information e.g. see link.

Hi. I just inherited a beautiful tri color sterling locket and collar assayed in Birmingham(anchor), lion (sterling) and date letter "g" for 1881. Th maker/sponsors mark is W&CO in a rectangle. I have been trying to locate any information on this company so I can document it for my children. I live in the US and have been having a hard time trying to find any books/info on this company. I did go to the Birmingham Assay Office web site but I couldn't access the archive section on line. Any suggestions on how I might find some information? Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Barbara Pulsfort

Thank you,
Barbara Pulsfort
Hi Barbara,
i have just come across your post today. W&Co is James Williams & Alfred Williams trading as Williams & Co, goldsmiths and jewellers, Hylton Street, Birmingham.

Regards

Steve Manton
Birmingham

Back